Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Comic Book "Professionals"? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2012 at 9:14pm | IP Logged | 1  

We discuss a lot of things that are wrong with the industry these days, here, on this board. From the publishers, to the creators, the distributors, and retailers, there is a lot that needs to -- and should be -- done to ensure the business will prosper and grow. Unfortunately, I see too many things that show that the people in charge really don't have a clue.

Case in point: Rob Liefeld has been going off the deep end, it seems, on his Twitter attacking a number of industry people viciously. Somewhere amid his bile he may have a point, but he is cussing and wailing away like a punk kid in a schoolyard brawl. Now, Liefeld has never been the most professional guy, but you have Marvel's Senior Vice-President of Publishing, Tom Brevoort, allowing Liefeld's antics to goad him into lashing back, and throwing around implied threats.

THIS is "professionalism"???

Someone in his position shouldn't be letting himself be pulled into a public pissing contest.

Sad... really sad.

Here's the scoop:

Rob Liefeld unleashed.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Marcel Chenier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2012 at 10:06pm | IP Logged | 2  

This is just a reminder that the comic book industry has more turds running the show than I imagine anyone would care to count. 
Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2012 at 10:10pm | IP Logged | 3  

I read this junk last week.  Pathetic, putrid behavior, from all involved.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2012 at 11:34pm | IP Logged | 4  

Tempest meet teapot.

Rick Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2012 at 12:31am | IP Logged | 5  

Well, it's partly a sad indicator of the sort of personalities working in the biz currently (on the one hand, Liefeld's known for his ego, and not being one to shy away from controversy - to put it mildly. On the other, why on earth did anyone else have to wade in - and publicly, too? Let him rant on, and don't stoop to his level - it just looks unprofessional) - but it's also symptomatic of the general 'public ego massaging' and 'airing of dirty laundry' that Twitter seems to facilitiate.

Anyone remember Damon Lindelof's public jab at January Jones, in much the same way? Say what you like about her acting skills on your own time (or Lindelof's writing...), but on the internet soapbox that is Twitter? You're not just being indiscreet - you're inviting other people to 'listen'. It's not even like Facebook or a forum/messageboard post, which is technically 'public' - when one 'tweets', they are doing the internet equivalent of yelling things in a public area using a loudspeaker.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/x-men-first-class-lost s-195590

But that said, knowing that to be true, it goes back to my first point - professionals in the comicbook biz and other highly-public professions should know better, and try to maintain a professional image, rather than 'exposing themselves' through idiotically-lax use of social media. C'mon - it's not exactly difficult to act with a bit of dignity, is it?

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2012 at 1:11am | IP Logged | 6  

It seems to me as if this electronic generation now grows older, but they never "grow up".
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2012 at 1:13am | IP Logged | 7  

I'm kinda hoping that Liefeld starts tweeting that he is the Warlock of comics, that he has unkillable Tiger Blood, and that he is Winning.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2012 at 1:36am | IP Logged | 8  

That`s the big mistake people make on Twitter,Facebook,Forums etc,they respond to narcississtic attention seekers which feeds their attention craving,often(not always) the best thing to do is just ignore them and let them dig themselves in deeper all by themselves without tarnishing yourself.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2012 at 3:18am | IP Logged | 9  

I went on Liefeld's website once and the guy came across quite unhinged. Now he seems to be burning all kinds of bridges.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2012 at 4:52am | IP Logged | 10  

I'll say one thing...there's a picture of one of his
Deathstroke covers in one of the linked articles, and it's
clear that while his art *may* have improved a bit, his
design aesthetic remains firmly rooted in the 90s - lookit
those enormous shoulder pads!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2012 at 5:24am | IP Logged | 11  

I watched this all unfold on Twitter the other day.  I have to say, as petty as it all was, Snyder's,"Your twitter feed's the best thing you've written all year," comment was a gem.

---

I'm kinda hoping that Liefeld starts tweeting that he is the Warlock of comics, that he has unkillable Tiger Blood, and that he is Winning.

Damn, that's pretty good too!  Rob Liefeld & Charlie Sheen:  TWO AND A HALF EGOS, coming fall 2012.  One of the funniest aspects of this really unfortunate episode had to be the "you still can't draw feet" shots people made at Rob on his Twitter page.

This whole thing just strikes me as a contrived free publicity stunt for Rob. He's leaving DC and going back to doing whatever he does, so he wants media attention on it.  I say we all protest by drawing accurate representations of human physiology.

Edited by Craig Robinson on 02 September 2012 at 5:36am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 September 2012 at 5:33am | IP Logged | 12  

As I have said many, many times, this has not been a "professional" business for a long, long time. These are expensive fanzines, now, and rarely anything more.

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version