Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 448 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2014 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

This will be a delicate situation , I love reading New Visions and being transported back to that time and, like many have said , having a feel of a lost episode . That being said I have full confidence in your creative genius to blend the past and the present to make it work seamleslly.
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2014 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

What Doug said!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 06 September 2014 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

This will be a delicate situation , I love reading New Visions and being transported back to that time and, like many have said , having a feel of a lost episode . That being said I have full confidence in your creative genius to blend the past and the present to make it work seamleslly.

Well, I'm already "spending more" on sets and location shooting than TOS ever did!

Speaking of which, in the current issue I have a sequence where a landing party is exploring a deserted "futuristic" city. I created this "location" by patching together appropriate shots of Mid-Century Modern architecture. Then I set about looking for interiors that would match what I'd built.

After several hours work, tho, I suddenly thought "Why am I doing this?" On TOS they had no qualms about cutting from an LA exterior to a Matt Jeffries hallway. So I scrapped all my hard work and went back to some of the models I'd already used. Recycling, again much like TOS.

A small Before&After comparison from one of the pages:

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2014 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

"After several hours work, tho, I suddenly thought "Why am I doing this?" On TOS they had no qualms about cutting from an LA exterior to a Matt Jeffries hallway. So I scrapped all my hard work and went back to some of the models I'd already used. Recycling, again much like TOS. "

I think that's a smart move,why reinvent the wheel? Use the sources already available to you, makes life a lot easier. Chalk this one up to experience.

After just seeing 1 page I can't wait to read it!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2014 at 9:43pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Goldshirt Uhura!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

paul naring
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2014 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

second version looks better because it looks like TOS. Another puzzle solved by you JB that just gives this project even greater authentication.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 07 September 2014 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It's kind of strange to find I am developing a "library" of TOS set parts. Remember when I was first contemplating this project, and wondering if I should restrict myself entirely to screen captures, with no manipulation? What a dead end THAT would have been!!!

(The one TOS trope I do seem to be avoiding, deliberately, is humans as aliens. I've played with a couple so far, mostly tossing in skin color variations, but I somehow can't see myself doing a whole alien race that looks like us! Spent too many years DRAWING aliens that I tried to make as far from human as possible. Ah, well. As you'll see next issue, I have been trying for the Wah Chang look in my more prominent non-humans.)

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 07 September 2014 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Speaking of aliens...

After posting the above, I wondered if I would have much success with more elaborate manipulation of human faces. Something beyond the "he's got something on the bridge of his nose" approach popularized by TNG, but still not something that would overly tax my Photoshopping skills.

I grabbed a shot at random, and produced this:

After I was done, I checked the list and found that Ian Wolfe, the actor here, had not signed off on the use of his likeness. So THIS face you won't be seeing. But. . .   something similar?

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2014 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I think this is a good effort.  The ears are very unique, but the bright solid color still gives you that TOS flavor.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2014 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I buy that alien design. Throw a little noise into the black areas and you're golden. Looks neat!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 September 2014 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I buy that alien design. Throw a little noise into the black areas and you're golden. Looks neat!

The black areas are just filler. I've already been wondering if, designing an alien I can actually use, I might create some headgear in my 3D modeler, and render it from the appropriate angles for Photoshopping into the finished images.

I also think, if I am going to do this, I need to push further away from pronounced human features -- like the nose, for instance. There were certain imposed limitations that made TOS aliens so human. Those are limitations I do not have.

Scott Andrews
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2014 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Loving the red alien, JB, and the sneak peek of the deserted city from an upcoming "episode".  Thanks so much!

I started reading this thread, and then decided to join ByrneRobotics so I could comment here, because I was utterly fascinated by the creative process that you are using to create such unique original comics.  You've literally created a new artform, here!  I've likened this, telling friends about what you are doing, to when George Romero "invented" the modern zombie horror genre.

But I do really miss all the behind-the-scenes previews you used to show, JB.  I totally understand that once it went from being a fun, on-the-side "what if...?" to being a paying gig, that you can't show us as many "teases" as before.  No problem.

But maybe you could show us some more of your thought process, evolution of the stories, page and panel construction, etc., for issues that have already been published ???

<< Prev Page of 448 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version