Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Superman: Man of Steel volume 7 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2012 at 4:29pm | IP Logged | 1  

Very pleased to hear that DC's continuing their reprints of the JB/Wolfman/Ordway era Superman and finally releasing volume seven of their Superman: The Man of Steel paperbacks.  I've got all of these in single issue format, but it's nice to have them on a bookshelf so I can grab 'em for cross-country flights or subway reading.

Item #4 on the coming attractions list is going to be of interest to most of the people here, too:  An entire book of Jose-Luis Garcia Lopez Superman comics:

Throw in another Jack Kirby Omnibus, Silver Age Wonder Woman Archives, Tales of the Batman featuring Archie Goodwin and a few other surprises, and it's yet another reminder that we're living in the golden age of comics reprints.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2012 at 9:49pm | IP Logged | 2  

Throw in another Jack Kirby Omnibus, Silver Age Wonder Woman
Archives, Tales of the Batman featuring Archie Goodwin and a few
other surprises, and it's yet another reminder that we're living in the
golden age of comics reprints.

======
Too bad we can't say we're living in another golden age of COMICS!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2012 at 11:40pm | IP Logged | 3  

No offense to JB, of course... but for me the BIG news here is the Garcia Lopez trade. Of course I'm happy to see another trade reprinting my favorite Superman ever (JB's, of course). But a reprint of the Garcia Lopez tales means that now an Italian edition could be finally done... and that's stuff which we haven't seen in 30 years, here.

Anyway, I'll not pick any of them: I already own the single issues and the older Italian editions, too, so I want these comics are read by people who don't know them!

Edited by Francesco Vanagolli on 15 August 2012 at 11:43pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2012 at 11:41pm | IP Logged | 4  

Too bad we can't say we're living in another golden age of COMICS!

Depends on what you like, I guess.  There are webcomics and graphic novels being published today that wouldn't have found an audience 10 or 20 years ago, the big publishers have some really talented people working for them, the smaller publishers are producing some really amazing stuff, and more and more of the best stuff of all time is being published in collected editions. 

Reprints are an integral part of the comics scene right now, and if you never wanted to read a comic newer than 20 years old ever again, you'd still have a hard time keeping up on all the great stuff that's being published right now.  The mainstream comic book industry could use a few million new customers, but comics as an overall art form is seeing some incredible stuff right now. 

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2012 at 12:00am | IP Logged | 5  

But getting back on track, I totally agree with Francesco.  Really looking forward to the Garcia Lopez book.  He's on that short list of artists who seems to have never drawn a less than stellar comic book.  Finding a badly-drawn Garcia Lopez book is probably harder than finding a unicorn covered in four-leaf clovers.

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2012 at 12:46am | IP Logged | 6  

Very happy about this. These books represent some of my happiest memories as a comics reader, and it's nice to have them collected.
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2012 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 7  

Now if we could just get a giant-sized reprint of Batman vs. The Incredible Hulk...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version