Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: JB’s THE HIGH WAYS #1 - Coolest preview ever! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Next!

Posted: 18 January 2013 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 1  

Of course, reading the story in the intended format would completely eliminate all such "problems".
Back to Top profile | search

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2013 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 2  

Genuine question JB, do you get the same amount of money if I (or anyone) buys your comic digitally compared to in print?

John Byrne
Next!

Posted: 18 January 2013 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 3  

Genuine question JB, do you get the same amount of money if I (or anyone) buys your comic digitally compared to in print?

As I've mentioned before, I have waived my page rate and first publication royalties on all my books at IDW, to make it easier on their corporate wallets. I get only the royalties from the trade paperbacks and other reprints.

Anthony Vitrano
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2013 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 4  

I really enjoyed this!   I love the not-so-impossibly-far-off-future feel.

Nice tone that's been established.  I cannot wait to see where 
this story takes us.

Congrats JB!   

John Byrne
Next!

Posted: 18 January 2013 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 5  

I love the not-so-impossibly-far-off-future feel.

There's a danger, when doing stories set in "the Future" that one will catch up to them! The Next Men's adventures were set "in the future", tho I did not specify just how far, in the hopes of avoiding this pitfall. Still caught up to, and passed them!

Less of a chance of that with HIGH WAYS, methinks! I don't expect to live to see the year in which it's set.

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2013 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 6  

"Less of a chance of that with HIGH WAYS, methinks! I don't expect to live to see the year in which it's set."

Oh sure, JB....take the easy way out! LOL 

Simon Bowland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2013 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 7  

I think the time will come, sooner rather than later, when publishers will outlaw double page spreads in comics so that the product remains digital-friendly.

JB, I wasn't aware of that re: your page rates. That's a hugely impressive commitment.
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

John Byrne
Next!

Posted: 18 January 2013 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 8  

I think the time will come, sooner rather than later, when publishers will outlaw double page spreads in comics so that the product remains digital-friendly.

The trade paperback collections have made double-page spreads something of a problem, too. Over the years I have developed the habit of doing multi-panel spreads for pages 2 and 3, which works find for the first issue, when collected, but the deeper into the volume, the more artwork that disappears into the fold!

Simon Bowland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2013 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 9  

I know what you mean. I keep finding myself working with artists who draw EVERYTHING in full bleed - every single panel on every single page. That looks weird enough in a standard comic, but in a trade... sheesh.

John Byrne
Next!

Posted: 18 January 2013 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 10  

One of the things I like about working thru IDW is that I know a left hand page will be a left hand page, a right hand a right hand. Which means I can plan my bleeds so that I don't accidentally create the illusion of a double page spread.

Except when I forget!!

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2013 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 11  

Got my copy yesterday and read it immediately.  Loved it! But I already knew I would. 

I know there isn't much more I can add in the way of praise for this (as well as any of the other books you produce now and have produced in the past), but I will say this:

There is a certain degree of comfort (for lack of a better word) that accompanies buying something with your name on it.  Like a visit from a favorite friend or relative; you know it's going to be a pleasant - and sometimes mind-blowing! - experience.  The fact that it's a John Byrne project alone transcends whatever genre you're tapping into at each juncture.   

The love and respect you have for the medium is apparent in every bit of dialogue and artwork and I just want to say thank you.  Small comforts like the ones I'm offered following your work really do make my small world a better place!

Sean Watson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2013 at 4:38pm | IP Logged | 12  

JB you have out done yourself with this title. This is the best but together comic book I have picked up in a long time. From the story to the art and color. You and IDW are perfect together. I have liked everything you have done at IDW, but this just blew me away. I hope this series does well because I'm hooked. Leonard O'Grady's coloring is breath taking! I would like to see him color all your stuff at IDW.

The detail in this issue is unbelievable your hand most have gotten sore from drawing this. To me this is the perfect package of what a comic book should be. Heres to more of the High Ways!

John Byrne
Next!

Posted: 18 January 2013 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 13  

It's interesting to me that some of you have commented on the amount of detail in this issue. Working on it, I really didn't have a sense that this was a particularly detailed job.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2013 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 14  

Just read it on the iPad. My hard copy will take a couple of months to get
here.

Have spacesuit, will travel!!!

Excellent stuff!!!
Back to Top profile | search | email

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2013 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 15  

Just bought the comic.  Haven't read it or a single post in this thread.  Just wanted to chime in by saying I love the cover!  It would make a great movie poster! 

Matthew Hansel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2013 at 9:26pm | IP Logged | 16  

As I've mentioned before, I have waived my page rate and first publication royalties on all my books at IDW, to make it easier on their corporate wallets. I get only the royalties from the trade paperbacks and other reprints.
I didn't know you had waived your page rate!

So, what's all the nonsense about you "hacking books" out just for the money????

I stand in awe of you, JB.  A class act.

MPH

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2013 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 17  

Re: #1

Exhilarating! 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2013 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 18  

"Max reminds me of Ted Danson."

That was my reaction too. 

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2013 at 9:02am | IP Logged | 19  

I was drawn into the story quite easily, and connected to the charcters straightaway. Good writing.

Chief, your facial expressions for all the characters in this book are amazing.

Page 10, panels 3 & 6 has John Byrne's most realistic/accurate portrait EVER. It looks as if JB traced Eddie's face from a photograph of a real person with a true expression rather than from his imagination.
These panels popped out to me, they're so 'real'.

Another example is Jonesy's eyebrow on page 11 panel 3.
Someone casually using a keypad would hold an expression like that. Great cartooning!

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2013 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 20  

Cagney must be fun to draw!

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 19 January 2013 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 21  

I read it again last night - the first time I was caught up in the characters and their interchange.  I just love the tone created by how these characters interact.

Reading a second time, I was blown away by the art.  I love when you draw a sci-fi world, JB - you get the look just right.

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 19 January 2013 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 22  

Revisiting two of the "sneek peeks" we saw here on the forum when the series was announced

The Carol Ann:

Europa:

Amazing!!

John Byrne
Next!

Posted: 19 January 2013 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 23  

It's been fun for me to see those two models being put to use, at last!

As I mentioned when making my little announcements, both began with different purposes, the ship as a TRUCK, with wheels (which is no doubt why I thought to "recycle" the model when the idea of "space truckers" popped into my head), and the Europa base as a mid-ocean station.

Another ship turns up next issue, and it was also "refitted" from an earlier model. The "wheel in space" station, as I noted previously, was built specifically for this series.

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2013 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 24  

---

Not to belabor, but does this mean you will get the royalties from digital sales of the trade paperbacks when they come out?

John Byrne
Next!

Posted: 19 January 2013 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 25  

Not to belabor, but does this mean you will get the royalties from digital sales of the trade paperbacks when they come out?

I suppose so. Haven't given it any thought. IDW have been very good about making sure they pay me what they owe me (as distinct from a certain other "small" company I could mention), so I trust them.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version