Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk << Prev Page of 151 Next >>
Topic: Around The NBA Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2019 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

THAT was the GS defense I know, particularly in the third quarter 18-0 run. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2019 at 9:44pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Good all round performance by the Raptors starters tonight. Amazing scoring from Steph Curry, but ended up being quite comfortable for Toronto in the end -- or at least, not too uncomfortable. Have to imagine it'll be a much harder task to repeat the result on Friday with the return of Klay Thompson.

Edited by Peter Martin on 05 June 2019 at 9:47pm
Back to Top profile | search

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2019 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I picked GS to win before the season started (not hard) but I really didn't and don't want them to win.  Durant's petulance with the media and his burner accounts where he attacks fans under fake names, Draymond's whining and flopping and dirty plays, these aren't guys I want to root for.  That said, they are very talented and the team is just awesome.  And I like Steph and Klay and Kerr.  So, mixed feelings.

Toronto plays the right way.  Kawhi keeps his head down, never complains, never does anything but play beautiful, occasionally physical basketball.  Lowry is a talented two way player who grinds and takes more charges than anyone.  Gasol's a steady, hustling big and former defensive player of the year.   What's not to like?  I didn't want to like Nurse because he replaced Casey but he seems like a good guy. 

But I don't want them to win this way.  I know Kawhi is hurting as is Iguodala (and Cousins is recovering and Looney is out), but this just isn't a legit Finals if we don't see Durant and Thompson, two of the top three GS players.  Assuming they're both back on Friday, game four should be fascinating and I wouldn't assume a cake walk.  GS won't know how either will perform and reintegrating Durant after 10 games could be initially bumpy.

Edited by Rick Senger on 06 June 2019 at 11:14am

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2019 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

And Durant is confirmed out for game four.  He still has yet to practice so it's looking more possible he may not come back this year or be significantly compromised if he does.  Just about unprecedented pressure now on the Splash Brothers (particularly Klay) to perform and avoid going down 3-1 heading back to Toronto. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2019 at 10:26pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Klay looked good offensively, but some signs defensively that the hamstring may have been hampering him. Another massive performance from Leonard. Poor Fred Van Vleet is on his second lot of stitches this post-season. At least he played excellently this time, but losing a tooth via an elbow that didn't even land in the mouth is shocking luck.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2019 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Board man gets paid.

Barring the dramatic return of Kevin Durant (and the stage is perfectly set), GS is in serious trouble.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2019 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Durant will reportedly scrimmage today for the first time since the injury a month ago.   No idea if he will go tomorrow but even if he can, it's a gamble to reinsert him for the first time in a month in a close out game on the road though obviously the temptation is almost irresistible.   Looney played game four with a very painful fractured collarbone so GS is leaving no stone unturned. 

Edited by Rick Senger on 09 June 2019 at 12:42pm

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2019 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Durant will reportedly start and has no minutes restriction.   Can he be effective after 33 days removed from live competition?  If the answer is yes, things just got very interesting.  Talk about a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to cement your legend in three games.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2019 at 11:07pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Unbelievable swings tonight.  Durant was really impressive and helped build GS's lead to 13 before his devastating achilles injury.   No word on the severity but it's almost certain he's done for 2019 and history says players over 30 struggle to come all the way back from this when its serious (he'll be 31 in a few months).   I don't love Durant but that's terrible outcome he didn't deserve. 

When Toronto came back and got up 6 with about 2 minutes left on Kawhi's heroics, it seemed to be over.  But Nick Nurse's ill-advised timeout interrupted the Raptors'  momentum and GS regrouped.  Toronto turned cold and had no answer for three straight late threes by the Splash Bros.  I wish Kawhi had taken more of the late shots but GS defended him really well. 

GS played like champions but they can't expect to shoot 20 for 42 on threes again and they still only won by one point.  With Durant done, Iguodala will continue to log way more minutes than he should and Looney reaggravated his injury so he's questionable.  I just see Toronto having more health and more guns and the deeper this series goes, the more tired GS is going to get.  Cousins has been wildly inconsistent and tonight played well on offense but miserably on defense; with the injuries GS is going to have to give him some real minutes and needs him to step up.

Edited by Rick Senger on 10 June 2019 at 11:18pm

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2019 at 11:51pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I think the Warriors are pretty much done. Maybe they can win one
more at home. They just donít have the bench to compete with the
Raptors.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2019 at 9:52pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

So close all game. Crazy pressure on Leonard at the end with those free throws. His arms and legs must have felt weak, but the throws were solid as a rock. Lowry on fire in the first quarter, Van Vleet a massive contribution from the bench, and he's been great this whole series against the Warriors. History in the making!

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2019 at 11:45pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Add Klay to the list of players with a torn ACL. Damn.

<< Prev Page of 151 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version