Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: More Than 30 Years in the Making! - 01.19.2013 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

As Magneto would no doubt have set his eyes on world conquest, one nation at a time, a team of international mutants forming to oppose him is not difficult to imagine. We could even go the extra mile and give them a squadron of Grumann Skyrockets in which to face off against the enemy... Hawk-AAAAAAA!!!!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

NuMarvel to launch new series:

WHAAT UUUP...?

:-)
Back to Top profile | search

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 8:36pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Brian Hague wrote:
As Magneto would no doubt have set his eyes on world conquest, one nation at a time, a team of international mutants forming to oppose him is not difficult to imagine. We could even go the extra mile and give them a squadron of Grumann Skyrockets in which to face off against the enemy... Hawk-AAAAAAA!!!!

That made me laugh. 

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 10:05pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Seeing as how Chris Claremont kept turning Magneto into Dr. Doom, maybe the international All-New mutant team to fight the M-Men could be put together by Doom himself fighting Magneto.

Bonus idea:  In order to keep Dr. Doom's leadership a secret from the wider public around the world, the team is given a name to signify their unknown origin: The X-Men.

Edited by Eric Kleefeld on 20 January 2013 at 10:08pm

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 10:14pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The Doom Patrol?

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2013 at 11:01pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I would so like to read that issue of What If...? Nicely done, JB!

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 5:06am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The Doom Patrol?
+++
Genius! LOL

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 6:21am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

My issue with all too many alternate reality stories was likely to be repeated with this one. Everything eventually hinges upon Galactus' arrival on Earth. Far too many stories used this as the moment when we either make it or don't... all too often the latter. I can see where it's tempting, but for awhile it seemed What If was Galactus' only ongoing monthly title. As I recall, JB himself made it the be-all, end-all of the MTIO world wherein the Thing cured himself early in the FF's career.

••

The First Coming of Galactus occurred in the issues immediately before the FF's 50th, less than five years into the book's history, and that of the "Marvel Universe". A pretty HUGE event for so "young" a "universe". For any stories set in that period, Galactus is a whole lot like the light at the end of the tunnel -- that turns out to be an onrushing train. Stories that take place over a limited span of time can, of course, avoid "The Galactus Problem", but the moment the tale stretches into years, as with this WHAT IF? scenario, Galactus becomes a "fix point" that has to be addressed.

To put it in a "real world" context, imagine telling the story of an American artist who moves to Paris in 1938. If the story covered a few days, or weeks, or even months, all would be fine. Go much beyond that, and World War II becomes impossible to ignore.

Context is also important here. My story, had it appeared in print, would have come out in the early days of WHAT IF, before Galactus became a "regular". And, of course, when I used Galactus in MARVEL TWO-IN- ONE I hadn't done the WHAT IF? story.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Wow!  Fantastic!  Usually, the commissions that provide too much detail are not as good as when JB gets to have more interpretation on the piece.  But since this referenced material JB had developed before, it worked to an advantage.

WHAT IF was a hit or miss title - this would have "hit"!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Fantastic.

My favorite detail is the belt design, with the "M"s that look just like the "X"s we know and love, except with the lower halves chopped off.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Wow! Fantastic! Usually, the commissions that provide too much detail are not as good as when JB gets to have more interpretation on the piece. But since this referenced material JB had developed before, it worked to an advantage.

••

Yes, this piece came with about the maximum level of "writing" I prefer from the customer. Makes it easier -- and, if you will forgive the towering immodesty, generally guarantees a better end result -- if the person ordering the commission doesn't try to choreograph it. Tell me who's to be included, from what vintage, and if it's a fight scene, tell me who's punching who, but spare me instructions of the "Captain America swings in on a long rope that's hanging from the SHIELD Helicarrier, with a swarm of HYDRA agents coming down the rope after him..." kinds of detail!!

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2013 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Quick, somebody with deep pockets commission the rest of this book.

•••

Bob, you almost had soda coming out of my nose.
But I agree with your suggestion.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version