Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 448 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2014 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Finally received my copy of 'The Mirror, Cracked'(via mail order) today.  Absolutely brilliant from start to finish. Thrilled to see the mirror Commodore Mendez appear.  Everyone seemed so in character and (as others have mentioned) I could almost hear the dialogue.

Lastly the end sequence on board the HMS Enterprise was a hoot.

'Time's Echo' promises to be some good reading based on this issue.  

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 19 June 2014 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Received a copy of the PDF for the second issue today, after wrapping up the lead story on the fourth yesterday. Fifth issue is alredy started. Ideas in mind for six and -- dare I say it? -- beyond.

Still get this weird feeling, sitting at the computer, that I should quit muckin' about, and get back to the drawing board. When my JOB feels like I'm goofing off, I gotta think I'm doing something right!

Mischa Welsh
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2014 at 4:12am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Still get this weird feeling, sitting at the computer, that I should quit muckin' about, and get back to the drawing board. When my JOB feels like I'm goofing off, I gotta think I'm doing something right!

------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------

That's brilliant!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 20 June 2014 at 6:08am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

'Time's Echo' promises to be some good reading based on this issue.

••

I hope you won't be disappointed. I felt, looking back, that I got a little too ambitious on the first outing ("Strange New Worlds"), and in some respects I got even MORE ambitious with the third. A lot of modeling, even of characters!

"Time's Echo" is also my first tentative steps into new territory. I did not PLAN for NEW VISIONS to be All Sequels, All the Time, but the truth is it's really more comfortable to go where someone HAS gone before!

paul naring
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2014 at 6:34am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I hope you won't be disappointed. I felt, looking back, that I got a little too ambitious on the first outing ("Strange New Worlds")

Sorry JB have to disagree with you. 'Strange New Worlds' was SPOT ON FANTASTIC in every way. The technicalities of the visual works is for you to comment on but the issue as a whole was brilliant. Please re-read our reviews and comments. No need to rush to the drawing board yet.

Sounds like you're over criticising yourself. You're headed in the right direction my boy. This is  new territory you're treading, so go BOLDLY.

Darren Ashmore
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2014 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Just the title gets my mind whirling. 'Time's Echo', so evocative. 

Like Paul says above, don't be so hard on yourself Boss, this is a method of doing comics that has never been done before and as with any innovativor there are always going to be those happy to take pot shots at you.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 20 June 2014 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

…with any innovativor there are always going to be those happy to take pot shots at you.

••

Them I don't worry about. Mostly they have no clue what's actually happening in the pictures, as with those who see "seams" in images I have lifted whole.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 20 June 2014 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Just the title gets my mind whirling. 'Time's Echo', so evocative.

••

Thanks. One of the things with which I am particularly concerning myself on this project is getting story titles to sound right for TOS. There was a particular "rhythm" to those titles. At least for the first two seasons. The third fell into a fondness for length and pretentiousness. "For the World is Hollow, and I Have Touched the Sky" is surely the nadir!

Not all the S1 and S2 titles "felt" right, of course. "Operation: Annihilate!" did not sound like a TOS title to me, even at the time. (I think it was Cleveland Amory who cautioned, long ago, that aside from the occasional question mark, titles with punctuation in them are usually dubious. Exclamation points especially tend to announce something is missing in the story!)

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 21 June 2014 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Today, the 21st, is the first anniversary of my sending sample pages of "Strange New Worlds" to Chris Ryall.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2014 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

JB: Today, the 21st, is the first anniversary of my sending sample pages of "Strange New Worlds" to Chris Ryall.

THAT was a good idea!

Happy anniversary.

Luke Styer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2014 at 8:59pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
"Time's Echo" is also my first tentative steps into new territory. I did not PLAN for NEW VISIONS to be All Sequels, All the Time, but the truth is it's really more comfortable to go where someone HAS gone before!

I hope you find you enjoy doing non-sequel stories.  While I've loved both issues to date, the fact that it was two sequels in a row was perhaps my only misgiving.  The seemingly constant revisiting of  established continuity is a pet peeve of mine with licensed Trek material in general.  Frequent sequels probably won't drive me away, but I'd definitely prefer original stories.

Edited by Luke Styer on 22 June 2014 at 8:59pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 June 2014 at 6:45am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

So far, with seven stories complete, and an eighth started, I had two direct sequels, one "follow up" that is not strictly a sequel, two returning characters (same story), again not a sequel.

Two of the stories presently in the planning stages contain elements from previous episodes, but are, again, not direct sequels.*

* Inevitably, there will be those who stretch the definition of "sequel" in order to complain about me doing too many. If I have tribbles show up, for instance, there will be those who insist my story is a "sequel," even if it contains no elements of the original story. C'est la vie!

<< Prev Page of 448 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version