Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 448 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 June 2014 at 3:43am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

After the first two books, I'm now fully prepared for the level of photo manipulation I'm buying. So I look forward to the script and story.

Knowing that the trades will get additional photo editing -- will make me buy the trade.

(maybe that's all part of the plan....?)   LOL

••

Oh, THERE'S a good meme to get started!

sigh. . . .

Back to Top profile | search

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 13 June 2014 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Every new innovation will have its critics.  Factor in that the internet is full of budding graphic designers who think they could do something better, and I am sure there will be a few that miss the big picture with this project - they are criticizing minor flaws and not seeing how important it is to have a skilled, experience storyteller at the helm of a project like this.  By focusing on the bumps inherent with a groundbreaking project, they can't see DeForest for the trees.  I personally can't see what they are talking about - I have read this twice now, and what strikes me is the plot is really well paced and the characters act and speak like they did on the show.  Most of all, it's a kick ass story.

Hold this project next to the Bantam photonovels of yesteryear, and I am grateful that JB knows how to tell a story with varying sized and arranged panels.  JB brings a career of visual storytelling to the project, and it shows.

I think there are people who come to all of your work with knives drawn before they even read a page.  I'd rather not focus on flaws at the seams and instead spread the word that this is simply a fun project that people new to Star Trek or comic books can enjoy.  I don't put a lot of credence in the kind of criticism you're getting, and it doesn't represent the general reading audience who would get a kick out of this. 

I read the first book on a computer screen, and while it reads better as a printed book, the storytelling is not lost.  It's like the colors in a trade paperback - the colors were intended for newsprint so it's inherently too bright, but the art and story eclipse differences in presentation.

Geoffrey Langford
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2014 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

JB -- I know it might make one of these books "confusing" -- but would you ever consider drawing a chapter of a story that just doesn't have any screen shots to use to tell?

I mean -- if in your brain you had this incredible tale to tell, but it needed some back story of Robert April, or something, would you consider adding in something like that by just drawing the chapter needing Rob April?

I know it sort of defeats the purpose of what your doing -- but I was watching an old Patrick Troughton Doctor Who and the story is missing two of the 6 chapters on video, but they had the audio, so the BBC animated those two episodes for the DVD release (using the original sound track).   It was actually very cool.   It might be a neat tool, if used sparingly, to enhance the story telling ability of what you're doing.

Draw the chapter that relates to young Kirk on his farm in Iowa -- but use photo stock to tell the rest of the story that takes place on the Enterprise.

Draw the scenes that tell of the hallucinatory dream Kirk is having -- use photos for everything else.

You're already creating 3D sets -- but that's a bit different than what I'm suggesting.

Thoughts?

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 13 June 2014 at 8:15pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

One of my favorite sequences is below - I really dig the use of panels in at the top of page 11, showing the transition between Enterprise and Mirror Enterprise.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2014 at 9:41pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Yeah, man!

It's way too easy to quibble over the limits of the source material. The
important part of the whole thing is that the sequential storytelling itself
is GREAT. As I've mentioned before, the whole thing is more than a bit
trippy, since the panel structure and pacing is pure Byrne...but it's all
stills from TOS. You can just tell that the same mind behind all these
years of great comic book art is also behind the careful and clever
structuring of these images.

And, most important of all, it feels like STAR TREK. For me, that fact
alone supercedes any and all technical flaws.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

paul naring
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2014 at 4:56am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Well said Greg!

Mischa Welsh
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2014 at 6:02am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Over the years I have been online, people have disagree with me on many, many points. But CONGRATULATIONS. You are the FIRST to dispute MY INTENT.
_________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

That's a dubious claim to fame, but I'll take it! Whatever your intent, these books look great on a screen. That's all...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 June 2014 at 4:15am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

One of my favorite sequences is below…

••

Gotta admit, it was a hoot and a half recreating that "…I shall consider it!" moment. So much story potential in that line. A pity that so many who revisited this storyline chose to diminish, rather than build.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 June 2014 at 5:00am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Found a website that gave a positive review -- and was immediately chastised for so doing by a poster who claimed that a JBF member had pointed out Photoshop goofs and been banned for doing so.

This was somewhat amusing. The poster clearly referring to himself in the third person, on this other site was a chuckle. But especially so was the fact that I had long had this clown on IGNORE and had not even SEEN his critical posts. So one of the Mods must have nuked him, and for other reasons -- of which there were plenty!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2014 at 6:04am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I am always surprised that the censors of the time let Uhura's belly button show. Remembering Barbara Eden's "no belly button rule "  from I Dream of  Jeannie.

Edited by Doug Centers on 15 June 2014 at 6:05am

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 June 2014 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I am always surprised that the censors of the time let Uhura's belly button show. Remembering Barbara Eden's "no belly button rule "  from I Dream of  Jeannie.

••

That rule was gone by the time TOS came along -- altho it was still forbidden to show the underside of a breast. (Someone, perhaps Stephen Whitfield, commented that the censors maybe thought moss grows there.)

Unless it was a non-White breast. Producers didn't take much advantage of it until the likes of ROOTS came along, but Broadcast Standards allowed for bare breasts on non-White women. I wonder if Roddenberry ever suggested Uhura might lose her uniform in a scene?

Geoffrey Langford
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2014 at 4:13am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

-- obviously covering for National Geographic type shows where bare boobage was regularly on display.

<< Prev Page of 448 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version