Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 31 Next >>
Topic: 50 years of SPIDER-MAN! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 1  

What is he doing to that chimney?

Back to Top profile | search

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 2  

Crouching on it. Climbing down it. Landing on it. Any number of things?

David Plunkert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 3  

Except for the little bit of left foot and leg suggesting most of his body is in front of the chimney my initial impression was that he's simply draped over the chimney. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 4  

He looks like he's 12 feet tall in that pic.

I was a big Ramos fan when he had his couple of creator-owned books. I remember really liking the vampire one. When he went to Marvel, he started getting really, REALLY exagerrated with his anatomy and I didn't like it as much. That Spider-Man panel from the previous page actually looks painful.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 3:29pm | IP Logged | 5  

I dig Ramos's work.  It's fun, there's a lot of great movement and expressiveness in his characters, and I just about always enjoy reading a book that he's drawing.  And I think you can play the "what's wrong with this drawing" game with any number of artists, especially the more stylized one.  I can only imagine that there's another message board somewhere online where people are doing the same to Kirby and Ditko.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 3:49pm | IP Logged | 6  

Agreed.

Gary Olson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 7  

I still have a fondness for Jim Starlin's Marvel Two-In-One Annual with Spidey and the troops.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Plunkert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 9:41pm | IP Logged | 8  

Quote--And I think you can play the "what's wrong with this drawing" game with any number of artists, especially the more stylized one.  

So no comment should be made unless positive?
Artists are judged by their pictures. Some links in the chain are weaker than others....

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2012 at 9:46pm | IP Logged | 9  

When I first started to buy comics on a regular basis,My first Amazing Spider-Man was issue #296 with Alex Saviuk on art duties. I loved everything about it. The story was the beginning of a great two-part Doc Ock story,it had Peter Parker actually redesigning his web-shooters out of plastic and adding a little warning light to let him know when his web-fluid was about empty(I don't think that has been used since those issues to my knowledge). At any rate,Saviuk's art was,to me,perfect for the book and for a time he was my favorite Spidey-artist. When McFarlane came along,I initially liked it.ASM #'s 298 & 299 were decent enough and I kinda dug the look of the webbing.With #300 though,I was turned off by it and it took a while for me to get used to the way he drew Spider-Man. What I really didn't care for though is how Marvel then made all the other artists(Saviuk on Web of Spider-Man and Sal Buscema on Spectacular Spider-Man)draw the McFarlane look and how that style just didn't feel right. How Mcfarlane drew is his own style and having other artists copy that look takes away from artist individuality IMO.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2012 at 12:56am | IP Logged | 10  

So no comment should be made unless positive?
Artists are judged by their pictures. Some links in the chain are weaker than others....

Not saying that at all.  I just felt that the comments were drifting into a nitpicky direction, complaining about every last bit of Ramos's art.  Whether it's his best drawing or not, Ramos is a skilled, talented professional artist, and reading comment after comment about what people don't like about this particular drawing was getting pretty tedious.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Sue Ward
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2012 at 1:54am | IP Logged | 11  

I first read Spider-Man in the early 1960's and Steve Ditko is the only one that can draw him the way i like.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 July 2012 at 4:54am | IP Logged | 12  

I dig Ramos's work. It's fun, there's a lot of great movement and expressiveness in his characters, and I just about always enjoy reading a book that he's drawing. And I think you can play the "what's wrong with this drawing" game with any number of artists, especially the more stylized one. I can only imagine that there's another message board somewhere online where people are doing the same to Kirby and Ditko.

••

There's a difference between "stylized" and bad. Unfortunately, it's a difference that has been badly damaged over the past few decades.

<< Prev Page of 31 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version