Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The Bucks' bandwagon is filling up fast! Get on board
if you want a seat next to me.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 6:19pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Pistons first game in Detroit since 1978. Lets hope they restore some glory in the coming seasons. 

Here's to a fun season for all!
Back to Top profile | search

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Brooklyn starting PG Jeremy Lin's season-ending knee injury seemingly sweetens Boston's gift of the Nets' unprotected first round pick next year to Cleveland as part of the Irving trade.  Brooklyn loses to the Pacers, the team many project as the worst in the league this year.

Philly has to feel good about Simmons' debut NBA performance (18 pts / 10 rebs / 5 assists / 2 blocks) as well as Embiid's return and Covington's 29 points though they lost.  

The East has a winning record vs. the West overall so far.  That ought to last another couple hours. 

The Lonzo Ball era begins tonight in LA as well as the first Melo drama between the Knicks and OKC since Carmelo got traded to the Thunder. 

Both LeBron and Kevin Durant have recently given unusually effusive praise to Giannis A. - Durant saying one day he could be easily the best to ever play the game.  I may be joining you on the bandwagon, Joe.

Edited by Rick Senger on 19 October 2017 at 3:03pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 9:50pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I understand that Lakers mgt want to develop Lonzo Ball,
but he really should not be starting over Jordan
Clarkson yet.

Kristaps Porzingis looks really good. He is averaging
over 30 points the first two games.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2017 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Clarkson so far appears to be a more productive scorer than Ball though Ball did get 29 in his second game.  However, Ball is unquestionably a superior passer and looks to be a far more prolific rebounder.  Clarkson will still get minutes as they need his reliable scoring.   I'm not yet sold on Ball's defense and he turns the ball over a bit more than I'd like but Magic has made his choice and Ball is going to start barring injury.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Oy 76ers:  Simmons is playing better than expected for a "rookie," Embiid looks back in form, Covington's scoring is at a career high and turnovers are down, Redick is hitting 3's, Okafor is nabbing 9 rebounds in 22 mpg, yet Philly is 1-4.  Why?  Because they have yet another injured #1 pick in Markelle Fultz and they've exacerbated it by playing him hurt.  Fultz is averaging 6 points on 33% shooting and has airballed some FTs but some of it may be that his shoulder is so bad he's taken a cortisone shot and admits altering his shooting motion to compensate.  He may or may not be a bust but he doesn't belong out there if he can't even shoot normally and it's surely hurting his confidence.  Saric's 5.6 points on 33% shooting also isn't helping.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2017 at 9:46pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

An oddity:  it appears the top five teams in the West will all lose tonight and four of them lost to East teams (the Clips are down big to GS at the half.)  Meanwhile, the Nuggets and Pelicans also lost to East conf. teams tonight meaning the West went a collective 1-6 against the "far inferior" right coast (Minn. barely nipped Miami.)   I can't imagine that happening again for years. 

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2017 at 11:12pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It is hard not to be impressed by the way the Celtics
are playing. They are proving the naysayers wrong after
losing Gordon Hayward by winning their last seven games.

The Thunder, on the other hand, are still stuck in
mediocrity. This is the team that will eventually rival
the Warriors? I don't see it.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2017 at 1:39pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Yeah, Boston has played only mediocre to mid-level opponents during much of their 7-game streak but recent wins over The Spurs (albeit without Kawhi and Parker) and the Thunder have been more impressive.  I'm pleased with the play of Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown who both look to mature fast and obviously Kyrie is scoring consistently.  Most encouraging is their defense, which is currently ranked #1.  Small dataset, but considering they gave up stoppers like Crowder and Avery Bradley, a good sign.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2017 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

10 games in, what catches my attention east-wise:

Indiana's Paul George trade looks surprisingly ok so far:  Victor Oladipo has had 4 25-point games early, as many as he had all of last year and Domantas Sabonis already has more double doubles this season (5) than he had all of last year. 

Andre Drummond is hitting FTs at a 75% clip including the preseason.  He has the worst lifetime percentage (38%) in NBA history, so this swing is miraculous and is surely contributing to Detroit's 7-3 start.

It's early, but Cleveland's sloppy 4-6 start suggests all those years where they've coasted reg. season then flipped a switch in the playoffs (particularly last year) are getting ingrained. Despite their roster of aging stars this may come back to bite them.  Thomas can't get healthy soon enough.

The Knicks weren't expected to go anywhere but are quietly 5-4 with Ntilikina struggling and no real starter-caliber PGs.  OTOH, Porzingis averaging 30 and 8 while Kanter is shooting 61% with 11 rebs (3rd in OR) and they beat Cleveland and Denver and barely lost to Detroit.

Edited by Rick Senger on 06 November 2017 at 12:55pm

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2017 at 9:26am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Knicks are now 6-4 and the Thunder are 4-6. Phil
Jackson made some mistakes on the job, but he was right
about Melo.

OKC had a terrible game against SAC. There was way too
much isolation basketball.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2017 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

It's early but OKC mgmt is probably getting anxious.  The Big 3 are all averaging 20.1 PPG but as you say, too much iso and they aren't shooting that well (Melo at a career low).  Westbrook is down 11.5 PPG, George is averaging the fewest rebounds and assists since his rookie year and the team isn't winning at a point where the time is NOW since Melo isn't getting any younger and the whole thing implodes if they don't get results this year.  I like Billy Donovan and there's still time so I hope they figure things out.

The Knicks started last year similarly (14-10 at their peak) but given the weaker east this year, hopefully NY sticks around this time.  I hope so... it's a funner conference when the Knicks are in the mix.

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2017 at 1:32am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Looks like the Warriors are back to their old self
(selves?) again. Even without Kevin Durant, they were
able to outscore the Timberwolves by 24 points.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2017 at 2:25am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Someone in this house (not me; I couldn't care less) who pays a lot more attention to the NBA than I do isn't a fan of the trade the Suns and Bucks are making with Bledsoe and Monroe. 

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2017 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

"Andre Drummond is hitting FTs at a 75% clip including the preseason.  He has the worst lifetime percentage (38%) in NBA history, so this swing is miraculous and is surely contributing to Detroit's 7-3 start."

I'd be more than happy if he ended up at 60%. Hope he doesn't abandon the process he's using now (0-7 last night) , It's the best he's tried thus far.

Tobias Harris, Avery Bradley and the deep bench have shined .

Celtics on a roll. 10 in a row!

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2017 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Dwight Howard should give Drummndís trainer a call.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2017 at 4:32pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

(Not) a fan of the trade the Suns and Bucks are making with Bledsoe and Monroe.
I think the Bucks won the trade (Bledsoe is a borderline all star PG) but honestly, the Suns were in a crap position and at least wound up with something in rebounding big Monroe plus a lower first round pick in next year's promising draft.  Worst case, Monroe's contract expires in June and the Suns have a decent cap space bump this summer.   The Suns are in rebuild mode so draft picks are good and cap space never hurts.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 November 2017 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Celts were lucky they were playing the Lakers... Al Horford was out in concussion protocol (he missed 9 games that way last year), obviously Hayward is out and Jayson Tatum injured his ankle and didn't play the second half.  Horford is still out tomorrow and Tatum's status is up in the air so Boston remains pretty thin.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2017 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Trying not to let expectations run wild 13 games in, but Boston's 18-point comeback win last night without Irving, Horford and Hayward was insane.  Everyone (including me) liked BOS' starting lineup but thought their bench was questionable yet when they overcame the big deficit in the fourth they played 4 guys who weren't even in the league last year!   The Celtics' defense looks really good thus far but the schedule gets real from here.  Big test in Toronto tomorrow; Kyrie is likely out and the Raptors' guard tandem of Lowry and DeRozan will take advantage.  Next week:  GS.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 55
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version