Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB: Hopping in the time machine... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2013 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 1  

JB, any temptation to use the time michine to accept Shooter's offer of script approval on X-Men, instead of leaving the title?

(accidental edit instead of reply! restored -- JB)

Edited by JohnByrne2 on 17 January 2013 at 5:58am

Back to Top profile | search

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 13 January 2013 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 2  

JB:  "You'd lose a few stories, but I genuinely believe you would gain a generally healthier comicbook industry."

How true!  I feel so lucky to have read your X-Men run at the time as we got to see the evolution of Wolverine.  But the character was not handled well after you left - they lost the feel of the Wolverine that you established and he became some of the worst of the industry's excesses.

The Wolverine in those last issues after the death of Phoenix is what I think of when I think of him - the Wendigo story and "Days of Future Past" is who I remember.  A shame what came after.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 January 2013 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 3  

The Wolverine in those last issues after the death of Phoenix is what I think of when I think of him - the Wendigo story and "Days of Future Past" is who I remember. A shame what came after.

••

It's symptomatic of much that has gone wrong with the Industry that, when asked who a "favorite character" might be, one finds oneself having to specify a particular ERA of that character's history. Like, if people ask me that question, and I say "Depending on what day of the week it is, it's between Batman and Captain America..." but, unless I am talking to civilians, I then have to qualify the statement as to WHICH Batman, and WHICH Cap.

When I started reading Batman comics, to say "Batman" mean the same guy he had been, at that point, for almost twenty years, and would continue to be for a good decade longer. So different from when I was actually WORKING at DC, and if I wanted to use Batman in one of my stories, had to check to find out "who" Batman was at that particular moment.

(This was especially frustrating when their crept into editorial "thought" the notion that all the stories that came out in a particular month happened at the same time. In an issue of WONDER WOMAN I had the Flash appear. At that point, the Flash was wearing lenses over his eyes, so that was how I drew him, and was actually able to take advantage of the look for a good "surprised" effect. But the editor of FLASH saw the page, and demanded that the eye be added, since by the time the book came out Flash would no longer be wearing the lenses. I argued that my story did not have to be taking place at the exact same moment as the FLASH issue that would appear at the same time, and, happily, I won the argument. But I felt it utterly ridiculous that the argument even occurred!!!)

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2013 at 6:40pm | IP Logged | 4  

JB:   When Dick Giordano asked me to "audition" for the job of
rebooting Superman, I'd say "Thanks, but I'll pass."
---
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Charles Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2013 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 5  

JB, Seeing as how Wolverine, after you left, turned into what he became, do you really believe that even if he had been written out of the X-men, that some other character ( or characters) wouldn't have taken their place in filling that role in the industry? It seems that there was a demand for such a character, and Wolverine turned into it. Someone else probably would have, I think. Your thoughts?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 January 2013 at 4:28am | IP Logged | 6  

Remember, Wolverine was not an instant sensation. When the character was introduced in THE INCREDIBLE HULK, it caused barely a ripple, and his addition to the "All New, All Different" X-Men generated a lot of "bring back the Beast!" mail.

Dave's focus was mostly on Nightcrawler, Chris' on Storm and then Phoenix. Wolverine was a very slow burning fuse, and it wasn't until that scene with the guard in the Savage Land that things really started to heat up.

If he'd been removed from the X-Men around the time I arrived, effectively disappearing from Marvel's roster, I don't think it would have created a "hole" that fandom would have been crying out to see filled.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2013 at 5:02am | IP Logged | 7  

Since we're on the subject of X-Men: JB, if you'd stayed on the title, would you have eventually brought Banshee back as an active member of the team? 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 January 2013 at 5:32am | IP Logged | 8  

Since we're on the subject of X-Men: JB, if you'd stayed on the title, would you have eventually brought Banshee back as an active member of the team?

••

There were no plans. We thought at the time it would be fun and novel to have a superhero go into peaceful retirement.

Stevie Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2013 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 9  

I seem to recall that when the issue of WONDER WOMAN came out where the JLA was visiting her in the hospital, you made a remark on the old AOL boards (!!) that the BATMAN editorial offices had made some sort of odd demand on the scene with him, but that you had thought of a clever way around it. You don't happen to remember after all this time what that was...?

(I love that scene, by the way, where the room is lit by lightning and Batman isn't there, then it goes dark, and the room is again lit by lightning and Batman is standing there. If anyone has a scan, please post. It's great storytelling)
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 January 2013 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 10  

I seem to recall that when the issue of WONDER WOMAN came out where the JLA was visiting her in the hospital, you made a remark on the old AOL boards (!!) that the BATMAN editorial offices had made some sort of odd demand on the scene with him, but that you had thought of a clever way around it. You don't happen to remember after all this time what that was...?

••

I don't recall anything from the BATMAN office. I know at the time the JLA writer (Morrison?) had said Batman and Wonder Woman didn't like each other, but I got no such notice from the BAT Office, so my scene went ahead as I planned.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2013 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 11  

some other character ( or characters) wouldn't have taken their place in
filling that role in the industry? It seems that there was a demand for such a
character, and Wolverine turned into it. Someone else probably would have,
I think. Your thoughts?
+++++

I think some other "rebel" character, like the LOSH's WILDFIRE or TIMBER
WOLF might've filled this gap.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2013 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 12  

• When Chris Claremont told me he and Dave Cockrum were planning to write Wolverine out of X-MEN, I'd say "Fine by me."

Which is all well and good until Steve Englehart snaps him up and puts him in The Avengers, at which point Jim Shooter says, "Say, if this guy can be an Avenger, we may as well put Spider-Man in there, too!"  And then...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version