Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 205 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2017 at 8:58pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

thanks! I missed it on the digital preview I got.

I think it's a case of paying more attention when I'm physically turning a page. I can see it more clearly in the print copy I bought from my LCS distributor. It must be a case of scrolling down the page and missing details.

In many ways, I'm still a 20th century dude.

Edited by John Kirk on 19 April 2017 at 9:03pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 19 April 2017 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I have yet to read any book, comic or otherwise, in digital form.
Back to Top profile | search

John Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2017 at 9:11pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Reviewing comics entails that I get them in digital ahead of release date. But I can't just get electronic - I also have to buy the print. It costs me extra, and yes, I have just read them, but there's something to be said for taking the time to pour over the artist's work; absorb the visual nuances and let the words of the writer sink. I like to take my time with a comic, but the overwhelming urge to get to the end is a disservice that a digital copy does to sequential art. It's a reductive effect - publishers like to shrink the images and words to basic data but in my mind, there's nothing that can replace the tactile sensation of a good comic (or book) in your hands. the very act of touching a piece of literature makes you a participant in its culmination: the audience interacting with the medium, at least in a limited form.

Jeez - I just ranted. I've done that a lot tonight. I have to use digital copies but I'd rather I was given physical copies ahead of time. I think it would make for better reviews.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2017 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

STNV #15

Another fine episode. More characters added to the NV universe. I can see a recurring role for the Traveler.

The Q'AL have the perfect TOS era look. By the way JB ,what's the pronunciation; cue-al, k-al, qu-al.....?

Anyway I can really see the progression and polishing of the "photoplay" over the episodes. Kudos!

I'm now geeked about the secondary story. Can't wait to see how it progresses.

Paul Newland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2017 at 6:00pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

An enjoyable romp.  It's nice to see a credible villain who isn't omnipotent and decent use of the supporting cast.  Plus - Janice! 

John Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2017 at 9:55pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Meant to ask, John: is he a friend? I'd be interested in the story of how his image was used, if you're so inclined to share?

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 21 April 2017 at 4:29am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

As some here may recall, I have for quite some time been associated in an unofficial capacity with a local theater group. Richard is a member of same, as is Sean Hannon, who "guest starred" in "The Hollow Man" issue.

Calling upon my actor chums like this has expanded my range of stories considerably.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 21 April 2017 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

sigh

Found another online review -- mostly positive -- that hands out a few demerits for various things wrong with the photomontages ----- and once again does not site specifics!!

"The perspective is off…" But in which panel(s)?? "Lighting is a problem…" Where??

sigh

Paul Newland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 5:57am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

SPOILERS... Sometimes the perspective on the traveller seemed off or rather there was a fish eye lense effect but I felt that was a nod to the non humanoid true nature of the villain.  I suppose someone who wanted traditional images throughout might have viewed that as a minus rather than a plus but I didn't. 

Edited by Paul Newland on 22 April 2017 at 5:58am

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I enjoyed the issue, although I'm a bit baffled by the TREKMovie review, which calls it "campy". 

I assume that this story is some sort of DOCTOR WHO pastiche, although I don't know or care enough about that franchise to get any hidden jokes/references. Approaching it purely from a TREK perspective, it tells a fun and interesting story. Some good uses of computer modeling, too, particularly the Enterprise Bridge.

The Janice Rand backup is intriguing, especially since it looks like it's gonna be a subplot that runs for a little while, bridging the gap between her unseen departure from TOS and her return by the time of THE MOTION PICTURE.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 22 April 2017 at 8:11am

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I enjoyed the issue, although I'm a bit baffled by the TREKMovie review, which calls it "campy".

••

I can almost follow the "logic" there...

"This is a sort of Dr. Who character -- so this must be a parody -- only it's played straight -- so it must be CAMPY!"

It ISN'T, of course.

John Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I didn't see the camp factor - unless the reviewer interpreted the panel where the Traveler peers around the corner to watch Kirk and Spock walk down the corridor. The angle was fairly pronounced but campy? Unless the Traveler is waving a cigarette holder around and shouting "darling", then the camp observation is a bit off.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 22 April 2017 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

… then the camp observation is a bit off.

••

As are about 87.635% of ALL observations on the internet!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 23 April 2017 at 5:16am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Speaking of this issue's "guest star," I should perhaps mention what a great help Richard was in "saving" this issue.

I had originally used another actor as The Traveler, but almost literally at the eleventh hour it was discovered there was a HUGE conflict, and I was set scrambling to find someone else. Richard stepped up, and even warped his own busy schedule to fit in time for the "shoot".

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 23 April 2017 at 5:46am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Some fun with the modeler -- beaming aboard a sample of a "mysterious fluid" in a current WIP:

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 26 April 2017 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Speaking of fan sites, as I was in another thread, I found one last night that "reviewed" the "Mister Chekov" issue by posting the entire story! Not sure if IDW knows about this.

The perpetrator of the site also posted a comment of mine from further up in this thread, in which I described my experience at the two STAR TREK cons I attended last year, where I discovered most TREK fans do not even know STNV exists -- and asked WHY?

The first post after the "review" said it was because this wasn't a real comic, just photomontages.

Now THAT is the kind of "helpful" commentary I have seen many times online, in respect to my own work and that of others. The question "Why don't TREK fans know this book exists?" is not answered by a comment on the perceived quality of the book, whatever that perception might be. Obviously (to anyone with a sufficient quantity of functional brain cells) potential readers cannot be put off by the quality if they don't know the book exists!

sigh

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2017 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

As I looked at the page above, I thought maybe the rarely seen "front" side of the transporter controls was only a work in progress, given how un-detailed it seemed.   But after searching screencaps on Trekcore, and finally finding a quality image from the start of Elaan of Troyius when the crew bows to her when she first arrives, I see that indeed the "front" of the transporter console was indeed as flat and grey as JB has modeled it. I should have known better to question such things!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 26 April 2017 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Oh, and in the quote used I reference the fact that STAR TREK comics just don't seem to be able to command the kind of audience one might expect, and I put this down the the limited crossover between Trekkies and comic fans.

This produced an instand declaration of "False!" from one poster -- and a classic representation of the "microcosm effect". TREK comics have always sold well, he declared, pointing out how many of them there have been. This demonstrates a lack of knowledge of how the Biz works on the "inside," but also shows us a reader measuring the whole by his own experience.

It's a lot like people being surprised when their favorite TV show is cancelled. "But I watched it every week!"

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 26 April 2017 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I actually found the "campy" review, quite accidentally, and was surprised by how generally negative it was. But more than that, I wondered if this same reviewer would dismiss "I, Mudd" or "A Piece of the Action" or "The Trouble with Tribbles" as "campy".

I'm standing too close, of course, but I honestly do not see any difference between the humorous elements of my story and those TOS episodes. (And, seriously, comparing "The Traveler" to the Adam West BATMAN series is way off target!)

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2017 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

John, I still think that IDW should change the marketing angle regarding the series. 

It is a) in unique format (I am aware of only three photocomics currently being produced in print in the English speaking world), and by offering brand new adventures to the familiar characters the way it does the series is b) an integral part of the ongoing "digital resurrection" trend that is happening now across different media. 

IDW should put emphasis on both. I discovered the series because of this, and I follow it regularly now.       

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 27 April 2017 at 6:41am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I'm sure IDW is doing what they think best.

What this book really needs is word of mouth, which I hoped would get started after the reaction at the LV and NYC cons. But maybe all the local fans were at the cons! No one to tell!

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2017 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Some pages back I posted to this thread a link to a story published by Cinemablend - a movie site - regarding Leonard Nimoy's son's statement that he would be fine with his father coming back in digital form for more Star Trek movies in the future. 

For a couple of days comments below the story flared up, with some strong opinions going back and forth - if this is ethical in general, if this is a money grab plot by Leonard's son in particular, if this type of thing is even technically feasible, history of such attempts was discussed in some detail... 

I think of this too late now, but if someone simply posted a comment in the midst of it all along the lines of "By the way, John Byrne has been doing this for years with New Visions, generating new stories with young Nimoy from the already existing footage [added link]" many would follow the link to check it out for sure, and a few geeks would be intrigued enough to pick up a copy and see the end results.  

These are the people that I was thinking about. They might not be even be comic book and/or Star Trek (TOS) fans, but there is potential they could find New Visions appealing for some other reasons. 

Virtual word of mouth. I hope that someone at IDW is reading this.      

John Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2017 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

John - I spread the word about this book as much as I can. If it's exposure you're looking for, I can help with that. In fact, On the two websites I write for, it always gets my rave reviews.

However, I have some other ideas; like come to Toronto's Fan Expo. We can talk about it there and I have another avenue I can share with you.

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2017 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

And for what it's worth, I'll post that comment with link next time I see something similar online. You never know.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 27 April 2017 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

However, I have some other ideas; like come to Toronto's Fan Expo. We can talk about it there and I have another avenue I can share with you.

••

I don't do conventions,* and even when I did, I didn't find my presence there increased my sales.

––––––––––––––––––

* The two TREK cons in 2016 were exceptions.

<< Prev Page of 205 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version