Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Superhero Fashions (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 July 2012 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 1  

"Fierce competition" between Marvel and DC seemed to increase directly proportionate to the influx of fans-turned-pro. Old timers didn't bother about such nonsense. Remember, it was Stan and Carmine who made THIS happen:

Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2012 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 2  

I really like Cyclops and Beast's graduation uniforms. I like the green and yellow of Jean's costume, but prefer her to have a mask covering her hair than just the domino-style mask. I think her first costume in X-Factor was my favourite.

Tony Centofanti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2012 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 3  

Interesting back story about the afore-mentioned greatest cross-over of all time.

I've read it was done, because a film producer told Stan that Superman vs. Spider-Man had the potential to be a blockbuster film. 

I have a dog-eared copy of the original out in my living room. It was probably my favorite comic as a kid. I really enjoyed the biography pages, and all the two page spreads.....

I'm going to go pull that out right now and give it a Saturday-looking over with my fiancee.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 July 2012 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 4  

I think her first costume in X-Factor was my favourite.

••

Ugh!!

More costumes (male and female, here) that would not work on real human bodies!

Rick Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2012 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 5  

There's also the fact that over the years, the sleek, form-fitting look (in all its variations - with/without cape, emblem, mask, etc.) has come to instantly scream "superhero!", in the same way that a police officer or a soldier are instantly identifiable by their uniforms. It's a good visual shorthand to use - so when you see a comicbook starring a new character who looks like this:

...it's pretty clear what this guy is. And it'd be the same in a movie, or even walking down the street in real life - people associate the look with superheroes, without a second thought.

(Brief aside - every time I think of the way Marvel took a fun, fresh, original character like Gravity, and moronically wasted his potential, a small part of me wants to go and throttle the individuals responsible...)

Heck, if the anal-retentives need an 'in-universe' justification, surely it's even more true that, in a world where superheroes 'exist' as a part of everyday life, the traditional look would be an instant way of identifying a superhero from other folk. That, and form-fitting, uncluttered designs that work around the contours of the human body (Gil Kane being the master at this, IMO) are definately going to be very easy to move around in, regardless of whether you're flying, fighting, leaping around like a gymnast, etc. Indeed, 'gymnast' is a good example of a 'real world' profession that requires a similarly sleek, ergonomically-sound outfit.

So, with all that in mind, go back to the 't-shirt and trousers' look for Hawkeye, and ask yourselves: at what point does such an outfit look practical, comfortable, durable, etc., and tells the public "I'm a superhero, therefore one of the good guys, meaning you're in safe hands"? Or is he now reduced to 'a guy in regular clothes, with a bow'?

To paraphrase Jeff Goldblum in 'Jurassic Park', "Ah, now eventually you do plan to have superheroes in your superhero comic, right?"

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 July 2012 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 6  

I like the basic design, but does even "Gravity" have to have a big X on his chest, tho?

Armindo Macieira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2012 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 7  

Uniforms are "uncool" these days.

They remind current creators that they were once geeks... now they're cool!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2012 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 8  

Emblem fail.  You'd think the artist would notice that it reads as "X" rather than inward pointing arrows. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2012 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 9  

I've never seen Gravity before in my life.  Should I even bother Googling this dude?  If Arthur from THE TICK were an X-Man....

"Not in the X, not in the X!"

Edited by Craig Robinson on 07 July 2012 at 12:55pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 July 2012 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 10  

You'd think the artist would notice that it reads as "X" rather than inward pointing arrows.

••

Perhaps he did!

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2012 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 11  

Since when does gravity pull from the sides? (If that`s what his emblem is meant to represent)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rick Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2012 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 12  

Actually, that was a deliberate gag - Greg Willis (Gravity) comes up with what he thinks is a clever symbol based on his 'gravity manipulation' powers (the arrows all point inwards to the centre of the circle)...

...and yet he keeps getting things like newspaper reports on the 'latest member of the X-Men', or bystanders asking "you're not one of them mutants, are you", to his increasing frustration.

Similarly, there's a fun exchange where another neophyte street-level hero (the 'Greenwich Guardian') chides him on his choice of name, since it basically tells foes what his powers do.

It was a really fun series about the trials and mis-steps of a new young hero trying to make his way in the Marvel Universe - perfect entry-level material for new readers without being bogged down in crossovers and events, while making the most of being set in the great fabric of the Marvel Universe. It could have easily made for a great animated series or movie, with cameos from Spider-Man, Rhino, and so on, and attracted a whole generation of new readers. Yep - I honestly believe that, marketed properly, Gravity could have been the shot in the arm Marvel's comics have needed for too long, and nearest thing to 'the next Spider-Man' or similar.

But, as Tom Brevoort has said flatly so many times, the House of Other People's Ideas can't be bothered to get behind an original character, when it's so much easier to re-package the Avengers/the X-Men/Spider-Man and squeeze another few dollars from an ever-dwindling readership. Why put in time and effort for a potentially huge return, when you can sit on your backside doing the same-old same-old, and get a guaranteed, risk-free pittance? That's just common sense, surely!

sigh...

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version