Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies
Topic: Live-Action GATCHAMAN for 2013 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2012 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 1  

The live-action movie version of SCIENCE NINJA TEAM GATCHAMAN will debut in Japan on August 24th, 2013.

[AnimeNewsNetwork Link]

Well, I hope it will be fun.

Back to Top profile | search

Rick Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2012 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 2  

Liked Tori Matsuzaka in Shinkenger, so I'm optimistic about this one - that, and considering the likes of Yamato 2199, Japan's track record for remakes and adaptations is a lot healthier than the US' one (cue long list of butchered IPs - G.I. Joe, Star Trek, nigh-on every superhero ever...).

Here's hoping that the folks involved avoid the temptation to go overly 'dark and edgy', and/or indulge in over-wrought 'armoured' versions of the suits - can't say I'm a huge fan of either the Imagi CGI version, or the SMAP trailer from a few years back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQUUcB3vbsw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2LqTNVjrCE

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2012 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 3  

As long as there is no member of SMAP in it, I'm game.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2012 at 9:28pm | IP Logged | 4  

As long as there is no member of SMAP in it, I'm game.

Unfortunately, we had one member of that band playing the lead character in the live-action SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO movie...

Rick Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2012 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 5  

...making the character nearly twice the age he's been traditionally shown as in the cartoons (Takuya Kimura being 38 at time of filming, with Kodai being 18 as originally introduced, both in the original series and the 2199 reimagined version).

Must admit, I enjoyed the live-action movie for what it was at the time, but it hasn't held up for me on repeat viewings, particularly when 2199 has done such a darn fine job of showing how to update a property in such a way that simultaneously enhances the story and honours the original - as opposed to just stripping it down to fit a single feature film.

Fingers crossed that this Gatchaman remake goes the 2199 route instead - and even if it has to abbreviate the story, that doesn't mean it has to automatically lose other elements of the original for arbitrary reasons on top...

Rick Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 6  

First look at the cast (in costume/on set - no glimpse of the iconic suits yet, though) - courtesy of this news snippet found by Henshin Justice:

http://henshinjustice.com/2012/12/19/gatchaman-live-action-p review-video-and-first-look-at-the-cast/

...again, I'm cautiously optimistic!

Sadly, my Japanese linguistic knowledge is strictly at absolute beginner/tourist level (I'm working on it!) - anyone able to glean more from the video?

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2012 at 1:18am | IP Logged | 7  

As long as they don't get the Chris Nolan fever and design the cast with rubber motorcycle/ football armor.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2013 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 8  

Well, looks like Tatsunoko Productions now officially has reclaimed all GATCHAMAN rights back from IMAGI (the company that gave us the CGI ASTROBOY movie) .

[Sci-Fi Japan Link]

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2013 at 3:10pm | IP Logged | 9  

Aw. I was hoping they'd have the 70's rebellious/skuzzy orphan hair cuts. I'd say they need a bigger Tiny. 

I dunno about this. The Casshern Movie was charmingly and darkly surreal but ultimately didn't really look or feel much like Casshern. His mother was just a corpse with a Swan over her instead of  robot swan with her personality, etc.

Edited by Emery Calame on 02 January 2013 at 3:13pm
Back to Top profile | search | email

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version