Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 38 Next >>
Topic: "Marvel Comics, The Untold Story" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2012 at 6:22am | IP Logged | 1  

How contemporaneous were New Coke and New Universe?

+++++++++

New Coke came out in early 1985 and was gone within a few months. New Universe came out sometime in 1986 and was around until 1989.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 December 2012 at 6:39am | IP Logged | 2  

I think it was Denny O'Neil who, at the time, commented that he thought the "New Universe" would prove an interesting experiment, since it was the first time a comicbook company had gone into competition with itself!
Back to Top profile | search

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 December 2012 at 6:44am | IP Logged | 3  

Not to thread drift, but New Coke was around for years. "Old" Coke was only gone for a few months. But it didn't mean New Coke went away when Coke Classic came out. 
Sorry. Back to Marvel History. 

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2012 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 4  

I often wonder where the Marvel U would be now if Jim Shooter hadn't gotten too big for his britches/full of himself/power mad. Would JB have had a longer FF run? I assume yes since JB has said that he was willing to stay on while still doing Superman (please correct me if I'm wrong about this) Would Walt Simonson have stayed a little longer on Thor? Would we have been able to avoid some of the excess of the late 80's early 90's Marvel that eventually led to the company's downfall or was that all inevitable? 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 December 2012 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 5  

Would JB have had a longer FF run? I assume yes since JB has said that he was willing to stay on while still doing Superman (please correct me if I'm wrong about this)

••

At that time, I was talking to the editor (Mike Carlin) about stepping away from the art chores on FF and "just" writing the book. I'd even gone so far as to approach JRjr about taking over the penciling.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 12 December 2012 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 6  

How amazing would that have been?  To hear stories of the best laid plans only serves as a point of frustration to fans and, I'm sure, for those behind the scenes.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 December 2012 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 7  

I'd even gone so far as to approach JRjr about taking over the penciling.

ARGHHH!!! I need to live in the alternate world where that happened.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 December 2012 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 8  

The most telling part of the whole move to Superman lies in how it distinguished the "management" skills of the two top people at Marvel at the time, Jim Shooter and Mike Hobson.

I sent a letter to both, telling them that I would be doing Superman, but hoped to continue on FF. Mike responded with a letter wishing me luck, and saying that anything that was good for DC could only be good for the industry as a whole, and therefore good for Marvel.

Shooter responded by disallowing the Jean Grey Returns FF story he had previously fully approved, ordering massive rewrites and redrawing, and even going so far as to get Claremont to do the rewrites.

Brian Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2012 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 9  

What changed in the Jean Grey Returns, if I may ask?

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2012 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 10  

Wow. What might have been...It's funny how even when creators that I liked took over the FF, I still couldn't enjoy it the way that I enjoyed JB's run.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 December 2012 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 11  

It's funny how even when creators that I liked took over the FF, I still couldn't enjoy it the way that I enjoyed JB's run.

••

It's been noted elsewhere that Marvel went thru an odd period of less-than-ideal "casting" in the late Eighties and early Nineties. People who had found ideal homes on various titles seemed to take "one step to the left" and, while producing work of their highest calibre, not quite finding the same kind of "vibes".

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2012 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 12  

Roger Stern, Jerry Ordway, John, and Sal Buscema came in after you. Normally, that's a great thing but it was an impossible job for ANY creator to come in and be able to match your run.

<< Prev Page of 38 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version