Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 187 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2017 at 4:07pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Since I'd tossed my various TREK models when it seemed only the Jar Jar Abrams version would be allowed going forward

Oh were none of the other Star Trek series outside Ongoing allowed to do "future" scenes for some time?

Edited by Marten van Wier on 18 March 2017 at 4:26pm
Back to Top profile | search

Francesco Consoli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2017 at 5:59am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

April Previews / June Release

Back to Top profile | search | email

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 22 March 2017 at 6:41am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Scary! I am actually just wrapping up that issue, which puts me the closest to being "on schedule" (instead of way ahead) I've been on this series.

As with the "Traveller" issue, a minor change happened after assembling this cover, so the alien at upper right actually looks different in the finished book.

This issue also has a couple of backup stories, one with 5 pages, and one with 1. In the short one, I finally sirrendered to temptation and gave Sulu an "Oh, my!" line.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2017 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Aw JB, how could you do that to The Enterprise?!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 22 March 2017 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Aw JB, how could you do that to The Enterprise?!

This story sets up the "refit" of the first movie.

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
Nah, I'm lyin' to ya!

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 22 March 2017 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Excellent cover - looking forward to this one!

And I really dig the model for McCoy's ship - those Frontier Doctor issues are tops in my book! 

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2017 at 5:09pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

That looks fun!

Finnegan!!!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 23 March 2017 at 5:58am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The issue I start on next is going to involve a scene with a mechanical servant -- think NOMAD + R2-D2 -- holding a phaser. I've realized the "easiest" way to handle this will be to have the model actually holding the weapon. If I try to find multiple shots of phasers, all in the right position, at the right angles, I could go mad!!

I suspect this will be something of a challenge, but when done it will a handy "prop".

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 23 March 2017 at 6:42am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

A D'OH! moment! I have three or four practical models of the TOS phaser. I can "pose" and photograph one of those for my robot to hold!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2017 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

D'OH! moment! I have three or four practical models of the TOS phaser. I can "pose" and photograph one of those for my robot to hold!
+++++++

...because, as I well know, you can't stop with just one!

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2017 at 9:17am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Hello Mr Byrne,

A long time ago in an IDW announcement it was mentioned that you also had plans for a captain April series and a sequel to the Assignment Earth mini-series.
Will you still one day work on those?

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 23 March 2017 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

A long time ago in an IDW announcement it was mentioned that you also had plans for a captain April series and a sequel to the Assignment Earth mini-series.

Will you still one day work on those?

Not sure where you got the April info, but that's not in the pipeline, and hasn't been at any point.

Nor are then plans for an ASSIGNMENT: EARTH sequel series -- unless you count occasional appearances by Gary Seven in STNV.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2017 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Not sure where you got the April info, but that's not in the pipeline, and hasn't been at any point.

Nor are then plans for an ASSIGNMENT: EARTH sequel series -- unless you count occasional appearances by Gary Seven in STNV.

Well I got it from a Star Trek wiki (memory Beta) but I guess the writer must have been misinformed.

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 23 March 2017 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

You got incorrect information from a website with "wiki" in the title? I'm shocked! SHOCKED!!!!

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2017 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I don't want to go further of subject but in general this has been a reliable site for information about released Star Trek media spin off material.

Mischa Benedict Welsh
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2017 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I have a Strata model of a phaser - if you want it, its yours

Edited by Mischa Benedict Welsh on 25 March 2017 at 11:05am

Paul Newland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2017 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Love Janice's new look.  The more Rand we get the better I say!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 26 March 2017 at 6:43am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I have a Strata model of a phaser - if you want it, its yours

Much thanks, but I don't seem to have much success mapping other people's models!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 26 March 2017 at 6:52am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Off on a small tangent: Wrapping up the latest issue, I find myself thinking about TREK technology, and how I sometimes sneak in items that did not (and could not) exist when the show was on the air.

But it's that point of what literally could not exist that sometimes causes me to jump thru hoops to get where I want to go. I have a scene in this issue, right toward the end, where a character takes some data up to the bridge, to deliver to Mr. Spock. This was common practice on TOS, with characters constantly handing mechanisms back and forth, instead of transmitting the data from one device to another. I still use it for "drama," to give the characters something to do while speaking exposition, but back when TOS was on the air, it was done because nobody really had any idea of the technological revolutions that were just around the corner.

STAR TREK was not alone, either. Isaac Asimov wrote an essay about desktop computers, noting that even the most visionary sci-fi writer had not foreseen the silicon chip revolution. He;d come close, giving people what looked like desktop computers, but were really tied into the mainframe downtown -- which filled a city block!

In COLOSSUS - THE FORBIN PROJECT the supercomputer that takes over the world fills the interior of a hollowed out mountain. No one in the early Seventies, when it was made, could conceive of a day very soon when something as powerful as Colossus could fit in a jacket pocket.

It's a bit like watching a movie from the Fifties, where a telephone rings and the character takes his/her time ambling over to answer it. Part of my brain is shouting "Get there before the answering machine picks up!"

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 27 March 2017 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

And so begins the slow process of catching up on my deadlines -- which are ahead of the "official" dates.

Just sent Chris the cover for issue 17, and this time I actually have pages done for the book itself, unlike 16 where I had to make up the cover before I'd started assembling the interior pages. Kind of like my old days at Marvel, when I would turn in a cover as the "plot," promising the editor what I had drawn would be in the book!

(Not exactly the same in this case, as I do have detailed plots written before I start working on the pages. Necessary for Paramount/CBS's approval!)

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2017 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

This was not the original intent at the time, but Star Trek can now be seen as paleofuture - and for me, that is a part of the overall charm  

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 02 April 2017 at 12:04am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

FILE UNDER: Why I Love Photoshop

So there I was, sending Scotty onto another ship with some other crewmen, which had me struggling to disguise faces in order to get around the whole Likenesses issue. And then, a D'OH! moment. Make one of them Chekov!

Why this had not been my starting point I do not know, but the happy-happy part here was that since I save the files in Layers, with each figure separate from the others, and from the backgrounds, all I had to do was remove one of the existing crewmen and replace him with our favorite Russian.

And rewrite his dialog, of course!

Paul Newland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2017 at 3:13am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Yay!   More of the recurring crewmen on landing party duty please!  I'd love to see Uhura lead a landing party.  She had a few episodes off the ship so, assuming that her hairdo didn't change too drastically, there might be enough standing up shots to work with.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 03 April 2017 at 5:40am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Peek at a "set" for the current issue.

NOTE: the multiple Spock figures are just place holders. I wanted to check whether the figures in the tubes would be clearly visible, so used a "carboard cutout" of Spock I made a while back. (Multiple Spocks sounds like a Gold Key story, doesn't it!)

For those interested in the modeling effects, I placed "mirrors" at opposite ends of this chamber/hall, to create an "infinite" effect.

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 04 April 2017 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Fantastic production design, JB - my compliments to the construction crew!  I think your NEW VISIONS sets fit perfectly into what we have seen on the TV series.  The sets have expanded my impression of the original Enterprise while fitting right in with the look and feel of the show.  

<< Prev Page of 187 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version