Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 205 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2017 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I know, but I thought I'd ask. I'm probably just being selfish anyway. I've wanted to meet you for - I don't know - forever and have no idea when that will ever happen.

Still, I try to pump this book out as much as possible. It's one of my favourites for obvious reasons. I may have an opportunity where I can help out more. I'll know more by the end of the day tomorrow.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 27 April 2017 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I may have an opportunity where I can help out more. I'll know more by the end of the day tomorrow.

Cryptic!!

Back to Top profile | search

John Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2017 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Superstitious; don't want to jinx myself. But, in all modesty, I honestly think I can help with a little bit of promotion.

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2017 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I came across this one belatedly

Disturbing, but .... look at the comments at the end! 

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2017 at 6:19pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

What this book really needs is word of mouth, which I hoped would get started after the reaction at the LV and NYC cons. But maybe all the local fans were at the cons! No one to tell!

That is kind of disappointing to hear, that means that the fandom has shrunk over the years.

As for Star Trek comics being best sellers. I have only been able to look up sales numbers from the Marvel run in the 90s, and though they are higher than the current IDW Star Trek comics sales are (but I think this was from a time when comics in general sold more) I don't think it was a major seller back in those days either compared to other comic franchises.

Those numbers would be great today but I think it was from a time when publishers expected a lot bigger sales numbers for a comic to be considered profitable.

I have not idea about the DC run sales numbers but I would not be surprised if DC considered Star Trek a side business as best to their major titles.

Edit: based on the site that I use to look into sales numbers, the number of comics that used to sell 100.000 issues or more (well that or pre order numbers) has severely declined compared to comic sales of today.

Edited by Marten van Wier on 27 April 2017 at 6:26pm

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 27 April 2017 at 9:10pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I came across this one belatedly.

I'll confess to a degree of amusement when kno-nothings try to construct timelines. My work has declined since I started "managing" this site? Another manifestation of the sliding scale of "his old stuff was better." Which "old stuff"? Anything that isn't recent, apparently. Altho when this website started is pretty close to when I started on the commissions. I haven't heard anyone suggest they represent a major decline. (Altho there are those who flip the scenario, and insist I "put more into" commissions. Well, yeah, genius. There's more to a 20"x30" commission than a 10"x15" page. Do the math.*)

* And that's not even counting those who seem unable to understand that they are viewing the large commissions at a very much reduced scale, so OF COURSE the art is going to seem more "dense".

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2017 at 6:29am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Just read the Traveler.

Well, that wasn't what I expected at all! And that's a good thing. Really like this one, and also like the two page back up - is this going to be like my (possibly false) memory is of how you used to intro stories in the past went? A couple of couple page intros to the story followed by the main event? I used to love when that happened.

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2017 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Commissions are spectacular. 

I had no idea about them until I joined the forum, but I've seen quite a few pictures of completed works online since then, and I am truly envious of those who can afford the largest ones. 

Those recent solo Galactus pieces are a daydream for a mancave wall of every manchild. The thought has been brewing in the back of my mind since January, but I have to thread carefully, because this is genuine "wife would kill me" territory :D She learned to be tolerant of my comic books, but vinyl revival has pushed things close to the edge of gravitational collapse that produces supernova :D

In any case, the type of post I pointed to is a great example of online flak that I was referring to early on. If there is some kind of pattern to it all, it seems that the flak is produced by comic book fans who would like you to draw a series like it's 1982. New Visions gets unfairly in the crosshairs here, because it is not what they want to see.   

But with commissions, you do draw. Through commissions you draw everything, all the characters are still produced. So instead of putting down New Visions because it is something different, these folks should simply order their Hulk commission.          

John Kirk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2017 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Well, yeah. It really isn't anyone's business how one pursues his craft.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 28 April 2017 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

John Kirk's review of the issue is up on TREKCore.com. Very positive, too, which is gratifying given the amount of work -- including unexpected extra work! -- went into the issue.

(One note to the poster "Corylea" -- having only negative opinions is the same as having no opinions at all.)

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 April 2017 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

And poster "Trent" confirmed what I suspect above...   

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Hey Mr Byrne, you have tackled several cosmic concepts in your stories now such as the heat death of the universe, the birth of a parallel universe, and a visit to the galactic core.
But have you ever thought about doing something with another major cosmic event, the collision between the Milky Way galaxy and the Andromeda Galaxy.

Whatever happens four billion years from now to the galaxies, it won't be good for those who might be around at the time.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Hey Mr Byrne, you have tackled several cosmic concepts in your stories now such as the heat death of the universe, the birth of a parallel universe, and a visit to the galactic core.

But have you ever thought about doing something with another major cosmic event, the collision between the Milky Way galaxy and the Andromeda Galaxy.

Nope.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Nope.

Ah, to bad, would have been interesting to see how you would have worked that into a story.

I do hope you will use more cosmology in future stories. The universe itself is such a strange thing.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 7:21pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I forgot to mention: there is a small in-joke in my design for the Q'AL. One years free membership in the JBF for the first to figure out what it is.

RULE: Only ONE guess each. I don't want to fall into another one of those abysses where people just keep guessing and guessing!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 April 2017 at 7:51pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I see Robbie the Robot!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 30 April 2017 at 6:35am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I see Robbie the Robot!

That would be strictly eye of the beholder.

Perhaps I should have been more specific: it's a STAR TREK in-joke.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 30 April 2017 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I've noticed a recurrent phrase in reviews and commentary about NEW VISIONS. Even the most exemplary comments make reference to the fact (and it is fact) that not every single panel in every issue is perfect. The seams show. Sometimes head transplants don't work. Lighting doesn't quite match. Etc.

But here's my question: are there ANY comic books, drawn, painted, digital, you name it, that are 100% perfect, first page to last?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2017 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

That would be strictly eye of the beholder.

Perhaps I should have been more specific: it's a STAR TREK in-joke.

+++++++

Non sequitur. Application of my blinking voice-light panels to imperfect beings is an obvious error. I am NOMAD. I am perfect. These Q'AL cannot achieve such a state of perfection.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 30 April 2017 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Well, we all knew the Kirk(man) would win this one, didn't we?

T'is true. Amused by the number of times NOMAD's "head" turned up in later episodes, I built a model of his "torso" and slipped it into my base Q'AL. Tee hee giggle giggle

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2017 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Seeing the Q'AL use the deck-to-deck access ladder-tube in one panel made me think of NOMAD, but I hadn't noticed the design homage, 'till now!

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 30 April 2017 at 11:04am

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 30 April 2017 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

A positive REVIEW from someone who GETS it.

Paul Newland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2017 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I think that as time has gone on, you've become more ambitious to great effect.  Even the original show was far from perfect!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2017 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

"Well, we all knew the Kirk(man) would win this one, didn't we?"

I should've known better :-)

But yes definitely Nomad. The floating about should have hit me like a ton of bricks!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 30 April 2017 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

The floating about should have hit me like a ton of bricks!

Again my little "joke" seems to have eluded you, Doug. This is not a reference to NOMAD, per se, any more than the Romulan's cloaking device was a reference to NOMAD, or Flint's floating servant was. It's that I actually included part of NOMAD in the Q'AL bodies, as NOMAD's head turned up on those other gizmos.

<< Prev Page of 205 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version