Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Bryan Hitch - "Marvel Is A Closed Shop" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 1  

Many's a time I have seen some writer who made his name riding on the coattails of a really good artist,

I'm not a fan of Mark Millar but that guy somehow gets A List talent for everything that he does so his comics sell. I can't imagine any of his concepts being big sellers without those artists.

Back to Top profile | search

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 2  

These talking head writers need to go write their novels and let the comics be comics. 

Tho, to be fair, I blame editorial for allowing these conditions to fester and the comic buyers for continuing to buy these talking head comics. 

One of the reasons I've enjoyed JB's work for IDW is that they read like comics I remember, and those are fun for me. Fun being the key word. 

The talking head comics suck the fun right out, I get lost and they all look the same after a while, and with all the crossover/event/ interlaced issues going on, I'm not sure where to even begin. I know, I'm an old guy comic book crank, but I'm okay with that. 

*7200! Yay!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 3  

One of the reasons I've enjoyed JB's work for IDW is that they read like comics I remember, and those are fun for me. Fun being the key word.

••

Thanks. No small part of that, I am sure, is due to my having gone back to "Marvel Style" scripting. Since I no longer computer-letter my own work, there's no need for me to type up a full script before I start drawing, so I draw my couple of pages each day first, and THEN write the script.

Erin Anna Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 4  

That is a damn good idea John, thank you for that.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 5  

Sometimes it feels as if the writers are coming up with stuff deliberately to make the art look dull.

-----

I remember reading an issue of a Bendis-written Avengers where there were 9-12 panels of a film-like "zoom" on a person or object. It was a complete waste of JRJR art.

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 6  

I thought Bendis' talking head approach worked with Powers. However, he is largely, seemingly, a one trick pony and the "technique" that was pretty cool in Powers and OK in Alias turns out to be his style and the only way he can write far as I can tell.

I appreciate a few panels or a page or two here or there of my favorite characters gabbing sometimes, but it should be used sparingly.

The Marvel Method makes SO much more sense and create sSUCH more dynamic comics, I wish the powers that are could or would see that.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 7  

I thought Bendis' talking head approach worked with Powers. However, he is largely, seemingly, a one trick pony and the "technique" that was pretty cool in Powers and OK in Alias turns out to be his style and the only way he can write far as I can tell.

-----

I thought his MIGHTY AVENGERS run showed that he had the potential to write a straightforward, old-school action superhero book. But he ruined it by bringing back thought bubbles and giving the characters snarky, insecure, or horny thoughts.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 12:21pm | IP Logged | 8  

A guy that works at my LCS was trying out the All New X-Men and dropped as soon as a character (the Beast I believe) referred to something as "a thing". He said that he has read so many Bendis comics and his use of that term for a character's romantic relationship ("it's a thing"), a use of their powers ("it's a thing"), or various other reasons to say "it's a thing" have turned him off to Bendis' writing.

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 9  

I feel the same way, Sean. I'm sure every writer and artist has ticks like that, but Bendis', to me, have become very pronounced and tend to take me out of the story. They tend to become "Bendis Stories" and not "X-Men", "Spider-Man", "Avengers" stories.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 10  

A guy that works at my LCS was trying out the All New X-Men and dropped as soon as a character (the Beast I believe) referred to something as "a thing". He said that he has read so many Bendis comics and his use of that term for a character's romantic relationship ("it's a thing"), a use of their powers ("it's a thing"), or various other reasons to say "it's a thing" have turned him off to Bendis' writing.

I'm out of the loop as far as certain writers and their "literary quirks."  

Is Bendis also the writer who constantly uses "--the hell?!" in character dialogue?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 11  

I appreciate a few panels or a page or two here or there of my favorite characters gabbing sometimes, but it should be used sparingly.

••

A page of talking heads can work well -- as punctuation.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2012 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 12  

Bendis´s writing style developed from his process of making his own fanzine comics out of stats.

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version