Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: 50 years of SPIDER-MAN! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 1  

Kinda surprised there hasn't been thread on this, yet.

This year marks the 50th anniversary of the publication of AMAZING FANTASY # 15, the first appearance of the ever-amazing Spider-Man (cover-dated August, 1962, released June 5, 1962).

Spider-Man is my single favorite comic book character. No other character has grabbed me in quite the same way. He's very easy to relate to--a geeky kid who has all sorts of everyday problems to deal with (but lets loose when he's behind the mask). And he has some of the coolest powers and equipment ever (not to mention my favorite costume design), as well as the richest supporting cast in comics.

There's just an...intimacy to the character, a personal aspect that a lot of others don't have. His life and his problems are very involving, so much so that the ongoing soap-opera of Parker's personal life can often be just as entertaining and engaging as the superheroics and the action.

And, in true underdog fashion, Spider-Man went from a one-shot character in a cancelled book to Marvel's top-seller and corporate mascot. Quite an accomplishment!

For me, these few images (and their accompanying word balloons) kinda of say it all. Remarkable that so much of the character and his world were set up in that first 11-page story.

Amazing Fantasy 15 - Spiderman - First Appearrance - Peter Parker - Rescue - Web Swinging - Jack Kirby

I've tracked down and collected every issue of every Spider-title from about 1962-1993 or so (with most of the first 40 issues of AMAZING in Masterworks form--everything else is original). One of these days, I'm gonna sit down and read 'em all in order, soaking in all of that history (good AND bad).

Certainly, the Lee/Ditko run is iconic and unsurpassed, but I also love the Lee/Romita, Conway/Andru, Stern/JR JR, and DeFalco/Frenz runs, among others.

Unfortunately, in the last few years, I've become completely disconnected from the character. My prime reading years were during the bloody Clone Saga, and, even then, at my young age, I was not at all pleased with that trainwreck of a storyline. Certainly, even before that, the problems had started. Moving Parker to college was the first step. The death of Gwen Stacy was another. The marriage was yet another.

Still, I maintain that many good Spider-Man stories were told thoughout all of those periods in his history. I don't think the core of the character really began to disintegrate until the 90s. I've pinpointed the exact moment when things truly and irrevocably began to go south for the character, in my humble opinion: the "return" of Parker's parents at the end of AMAZING # 365 (the 30th anniversary issue, interestingly enough). This led to "Lifetheft", "Pursuit", the "I am the Spider" nonsense, the Clone Saga, etc., etc., etc.

I did enjoy JB's CHAPTER ONE for what it was--a fun retelling of the old stories with a few new twists. Not that anything could ever top Lee/Ditko, of course. But that series certainly didn't offend me, as it seems to have offended others.

I hung around for the JB/Mackie reboot for awhile, and tried the JMS stuff (despite the Spider-Totem garbage in that run, JR JR's art was still gorgeous!), but "Sins Past" made me quit modern comics altogether. It was the last straw--a totally icky and shameful story that ruined several characters and mined history for shock value, with Gwen Stacy (a 40-years-dead character whom fans and writers just...won't...let...GO!) front and center. Again.

I've sort of kept tabs on events since then, but thinking of the sorry state of Spider-Man feels like a knife-wound in the chest that won't stop spurting blood! So, I've focused on other things in the past few years. But, losing my connection with my favorite character has been a hard thing to accept.

Now, however, that wound has scabbed over pretty well, and I recently found myself digging out the Masterworks and leafing through the Lee/Ditko run, which is still one of the top two best superhero comic runs ever, IMO (the other being Lee/Kirby's FF). Few characters are as FUN as Spider-Man in his prime. Good times or bad, Peter Parker is a guy you just have to root for.

Unfortunately, this revisting of old stories has also led me to check up on current events, and I see that nothing's changed. The current crop of "creators" continue to mine and destroy the character and his rich history.  Even if things someday come close to sanity and proper Spider-storytelling, I just don't think I could get attached to the book(s) ever again.

Certainly, 2008's deal with Mephisto to negate the marriage stands as one of the worst and most controversial Spider-stories ever (and, given what's gone down in the last two-plus decades--the Clone Saga, "The Other", CIVIL WAR, etc., that's saying something!).

Regardless of one's position on the marriage itself, I think we can all agree that the basic premise of that story was contrived, inappropriate, and shockingly out of character for everyone involved.

That aside, my recent, morbidly-curious research has unearthed a number of developments that just make me sad. To name but a few:

* Spider-Man as a member of the Avengers.

*Aunt May found in bed with--and later marrying--J. Jonah Jameson's father.

* John Jameson marrying the She-Hulk.

* J. Jonah Jameson becoming Mayor of NYC, and mutating into a spider-monster.

* Spider-Man having casual sex with the Black Cat while keeping his mask on.

* Peter Parker getting drunk.

* Peter and Mary Jane living together for a while prior to Brand New Day (but never having gotten married thanks to that little deal with the Devil).

* Mary Jane banging a drug-addicted actor.

* Flash Thompson losing his legs in Iraq. Flash Thompson as Venom.

* Mac Gargan as Venom, who kills kills and eats people (and Skrulls). Mac Gargan framing Jonah Jameson for murder by leaving a dead stripper in his bed.

* The resurrected Norman Osborn (a turn of events I still loathe) becoming the leader of the Thunderbolts--then S.H.I.E.L.D.--then his own "Dark" Avengers (whilst wearing Iron Man-esque armor), before killing the Skrull queen and invading Asgard.

ASGARD.

* Harry Osborn is back from the dead, and a divorcee who later knocks a chick up and fights Norman Osborn while wearing armor of his own, before getting shot in the chest by Norman and Gwen Stacy's bastard son.

And so on...

What.

The.

F***.

So, Spider-Man remains bogged down in ickyness, lack of proper characterization, and one idiotic and inappropriate stunt after another. And movies that misrepresent the character and his world to the general public. Big surprise.

Anyhoo, I've reached a point where I just don't care anymore. Spider-Man is a character who had his time, as are all my other favorites whom I no longer feel connected to. I don't see any kind of reunion with them in my future. It's just...over.

Frankly, it's not even worth getting worked up about. I'm just going to sit back, enjoy my old, good comics, and chill.

Anyhoo, sorry for the negative rant! It's been a bit cathartic, though. 

Now, let us sit back and celebrate this great character and his history. Although I suppose there's room for discussion about the negative stuff, as well. After all, Spider-Man's been "broken" (for me, at least) for nearly half of his publication history.

Favorite stories? Favorite writers/artists? What do you like (or dislike) about Spider-Man and his world?

Chime in, Spidophiles!

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 17 July 2012 at 4:42pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 5:10pm | IP Logged | 2  

So, Spider-Man remains bogged down in ickyness, lack of proper characterization, and one idiotic and inappropriate stunt after another. And movies that misrepresent the character and his world to the general public. Big surprise.

Anyhoo, I've reached a point where I just don't care anymore. Spider-Man is a character who had his time, as are all my other favorites whom I no longer feel connected to. I don't see any kind of reunion with them in my future. It's just...over.

This is exactly the way I feel,  not just about Spider-Man, but Marvel & DC in general these days.  The old guard has mostly left.  The fanboys have taken over.  Comics are like bad fanzines now.

Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 5:36pm | IP Logged | 3  

Greg Kirkman wrote:

That's too bad.  I can't say the same for me.  Spider-Man has been, is and always will be my all-time favorite superhero.  That I haven't read his adventures in years because I feel like you do hasn't severed the connection to him for me, however.  I still buy Essentials and the ocassional Omnibus starring him.  I recently grabbed up a couple of pint glasses with Romita art on them.  I am still connected to those stories I read decades ago and AF 15 remains one of my favorite single issues of any comic bar none.  I hold out hope that some day, someone will return him to what made him great and make his stories all-ages once again.  No more of this three times a month publishing schedule with every third story arc just "OK".  Stop having him participate in every friggin' supherhero team in the MU.  Keep his and his supporting cast's sex lives out of sight.  

Peter Parker is still there, somewhere.  Deep down.  Someone just has to care enough to rediscover him again.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 5:52pm | IP Logged | 4  

Totally agreed on all points, Matt. And, I should note, AF # 15 was voted the single best Marvel story of all time a few years back. I tend to agree--those 11 pages are pure gold. Way cool to see the scans of the original art (anonymously donated to the Library of Congress awhile back) in the new softcover ASM Masterworks.

I should be more clear, though. I'm not saying that my love for the character is over, or that I can't read old stories without fully enjoying them.

I just can't get into the current stuff, nor do I think I'll ever be able to get into future stories. And, for some years, now, my love for the old stuff had been somewhat tainted by the looming spectre of the modern stuff.

Sure, someone may eventually rediscover the real Spider-Man, but my pessimistic side tells me that the damage has been done.

Never say never, though, eh?

Anyway, now that some time has passed, I'm finally reconnecting with the REAL Spider-Man, the one I love so dearly. I'm finally able to just let go of my frustration with the current state of things, and enjoy the hundreds of great comics that I already have.

I'm been buying the lovingly restored softcover Masterworks volumes, and one of the biggest thrills of my life as a fan was having Stan Lee himself sign the title page of my Lee/Ditko ASM Omnibus some two years ago.

I've also been revisiting the various cartoons and TV series, and have been enjoying those, as well.

So, I suppose the REAL disconnect is with the current incanration of the mythos. And now, I'm finally finding my way back to the old mythos. And it's been great!

And, hey, would I have even started this thread if I'd really stopped caring?

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 17 July 2012 at 5:59pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 6:00pm | IP Logged | 5  

Oddly enough over the last three weeks, I've read every issue from Amazing Fantasy #15 - Amazing Spider-Man #142, and it never dawned on me that this is his 50th anniversary year.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Frank Leeoh
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 6:02pm | IP Logged | 6  

WOW!

The moment you got to the WTF points, it totally confirmed my decision to not buy anything Spider-Man.

Personally, I have never been able to get into/thru/pass the clone saga storyline.

It's just a big road block that has never lifted. Everything afterwards is just noise.

Only purchased due to JB's involvement.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Philpott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 6:15pm | IP Logged | 7  

That stuff really happened ?  Thats scary !  

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 6:18pm | IP Logged | 8  

It's what happens when writers are more concerned with doing something BIGGER!!! and MORE SHOCKING!!! rather than just telling good stories.

Edited by Robert Bradley on 17 July 2012 at 6:18pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 9  

Wow, June 5, 1962?  I thought "street date" was always 4 months ahead of the cover date back then.  It wouldn't have been May of '62?

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 6:21pm | IP Logged | 10  

Well said Greg. All of it it. You put to words how I feel, and others I'm sure.
The 30th anniversary story with Peter's parents 'coming back' was the clear start of the downward spiral for sure. Seems like when MARVEL went out of business in bankruptcy Spider-man never returned.
But it doesn't matter, we still have lots of reprints.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 6:22pm | IP Logged | 11  

Certainly, 2008's deal with Mephisto to negate the marriage stands as one of the worst and most controversial Spider-stories ever (and, given what's gone down in the last two-plus decades--the Clone Saga, "The Other", CIVIL WAR, etc., that's saying something!).

----

Nothing will ever be worse than "The Other" for me. While making a deal with Mephisto was pretty stupid, at least Peter was acting stupid to save Aunt May. "The Other" had bits like the villain eating Spider-Man's eye; Spider-Man killing the villain by biting his neck; Aunt May, MJ, and Peter using old Iron Man arms to storm Latveria to use Doom's time machine; Spider-Man growing new powers like arm spikes; and Peter being able to regenerate a new body.

I've been enjoying the current Dan Slott run, with Big Time and Spider-Island being highlights. The tone of those stories feels more like Spider-Man than when I started reading the Spider-Man comics (around the time of Kraven's Last Hunt), when the books felt really dark. I preferred Marvel Tales to the then-current Spider-Man books.

Certainly, Slott's stories can't avoid some the excesses of the modern Marvel Universe, but short of a reboot of the entire universe, I don't see any writer being able to do so.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 17 July 2012 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 12  

I think Dan Slott is doing a wonderful job on the current title - I missed a lot of the bad runs that seem to have worn people down.  Slott's writing is fresh, fun, and engaging.

The current art is hit or miss.  The best version of Spider-Man can be found on this very forum, when JB does his take on the commissions.  JB captures him perfectly, especially the motion!

Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version