Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 204 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 8:09pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I dunno exactly which model you found, Chief, but it may very well be the conjectural model Greg Jein built for the first editions of the STAR TREK ENCYCLOPEDIA and STAR TREK CHRONOLOGY. He built a few pre-TOS-era starship models to fill in the visual gaps in those books.

The most memorable of these models would probably be the Daedalus class ship, and the Botany Bay with rocket-boosters attached for its launch into space.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Sounds about right.

And don't remind me of that wretched ground-launched Botany Bay!!

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 8:42pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

BTW, building that library computer model I was once again reminded of the kind of "retro-tech" I'm working with in NEW VISIONS. As we all know now, the library computers aboard the Enterprise would be about the size of a sugar cube.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 8:50pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Meanwhile, watching THE ORVILLE and moving further and further beyond the Third Season*, I find myself once again wondering if I should "update" the control surfaces thru-out the ship. Easy enough to do with the models, but it would make for an extra layer of difficulty lifting whole screen-shots.

末末末末末末

* The crew having fortunately flown thru a rejuvex nebula....

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 9:40pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

And don't remind me of that wretched ground-launched Botany Bay!!
++++++

Heh. As I was typing, I said to myself, "Should I say it, or leave it for Byrne to grumble about? I'll leave it for Byrne".

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 9:49pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Meanwhile, watching THE ORVILLE and moving further and further beyond the Third Season*, I find myself once again wondering if I should "update" the control surfaces thru-out the ship. Easy enough to do with the models, but it would make for an extra layer of difficulty lifting whole screen-shots.
+++++++

This raises the question of how far to take such tinkering. The PHASE II fanfilm series deliberately began with a pure TOS look, then began shifting props, costumes, and their CG Enterprise toward both the actual, abandoned PHASE II series, and THE MOTION PICTURE. The conceit being that the Enterprise really did get Matt Jefferies' PHASE II refit treatment prior to being rebuilt into the TMP version. 

Personally, I'm fine with the classic TOS style being retained in full. I think that's a selling point of the book. It might be fun to see certain elements shift toward later iterations, but keeping the series visually set in the TOS era is my preference. And, those colored resin control buttons are rather iconic! 

I like seeing "new" sets rather than tweaks to the existing ones. YMMV. Looking forward to seeing what you end up doing.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 9:59pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Here's something I threw together using pieces/parts I found online. It would have to be completely redone for actual use, but it gives a "feel" for what I was thinking. . .

Not sure what those greyed out "ghost" buttons are on the inner edges.

And before the legions of idiots start freaking out, let me remind everyone that this would have to go through a whole bunch of "peer review" before I would be allowed to do it -- if I even decided to take it that far!

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 10:34pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Actually it is not that bad you know.

I could this type of control design being used near the end of the Five Year mission, part of the last regular upgrade before the major overhaul that the Enterprise went through before The Motion Picture. (tempted to use "The Motionless Picture")

Something almost related, Mr Byrne you made up some futuristic Starfleet vessel of your own a while back.
Was that just sort of a "doodle" or will it perhaps make an appearance in New Visions?

I remember the massive viewscreen it had on its bridge.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 7:24am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

That was, as you note, a "futuristic" ship that might yet turn up in a parallel universes story I have in mind.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

That image is really cool. Makes one think of a timeline where the Enterprise doesn't get the movie refit, but stays in constant service with lots of smaller internal upgrades. Maybe a second or third five year mission.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

That image is really cool. Makes one think of a timeline where the Enterprise doesn't get the movie refit, but stays in constant service with lots of smaller internal upgrades. Maybe a second or third five year mission.

Shhhhhhhhhhh.......

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2017 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

This brings to mind something I've been thinking about, lately. 

If STAR TREK had been successful enough to stay on the air longer than three years, if would not have been hard to freshen the show up and/or accommodate cast members who wanted to leave. Just bring in a new Captain, Doctor, Helmsman, etc. every few years, and tweak (TWEAK!) the Enterprise design to take advantage of improvements in visual effects and filmmaking techniques.

Even if the original series didn't last as long as, say, M*A*S*H, later iterations of STAR TREK could still have picked up where the last one left off. The Enterprise--the REAL Enterprise--could have become a truly multi-generational ship (but not in the "By Any Other Name" way), with cast turnovers and technological upgrades to the ship as each decade wore on. The series' premise and the ship itself would be the sole constants and touchstones of the franchise. 

Sort of STAR TREK-as-DOCTOR WHO. New characters board the original Enterprise every few years to explore modern-day issues in modern ways, without the franchise losing sight of the classic TREK format, which is brilliant and timeless.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 15 October 2017 at 4:58pm

John Mariani
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 4:51am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Oh JB that "Shhhhhhhhhhh......." has thrilled me more than you can know.

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

John, with regards to that console above and the review process which you mentioned, I am curious how that process works. 

Do you have to run any new idea that you wish to introduce via New Visions by the Star Trek franchise apparatchiks? Is that happening at the idea stage, or do you send off work in progress pictures (like the one above), or do you finish the whole story and then send it to them for their review?       

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

It's pretty simple. I tell them what I have in mind, and they say yea or nay. About 99% yea, so far!

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I got the latest issue of New Visions today and just finished reading it forty minutes ago.
It was a nice little story and I enjoyed it more than the previous issue but of all the issues released this year I found "Sam" and "Time out of joint" the best so far.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 16 October 2017 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Glad you enjoyed it, but did you really have to play the "more than..." card?

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2017 at 2:01am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I do not mean offense. In what way could I have said it perhaps better?

Paul Newland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2017 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Even more than! 

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 October 2017 at 8:09pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Eh, shouldn't I just be honest and tell Mr Byrne which stories I liked the most?

It doesn't mean I think the other stories are really bad or lesser. There are just a couple of them I enjoy reading in general the most, something about them that makes me come back to them and really give me the Star Trek feel.

I am not trying to say like "These stories are the best so you should make all issues like that because only these work."
That is the current television and movie production mindset.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2017 at 12:50am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Finally received # 18. Easily one of my favorite issues, thus far. A really tense and exciting story, of the sort you could imagine TOS doing, but for limitations of budget and practicality. 

I really dig the new survival suits, and they integrate into the TOS stills very well, as do the CG sets of the Bridge and Engineering. Thinking back to the earliest issues of this series, I can really see the learning curve that's occurred over the past three-ish years. Every issue is slicker and more precise in its storytelling than the last, and the constant innovations never fail to impress me. Despite the inherent limitations of working with still images, the stories seen in these comics don't feel constrained in the least. If anything, they provide more of a sense of "anything can happen" and sheer scope than TOS proper usually did.

As a genre fan, few things directly stimulate the pleasure center of my brain more than seeing the Starship Enterprise run into a weird phenomena, and her crew using their brains to unravel a mystery and solve a problem. 

Kinda trippy to think that this series has now been running for about as long as the actual show did!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 21 October 2017 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

As I wrap up issue 20, it is, indeed, crazy to think how long this book has been around -- expecially when I think back to that panicked email I send Chris Ryali circa issue 3. "I can't do this! There aren't enough pictures! I don't have enough stories!!"*

One of my principle concerns was the lack of guest stars. I was envisioning myself doing nothing but bottle episodes featuring only the Magnificent Seven. Realizing I could actual HIRE actors broadened those horizons considerably!

* My concern there lay in my having used up all my existing TREK tales in CREW and FRONTIER DOCTOR. For a short while, there seemed to be a freeze in the creative part of my brain, which was not generating new material.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 21 October 2017 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Here's a bit more tinkering with that "transitional" bridge. Just random areas addressed, at this point, tho the helm is now mapped with a design created specifically for that purpose.

I've done nothing so far with the displays immediately behind the control surfaces, and I'm thinking I probably don't want the overhead displays to be quite that busy.

Sharp eyes will note there's no room for Sulu's "periscope" to unfold from the panel. I'm thinking I might use the "floating" heads-up displays I messed around with a while back.

Paul Newland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 5:11pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Wow what a difference those few tweaks make!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

This again has me thinking about how the TOS designs could be updated for a modern-day incarnation, be it on TV or film.

A lot of people are saying that DISCOVERY "had" to tweak the technology, uniforms, etc. in order to work for modern audiences. Me, I say all it would take are a few tweaks in design (as with JB's revised control panels), modern construction materials and techniques, and good cinematography. Just imagine the TOS Bridge with modern control panels, animated display screens, and a perhaps slightly-muted color scheme, photographed in the style of modern TV. I think it would look fantastic.

I still maintain that Matt Jefferies' design aesthetic for TOS is more futuristic than anything that's come since. People tend to think that the ship and the sets were smooth and simple as a symptom of budgetary restrictions, and the 1960s ideal of what the future would look like, rather than being a deliberate stylistic choice. 

At least the Berman-era iterations of TREK maintained certain visual touchstones in the designs, despite getting clunkier as they went along. Aside from a few very specific touchstones (the insignia, landing party equipment, and variations of the classic saucer/nacelles design), DISCOVERY's designs are incredibly generic (lots of detail, lots of lighting effects, no sense of everyday practicality or comfort), and have nothing to do with the truly futuristic aesthetic that's been slowly bled out of the franchise. 

Clean and simple! That's the future. An iPad has three buttons and a touchscreen, and can do just about anything. 

<< Prev Page of 204 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version