Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: And So It Ends... - 12.31.2012 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2013 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Yeah, I kinda figured that since I hadn't seen this scene requested by you in all this time, it was because you consciously didn't want it.

Going by my childhood buying habits, ALPHA FLIGHT was the only book that I was following in realtime that was done by him.* And this time around I wanted a commission that ties in to a memorable scene that I had first experienced during my impressionable days....so that kinda limited my choices!

*I started buying comics with X-Men, cuz that's what the "cool" kids were reading at the time, and it was the X-Men blurb on the cover of AF#1 that caused me to buy it - I was peeved that the X-Men were not really in it, but clearly there was something I liked that made me seek out #2. The Fantastic Four seemed too "mainstream" to me, so I didn't seek it out (with the exception of #243 and #260 - they were just too cool that I had to trade with other school kids for them).
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 January 2013 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Would the force of the explosion have blown Mac's body to pieces?

••

Don't think of it so much as a blast, as a release of energy within the suit. Kind of like the static shock you get when you scuff your feet across the carpet, and then touch the doorknob -- only multiplied a few billion times.

Mac was basically fried inside the suit -- which is why there was still just enough left of him to take that single step and say Heather's name.

Bill Conway
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2013 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Is it me, or do commissions always look better when the heroes are in civies?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 January 2013 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Is it me, or do commissions always look better…

••

Wow, two of my pet peeves in the space of only nine words!

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2013 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"Don't think of it so much as a blast, as a release of energy within the suit. Kind of like the static shock you get when you scuff your feet across the carpet, and then touch the doorknob -- only multiplied a few billion times.

Mac was basically fried inside the suit -- which is why there was still just enough left of him to take that single step and say Heather's name."

---

Gotcha. Ouch. And there you reference one of my long-running fearful ticks - static shock. To this day I'm apprehensive before touching a doorknob when I know I'm wearing static-inducing clothing. I'm just like the lead character in the opening scene in OFFICE SPACE. I still have a habit of slapping a doorknob first before opening a door in order to get rid of a charge, even though it doesn't really make sense and makes me look like a fool, to boot.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2013 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"Is it me, or do commissions always look better when the heroes are in civies?"

--

Funny thing - I tended to have the opposite opinion - not about civilians in his commissions, specifically, but another reason why I held off for so long was that the scene involves one out of two people not in costume, and it struck me as a bit of a waste to pay for a commission like that. The grey tone idea got me over that. Little did I know then that JB would be really knocking it out of the park with his rendition of her sweater!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2013 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Would the force of the explosion have blown Mac's body to pieces?

••

Don't think of it so much as a blast, as a release of energy within the suit. Kind of like the static shock you get when you scuff your feet across the carpet, and then touch the doorknob -- only multiplied a few billion times.

Mac was basically fried inside the suit -- which is why there was still just enough left of him to take that single step and say Heather's name.

+++++++++++

Hang on a second--I was under the impression that Mac WAS technically blasted apart, since it very much looks like his arms, at least, are blown off.

Heather even says as much in AF # 13--"I saw him blown apart, Gary--blasted into ash. Less than ash.".

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 January 2013 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Hang on a second--I was under the impression that Mac WAS technically blasted apart, since it very much looks like his arms, at least, are blown off.

Heather even says as much in AF # 13--"I saw him blown apart, Gary--blasted into ash. Less than ash.".

••

Unfortunately, the coloring does a lot to confuse what's happening in the scene. As noted up-thread, Andy Yanchus interpreted one shot of Mac's face as his body -- and, indeed, minus appendages. And, remember, there was no shock wave, such as would be generated by an explosion. Heather was not knocked back or over. She was standing just a few short feet away from Mac and was unaffected, physically.

Heather's "blown apart" reference should be read in this context. There is, after all, a great deal of difference between being "blown apart" and "blasted to ash".

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 January 2013 at 6:29am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

And there you reference one of my long-running fearful ticks - static shock. To this day I'm apprehensive before touching a doorknob when I know I'm wearing static-inducing clothing.

••

One of the apartments my parents and I lived in when I was a teen must have been built around a Tesla Coil. It was virtually impossible to move any distance thru its four rooms without ending up getting a shock.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2013 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It was virtually impossible to move any distance thru its four rooms without ending up getting a shock.
--------------------------------
This sounds like my current car (a Honda CRV). Everytime I get out and shut the door I get a shock. I'm like a cowering lab rat now when I reach for the door....

Looking again tat the commission, I really like the inclusion of Box and those awesome cracks in the wall behind Mac.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 January 2013 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Little did I know then that JB would be really knocking it out of the park with his rendition of her sweater!

••

Maybe we should start a subset of the "Favorite Commissions" thread -- favorite PARTS of commissions! The admiration of Heather's sweater in this thread is reminding me of how much people seemed to like the owl in the EC Hosts piece, and Jarvis at the window in the charging Avengers piece!

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2013 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

LOL! that would be quite a long topic thread! :)

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version