Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 448 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 16 April 2014 at 6:02am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

well once again im sorely out of the loop, just finding out NOW that there's a Star Trek photonovel (Annual 1) published LAST YEAR! and now its sold out...

Fear not! There will be a reprint to coincide with the first issue of the ongoing. Plus the trade paperback collecting the Annual and the first two issues, later this year.

++++

Mr Byrne, how do you have the time for all these projects? do you work all day and night?? computer modeling and photoshopping takes hours doesnt it? on top of commissions, and whatever comics you're putting out at any given time..? i dont know how you do it.

It's not as much as it seems -- the TREK jobs are the only comicbook projects I am working on, currently. And I do work seven days a week, unless I have something else to do.

Mostly, tho, the key word in my whole career has been discipline!

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 16 April 2014 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Another peek at some sartorial surgery. I needed a three-shot of Kirk, Spock and McCoy, but the one that suited my purposes in terms of dialog flow had the good Doctor in his standard tunic. However, on the same page was a shot of the medical garb he wears in the rest of the scene, and a bit of Ps magic produced this:

A little twist, a little tweak (I moved his arm), and even I find it hard to spot those being the same shots of the shirt!

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 16 April 2014 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Looking good!  I always liked that McCoy had the unique medical shirt.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 16 April 2014 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Meanwhile, decided the cover I did for the Trade was too busy, so cobbled together a new one. I will let IDW announce that when they're ready.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2014 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

JB: A little twist, a little tweak (I moved his arm), and even I find it hard to spot those being the same shots of the shirt!

Looks terrific! Without being told, it would flow seamlessly and add to the sense of continuity of time/space. Can't wait to "hear" the new story-- just as the dialogue in the Annual instantly took to my ears and was as much "heard" as read!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2014 at 7:01pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

JB, these characters (and actor's likenesses) couldn't be in more gentle, respectful hands. Just the right tonic after the NuTrek debacles.

Really love how this is shaping up!

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2014 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Visiting this thread reminds me of just how versatile you are, JB. I am hard-
pressed to think of other active creators who do as many different things (3-
D modeling, inking, lettering, penciling, photo editing, plotting and
scripting) on as many varied comic book projects as you.
Back to Top profile | search | www

paul naring
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2014 at 9:45pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

absolutely brilliant - love the way you incorporated Rand JB - it was such a sad yet noble part of Kirk that he could never show any sign of emotion to wards her due to his commitment/obsession with the Enterprise.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2014 at 10:27pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Y'know, all this talk about background and bit players got me thinking once more about a point my buddy, Scott Gardner (of the TWO TRUE FREAKS PodCast Network), often likes to make:

The general perception of TREK is that the "Magnificent Seven" (Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scott, Sulu, Uhura, Chekov) are the core TREK cast, and all of them "must" appear in a TREK story.

This is, of course, why the NuTREK films feature all of those characters, despite the films taking place during a time-period when they shouldn't all be together.

A quick bit of research reveals:

"Catspaw"
"Who Mourns For Adonais?"
"Amok Time"
"Mirror, Mirror"
"The Deadly Years"
"I, Mudd"
"The Ultimate Computer"
"Assignment: Earth"
"Elaan of Troyius"
"The Enterprise Incident"
"And The Children Shall Lead"
"Spock's Brain"
"Is There In Truth No Beauty?"
"The Tholian Web"
"For The World Is Hollow, And I Have Touched The Sky"
"Day of The Dove"
"Let That Be Your Last Battlefield"
"The Mark of Gideon"
"The Savage Curtain"

These are the only episodes to feature all seven characters together. So, less than 1/4 of the entire series featured the "full" ensemble cast.

And, in terms of overall prominence, Rand would likely have been up there, had she not been dropped so early on.

By the time of the movies, that group of seven had become the primary focus for TREK stories, with Rand and Chapel relegated to brief cameos.

I really do like the feel of the early episodes, with characters coming and going, depending on a story's needs. Not every department head was needed for every single adventure. All of that gave the series a sense of believability, which is what Roddenberry was striving for, when was he personally producing the first half of the first season.

I kinda think that one of the few negatives of Gene Coon's stewardship of the show was that it tended to skew more toward a more specific ensemble feel (or, occasionally, the "Kirk-Spock-McCoy Show" vibe that reached its full bloom in the third season), as well as an emphasis on ensemble-comedy.

What do y'all think? Do you prefer the "Seven Dwarves", or more of a rotating assortment of crewmen?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2014 at 4:21am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Dere are more than 400 guys up dere. I wanna see them!

Back during the Remastered syndication run, I rewatched "Space Seed" for the first time in a long time. I knew the comments on the internet would be, "Where's Checkov?" but if you look, the question is, "Where's Sulu?" Seeing a second or third watch bridge crew adds to the realistic feeling of the show.

By the way, what's the tally for the "Big Six" in the first season?

I do have to give the third season credit that the additional crew, when added, are not all redshirts. The memorial service in "Tholian Web", fighters in "Day of the Dove", even a conversation about bigotry in "Last Battlefield".

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2014 at 4:27am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The rotating assortment of crewmen is how I like it. Helps to support the idea of there being four hundred crew members aboard the ship. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 April 2014 at 5:30am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Hot off the presses!

Chris Ryall sent long this picture of himself with the Annual reprint (note the new cover dress) and the first issue.

Huzzah!!

<< Prev Page of 448 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version