Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 449 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 September 2014 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

There's a problem with finding previews that aren't Spoilers!
Back to Top profile | search

Phil Southern
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2014 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

JB,

When it comes to finding usable "sets", can you use images from other shows filmed on The Paramount Lot, or different pictures of locations they used routinely for shooting?  

Thanks!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 September 2014 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

When it comes to finding usable "sets", can you use images from other shows filmed on The Paramount Lot, or different pictures of locations they used routinely for shooting?

I can't stray outside TOS for established sets, tho I can go worldwide with "location" shooting, provided I modify the images enough to avoid infringement.

Phil Southern
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2014 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Thanks!

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 09 September 2014 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I really like your alien design, JB - I think that would fit nicely into the TOS universe.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 09 September 2014 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Here's another manipulation, using some of the things I learned from the first. No attempts at texturing, just yet. Haven't decided the best way to approach that.

Also, different actor.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2014 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Looks like your reaching your goal of straying more from human likeness.
I can see some avian roots on this alien.  Can't wait to see the finished product. Thumbs up !

Scott Andrews
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2014 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The second alien looks great!  But I don't think it looks like anything we'd see at all in the original series.  So if that's your goal, I have no problem with it.  :-)

Scott Andrews
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2014 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Also, JB, I think you missed the point of my last post.  :-)  I wasn't asking for more sneak peeks of upcoming issues... I know you really can't really do that, for the most part.  I was hoping you might have some time to show us some of your behind-the-scenes creative process for issues that are already out!  Thanks!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 09 September 2014 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The second alien looks great! But I don't think it looks like anything we'd see at all in the original series. So if that's your goal, I have no problem with it.

This is the question to which I keep returning. With my "unlimited budget," how far can I go? As I've noted before, there is a danger of slipping into unintentional parody if I limit myself too much, while there is a chance of losing the flavor of TOS if I go too far in the other direction.

Given a choice between those two positions, tho, I'd prefer to err in favor of the latter.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2014 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

...there is a chance of losing the flavor of TOS if I go too far in the other direction.
----------------------------
I wouldn't worry as much about it, JB. I think the 'guy with a funny nose and forehead' alien is really more of a trope of TNG-era Trek than of TOS. The first aliens that spring to mind from TOS I suppose are Vulcans, Romulans, and Klingons, the latter of which appear to be only minimally different than humans, especially compared to more elaborate later versions of the makeup.

But a number of the signature TOS alien species, like Andorians and Orions had much more substantial makeup jobs, the Tellarites had full face prosthetics. The Talosians had the prosthetic heads. And of course once you get to the Gorn and Tholians, you're well beyond 'guy in makeup' category.

Unlike TNG, I think the only limiting factors on alien physiognomy on TOS were budget and technology, not some arbitrary 'rule'. The TOS movies, as further evidence, tended to take aliens even further afield (I'm thinking of III and VI especially).

I can easily accept either of the aliens you've posted here as TOS, for me, at least, the harder part would be their attire, i.e. trying to get that to have the right period look and feel for a TOS setting.

Scott Andrews
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2014 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

If it were up to me... and, clearly, it isn't... I would try to take alien design in much the same way you've already taken your excellent "set design":  by imagining what the producers of the original series could have done given a much larger budget.  But you've kept that classic Trek, Matt Jeffries look so well!

And, no, I don't think that would limit you to just posthetics and green makeup on actors, either.  Yes, the original series had their Klingons, Vulcans, Andorians and Tellarites.  But in my opinion the original series actually did alien design much better than ST:TNG and ST:DS9 (both of which have been criticized for their bumpy-forehead or nose-ridge alien of the week).

The original series also did full-costume aliens rather well given their budget limitations, such as the Mugato, Gorn, salt monster, etc.  They had some very cool aliens that had humans inside of them disguised pretty well, such as the Horta and the rock creature Yarnek from "The Savage Curtain".  They used puppetry occasionally, for Balok and the pipe-creature aliens at the end of "Catspaw".  They used animation and smoke for the cloud creatures in "Metamorphosis" or "Obsession".  And they even pulled off the Deneven parasites in "Operation: Annihilate" pretty well, using little more than string and air bladders.

Which is all my way of saying, have fun and increase your "alien budget" beyond what they had in the 60s, but maybe don't get too carried away to things that couldn't have been done practically back then one way or the other.

<< Prev Page of 449 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version