Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 215 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2016 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

At the end of issue 10 the preview for issue 11 says it will be out in March, but now it will be out in May - 2 months late. For those who follow this topic, we understand why, an IDW decision, otherwise it will appear to be 2 months late, unfortunately.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 February 2016 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Yes, there has been much shuffling with the amount of 50th Anniversary material IDW is producing -- including my own adaptation of "The Cage," featured here a while back.

Very strange, even with my schedules, to think that the issue I just finished, 13, won't be out until something like September!

Back to Top profile | search

David Strickhouser
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2016 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

JB, does this mean that approval of the likenesses has been ironed out and your adaptation of "The Cage" will go forward? If so, this is great news.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 18 February 2016 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

JB, does this mean that approval of the likenesses has been ironed out and your adaptation of "The Cage" will go forward? If so, this is great news.

••

Yes and no. This is a specific instance, with various actors being used not only in the roles they played, but in the same scenes. In other words, I am not doing anything with those "likenesses" that has not already been implicitly approved.

This does not mean I could use John Hoyt or Peter Duryea in a different story set aboard Pike's Enterprise.

David Strickhouser
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 February 2016 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

••

Yes and no. This is a specific instance, with various actors being used not only in the roles they played, but in the same scenes. In other words, I am not doing anything with those "likenesses" that has not already been implicitly approved.

This does not mean I could use John Hoyt or Peter Duryea in a different story set aboard Pike's Enterprise.

Thanks, JB.

As an example, if you were to do a straightforward adaptation of a TOS episode that included Eddie Paskey playing Mr. Leslie, that would be acceptable; but if it is an original story idea of yours, use of his likeness is prohibited.

On the subject of likenesses and approvals, what about the possibility of public domain likenesses (if any exist and are available)? Could likenesses in those images be photo-manipulated and utilized in a story?

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 18 February 2016 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

…if you were to do a straightforward adaptation of a TOS episode that included Eddie Paskey playing Mr. Leslie, that would be acceptable; but if it is an original story idea of yours, use of his likeness is prohibited.

••

He presents a unique problem. I am cleared to use any of the people who were sitting and standing around in the background in various scenes. Those who had no lines. But Paskey evolved from that to an actual character, with a name. So again, an adaptation is probably okay, but nothing new. (As I said, this is too bad, since he is in so many scenes I could probably make him the central character of a whole story.)

+++

On the subject of likenesses and approvals, what about the possibility of public domain likenesses (if any exist and are available)? Could likenesses in those images be photo-manipulated and utilized in a story?

••

I'm inclined to doubt there's such a thing as a "public domain" likeness. Even if the individuals pictured have no claim, the photographers still might.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 19 February 2016 at 7:41am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Tinkering a bit more this morning with my Klingon Engineering. (Think I have a place to use it!) Playing a bit with the lighting. On many of the TOS style sets I have built, the bulk of the model has no maps or color, and I "paint with light" in the Jerry Finnerman style. No exception here.

Two images for contrast: the fully lit version, top, and a version with only a single white spotlight, showing the actual colors.

Neither of these have the usual noise/blur added.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 21 February 2016 at 6:48am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Since that upcoming issue has scenes aboard a Klingon ship, I did a redress of the cabin "set" I built for the first issue.

This should warm the cockles of Kirkman's heart!

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2016 at 9:21pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Hey Mr Byrne,

Not trying to influence your story writing or anything but will there be some more issues in the future in which we see the main characters move through or interact with regular 23th century society in the future?

I rather liked that in "The Survival Equation", and the little bit in "The Hollow Man", Kirk and the crew just being regular people on a standard Federation world.

Edited by Marten van Wier on 23 February 2016 at 2:03am

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2016 at 11:02pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

This should warm the cockles of Kirkman's heart!
+++++++

OMG, the insignia is the proper, TOS-era orientation. Squeee!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 26 February 2016 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Couple of "final" tweaks before the set makes its debut ---- in an issue that won't be out before September!!!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2016 at 12:36am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

When ARE you going to stop creating comics from screen grabs and do some real honest work you hack?

Seriously, anyone who thinks these things are simply screen grabs needs their heads examining.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 27 February 2016 at 5:30am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

When ARE you going to stop creating comics from screen grabs and do some real honest work you hack?

••

That's MR. Hack to you!

+++

Seriously, anyone who thinks these things are simply screen grabs needs their heads examining.

••

If only this could be impressed upon more people!

I was thinking about this just yesterday, as I zipped thru one page that was, indeed, composed entirely of "screen grabs" while the next had a single panel (out of six) that took almost two hours to assemble, including rendering time for the model "set" and finding appropriate figures to populate it.

(One of the things I find to be still something of a challenge is matching the sight lines on figures lifted from screen shots and my models. I will think I have it worked out, only to drop a figure into the model image and find that his/her feet are on an entirely different plane from my "floor." It's all about the wide angle lenses, I reckon!)

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2016 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

JB, you once mentioned that you might post an "exploded" image to try to give people an idea of how much work goes into creating this.  Have you done that yet?

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 27 February 2016 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I posted an exploded panel a while back, and I think a couple of pages showing the steps (sort of).

Some else will have to find 'em, tho!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 27 February 2016 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Small experiment. Not ready for the book, yet, and certainly not as a front line character, but maybe lurking in the background...?

Great oaks. . . .

Paul Newland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2016 at 1:51am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Ha ha - awesome!!  I can see why you wouldn't want to use him as a front line character.  With that much detail, I bet he takes hours to render for every shot.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 28 February 2016 at 6:29am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Arex falls into an odd category, mostly occupied by just him!

TOS aliens tended to come into two main kinds: indistinguishable from human, except for minor details (Vulcans, Romulans, Klingons, most of the planets visited), or "puppets" (Balok, the Horta, the Tholians, the Melkotians, etc). Aliens I've designed for my TREK series have tended to belong to one or the other group. Arex's configuration rather precludes him belonging to either.

He's not really a "natural fit" for TOS.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2016 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Very cool....I was looking for M'Ress' tail poking out from the left side :-)

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 February 2016 at 1:46am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

TOS aliens tended to come into two main kinds: indistinguishable from human, except for minor details (Vulcans, Romulans, Klingons, most of the planets visited), or "puppets" (Balok, the Horta, the Tholians, the Melkotians, etc). Aliens I've designed for my TREK series have tended to belong to one or the other group. Arex's configuration rather precludes him belonging to either.

He's not really a "natural fit" for TOS.

---

I wonder what kind of planetary conditons would lead to that sort of body assymetry?

David Strickhouser
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2016 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

JB, it is neat to see Mr. Arex at the navigator's position. If you can get it to work that'd be ... swell! (I'm one of few people who still feel comfortable using the word ... swell!)
Another site, www.treksinscifi.com has a different take on Mr. Arex, according to the images.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 03 March 2016 at 9:10pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

How did I miss that Arex image when it was posted?? Awesome!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 04 March 2016 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

This morning I thought, what the heck! As long as we have a "volunteer" already there. . .

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2016 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Absolutely prrrrfect !!

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 04 March 2016 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Ha!  Yes!  

<< Prev Page of 215 Next >>