Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 186 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2017 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

There were two panels that confirmed it for me in the preview. Really looking forward to this.
Back to Top profile | search | email

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 13 March 2017 at 7:36pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Found an online review of "Resistance" that tickled my curiosity. The reviewer was pretty much over the Moon in his praise for the issue, but expressed a small gripe about the Enterprise poking around the boundaries of the Delta Quadrant. Unfortunately -- and all too typical of so many reviews -- there was no suggestion of WHY this would be a problem.

So... why would this be a problem? Any thoughts?

Back to Top profile | search

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2017 at 10:48pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Basically, Voyager was thrown 70,000 lightyears away from Earth, and was estimated to take 70 years of travel to get back. Earth is on the Alpha/Beta dividing line (or the Federation core worlds are, near enough). The closest the Delta Quadrant would be is the center of the galaxy where all the lines meet, 30,000 lightyears from the vicinity of Earth. The Enterprise would have to better Voyager's 1000 ly per year for a continuous run of at least 30,000 to make it near the Delta Quadrant in 30 years, or give us some reason to believe they found a way to shortcut it.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 13 March 2017 at 10:56pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Are we supposed to forget that the Enterprise has been to the "edge" of the galaxy and back (a 60,000 LY round trip) TWICE?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2017 at 11:44pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Don't forget the two times she went to the center of the galaxy (in "The Magicks of Megas-Tu" and THE FINAL FRONTIER)!

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2017 at 6:27am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

There seemed to be a lot of fast-and-loose played with terms like sector and quadrant... "(Enterprise is) the only ship in the quadrant" type of talk. Were we supposed to believe that every other ship was either preoccupied, or even worse, preoccupied all the way over in, say, the Beta Quadrant while the only ship remaining (Enterprise) was in Alpha holding down the fort to handle everything else that might pop up? Seems like a rather lopsided allocation of resources and an over-reliance on any one particular ship.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 14 March 2017 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

When I was a kid, just getting into science-fiction, there was a tendency to use "galaxy" and "solar system" interchangeably.* Some of this seems to have lingered, vaguely, into the early days of STAR TREK. Consider Pike telling the Talosians that he is from a solar system "at the other end of this galaxy," and Kirk & crew flying outside the galactic "edge". There is a distinct lack of scale in these references. (In comics, we had references to the "Skrull galaxy," when star system would probably have made more sense.)

----------------

* There was also a habit of using "solar system" to mean the planetary families of stars other than Sol.

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2017 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Are we supposed to ignore the times the Enterprise went to the core and edge of the galaxy? In a word, yes. Or --and here is the important part -- explain them. The first trip out was a major expedition, and by the time they got back the uniforms had changed. The Kelvans and Sybok supercharged the Enterprise for their trips. What's that, you say? How did Sybok supercharge the engines? Well, he was obsessed with Sha Ka Ree, and he found a way through its barrier, he would also have found a way to get there.

That's what fans think. I tell you this, not so you can debate it online, but so you can throw them a bone: if they feel they have to, or if they like the story enough that they want to, they will make it fit. You don't have to accept whatever they cobble together to do it, just leave them the tools.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2017 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

(in comics, we had references to the "Skrull galaxy," when star system would probably have made more sense.)
+++++++++

...in the "fifth quadrant"!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 14 March 2017 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

That's what fans think. I tell you this, not so you can debate it online, but so you can throw them a bone: if they feel they have to, or if they like the story enough that they want to, they will make it fit. You don't have to accept whatever they cobble together to do it, just leave them the tools.

•••

"Never give the fans what they think they want!"

-- Stan Lee

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2017 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The galactic "edge" never bothered me as much as its "center" since you can leave the galaxy by flying straight up or down as well as all the way out to the perimeter. 

I haven't revisited "The Magicks of Megas-Tu" since childhood, so I find it interesting that the center of the galaxy is where the Enterprise met both God and Lucifer. 

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 14 March 2017 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The galactic "edge" never bothered me as much as its "center" since you can leave the galaxy by flying straight up or down as well as all the way out to the perimeter.

•••

Looking at a lens (or perhaps a fried egg) are you inclined to view the top or bottom surface as an "edge"?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2017 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Actually, yes. Because it is. Especially if your intent is to leave the interior of it. 

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 14 March 2017 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

The dictionary tells us the "edge" of something is a point furthest from the center. It's pure sophistry to describe the face of a lens as its "edge".

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2017 at 8:40pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

That interpretation seems two-dimensional, and not at all useful in either A.) leaving the galaxy to go elsewhere or B.) solving the problem of how the Enterprise got to these places so quickly.

Also, my dictionary has the definition of "edge" as 1. The line or point where something begins or ends. 2. A dividing line or point of transition; border. Both of those definitions allow for my suggestion just fine. Selecting and providing only the one definition that best suits one's argument while making no allowances for others could be viewed as a rather deliberate form of sophistry in and of itself.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 16 March 2017 at 6:37am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

…could be viewed as a rather deliberate form of sophistry in and of itself.

••

Indeed it could. So you should stop.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 16 March 2017 at 6:44am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Returning briefly to the real world, here's a peek at a panel from the current WiP. There are 12 separate layers in this image, not counting balloons and captions.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2017 at 6:08am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Mr Byrne, how many issues are you now ahead of the ones that have been published?

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 17 March 2017 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Mr Byrne, how many issues are you now ahead of the ones that have been published?

••

I am currently finishing 16, and hope to start 17 next week.

Yeah, I'll admit, I got so far ahead I got a little cocky, took a "break", and all of a sudden Chris Ryall was asking for a cover for an issue I had not finished yet. Eep!!!

Hope to get back to being three or four issues ahead fairly quickly.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 17 March 2017 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Set up the model Bridge for an entrance-from-the-elevator shot, and as the rendering took shape...

ARGH! A whole corner still unfinished!!!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 17 March 2017 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

And as long as I'm wandering thru the models, here's something in the works for a possible future issue. . .

This is not a partially mapped model. Those familiar elements really are white!

Christopher Giles
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2017 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Returning briefly to the real world, here's a peek at a panel from the
current WiP. There are 12 separate layers in this image, not counting
balloons and captions.

--

Wow! The look of this panel takes up the manipulation to another level,
in my opinion. Very awesome.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 18 March 2017 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

The look of this panel takes up the manipulation to another level, in my opinion. Very awesome.

••

Thanks! Obviously, since I posted it, I am quite pleased with how it turned out. I don't think it looks entirely "realistic," but it has an almost painterly quality that I find appealing.

And, of course, it's a shot that would have been a real bear to put together without my model of the Bridge!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 18 March 2017 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Chris Ryall and I were once again discussing the possibility of some kind of "flash forward" to McCoy of the FRONTIER DOCTOR vintage. Since I'd tossed my various TREK models when it seemed only the Jar Jar Abrams version would be allowed going forward, this necessitates rebuilding McCoy's ship, JoAnna. Here's a peek at the work-in-progress. . .

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2017 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

"Jar Jar Abrams" :D

<< Prev Page of 186 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version