Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 212 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2018 at 2:46am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It's a shame but not unexpected.  One extra season makes sense.  I've thoroughly enjoyed the run and will be there to buy any specials .  Plus, it's not over yet!
Back to Top profile | search

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2018 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"NEW VISIONS has been one of the best reasons to travel 
to the comic shop over the last few years."

It has been my only reason to do so (aside from an odd comic here and there, and Walt Simonson's excellent Raganarok).  

John Byrne
Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 09 March 2018 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

...TREK Byrneverse Saga...

•••

One of the most fun parts of workin on STAR TREK has been building my own little corner of the TOS "universe". Scratching a few itches. Burrowing into a few rabbit holes. Reuniting with certain characters. All the while working hard not to deliberately contradict what had, well, gone before.

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2018 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

There is a widespread consensus that writing of the TOS characters is spot-on in New Visions. Together with the fact that, visually, it is the actual characters - and the fact that the length of an individual issue corresponds to the length of a TOS TV episode - one can only lament that the series is ending. It truly was as close as one can get to additional TOS episodes at this point in time.

I also lament the fact that the only major photocomic available in print in the English language is ending its run (another thing that made the series unique).   

If the Specials do materialize, in a way the whole thing will go back to the very beginning ("Strange New Worlds" annual was conceived as a one-off affair).

Switching to "Strange New Worlds"-like Specials, creating things ad-hoc, only when inspiration comes, in full freedom and without any schedule - it all seems to me like a guarantee that stories contented within will be great regardless of how many of them end up happening. These additional stories will happen only if they really need to be told.             

I hope they do happen.           

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2018 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Mr. Byrne, I hope you would consider illustrating Star Trek comics again.  Your comics were fun reads.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2018 at 3:48am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Damn...Damn..Damn!

This was a series that kept getting better and better with each issue. (And it started off pretty well to begin with.) I especially loved the latest issue I read, using the comic format to see so much of the ship and the various ways to get round it, as well as the manifestations of Edith, The Gorn and Kang. And I can't wait to see more of Kor next issue.

Oh this one stings. Though I like that it essentially adds a while new season, part of me had hoped it would go for twice as long, to feel like we had the full five year mission. Boy this stings.

Nonetheless, thanks so much for all your work on this JB. I can't even imagine how difficult it was to produce. But I loved revisiting my favourite space show. In the absence of a fully working holodeck, (And the short about a precursor to this was fun in the latest issue too,) it was the closest we'll ever get to proper episodes of the old crew. And I feel lucky to have experienced it.

I hope you do get to revisit it in specials, but for now it's certainly been a great ride!

John Byrne
Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 12 March 2018 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Here's a bit of fun from the latest w.i.p.....

The issue features an appearance by Gary Seven, but I decided I didn't want to use all the same shots I had used before. The story is taking place several years later, in Seven's timeline, and it didn't seem logical (ahem) that he would be wearing the same clothes he did before. And I didn't think I could really get away with just painting over his suit in Photoshop.

So, I hired my actor friend, Sean Hannon, to be Seven's body. Sean had played Leila Kalami's husband in an earlier issue, but this time I needed him only from the neck down. We put together a suitable suit of clothes, and Sean struck all the poses I needed while I photographed him.

All but one, that is. When I was pasting in the new bodies, I realized I'd missed one pose. Rather than call Sean back for a single picture, I donned the jacket he'd been wearing, and had a friend shoot me in the .... I mean FROM the back. I pasted that in, and I doubt anyone will notice.

The fun part, of course, is that even tho it's only for one panel, I get to "play" Gary Seven -- from the neck down!

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 March 2018 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

That’s so cool!  Even though it’s from the neck down, you can still say you played Gary Seven on your resume!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2018 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It's officially licensed, so that means you officially played Gary Seven, JB. Heh,
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2018 at 11:53pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Why are you having people pose in clothes when all you do is take screen shots and add word bubbles to them?

There, I thought I would write the trolls their own question with enough errors to blow all our minds so the ignorant don’t have to.

Now, let’s marvel at the amount of effort WE know (or at least glimpse) goes into each of these issues. I am so going to miss these, but I love my Byrne corner of Star Trek that sits easily accessible on my shelf.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Here's a peek at part of Sean's "performance" as Gary Seven...

Ed Fahey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Interesting - was it much more difficult using an actor in this way than how you usually create these stories?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Too bad you didn't leave the socks in, so as to depict Casual Friday for Seven in the office.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 6:15pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

That’s really cool

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2018 at 6:21pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

You matched that up perfectly!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2018 at 12:13am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

You don’t even use a neutral background to make life easy on yourself. But then, I guess the lighting might not work.

Very well done

John Byrne
Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 16 March 2018 at 6:48am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

You don’t even use a neutral background to make life easy on yourself. But then, I guess the lighting might not work.

••

Exactly! When I first started hiring "actors", I posed them against a white wall. But I found using my living room gave a certain natural bounce to the lighting, that allowed the cut-outs to blend better with their surroundings.

John Byrne
Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 16 March 2018 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Interesting - was it much more difficult using an actor in this way than how you usually create these stories?

••

Both easier and harder. In the first case, I did not have to search for poses that matched my scene, but in the second I had to make sure my actors were posed just right in terms of angle and perspective.

It was a pretty steep learning curve, at first, after discovering that just the slightest variation could throw the balance right off. One thing I learned fast was to snap my actors from as far back as I could get, to match the wide angle lenses used in the originals. (There's a whole lot more floor in that shot of Sean.) This was something I also learned in the 3D model sets.

John Byrne
Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 16 March 2018 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Finding myself in an odd position, having decided to wrap up this series with 24. 22 is almost done, I know what's in 24, but I'm having trouble deciding what to put in 23. As my penultimate issue, it seems like it should be something fairly BIG, but I have so many bits and pieces of stories careening around inside my skull, I can't decide which one to let land!

ARRRGH!!!!

Paul Newland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2018 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Kang, Kor , and Koloth!  Or Uhura,  Rand, and Chapel go Charles Angels. Or  Kirk vs the Orion Syndicate .  

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2018 at 5:29pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

"Captain, the distress signal is very faint. I detect six almost non-existent lifeforms, and an automated broadcast signal from some type of robot, identifying itself as a model B-9."

"Cap'n, I've never seen a design like this... a true flyin' saucer. But its systems seem to hae been down for nearly three hundred years!"

"Hmm. Mr. Chekov, can we identify any markings on this ship?"

"Aye, Keptin. It's English... it reads 'Jupiter 2'."

John Byrne
Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 17 March 2018 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Two hundred years.

John Byrne
Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 18 March 2018 at 6:49am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Just had a weird idea for the 23rd issue -- and let me hasten to emphasize this is NOT what I'm going to do!!

But I found myself picturing a "clip show", with shots of me pacing my studio as I try to think which story to use, and "flashing back" to various episodes as I consider sequels and prequels and the like.

Fun, but something short of giving all of you your money's worth!!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2018 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Two hundred years.
+++++++++

Of all the retcons and misconceptions which have attached themselves to TOS over the years, I get the distinct feeling that the whole “200 years vs. 300 years thing is your “favorite”!

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 18 March 2018 at 10:19am

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2018 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Thanks for the chrono correction, Mr. Byrne. What can I say? I'm a big tipper... :)

Your idea sounds as if it could be a fun treatment of the third "installment" of "Visit to a Weird Planet"... a couple of non-canon published short stories where the crew of the Enterprise interacted with Hollywood. (They were magazines... Spockanailia #s 3 and 5 - and the second part was printed in "Star Trek: The New Voyages".)

Excerpt from "Journey to a Weird Planet Revisited":
"There goes the take," muttered Nimoy disgustedly. "What's the matter with you, Jimmy?"

"The captain's all right, to all appearances, but begging your pardon, Mr. Spock, are you?"

Nimoy suddenly noticed that they were in a room with four walls and a ceiling, and with no camera or lights around...

UPDATE: Further information is available on http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Visit_to_a_Weird_P lanet_Revisited.

Edited by Eric Sofer on 18 March 2018 at 10:26am

<< Prev Page of 212 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version