Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 448 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 06 September 2013 at 5:20pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

He's standing IN a shadow! Based on where Uhura's shadow is falling, I think anything the alien would be casting would be mostly behind her chair and/or on the black of the console.

Back to Top profile | search

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2013 at 5:22pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Gotch ya.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 10:26am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

As I've mentioned, IDW sent me a list of the actors from TOS who have signed off on the use of their likenesses in comics and other illustrated forms. It's interesting who's on the list, and who isn't. A few surprises in the latter category.

It got me thinking, and chatting with Chris Ryall, about the notion of "guest stars" in possible upcoming photonovels. Certainly I want to have some characters recur -- various Klingons, for instance -- but I also got to thinking about actors who played multiple roles on the show. How would readers react, I wonder, if I had, say. Barbara Babcock, who played Mea 3 in "A Taste or Armageddon" and Philana in "Plato's Stepchildren" (as well as providing the voice for Trelane's mother in "The Squire of Gothos" and the Beta V computer in "Assignment: Earth"), show up as a whole new character? There are certainly enough shot to make this possible. Speaking of Trelane, what about the late William Campbell, who played that part, and later Captain Koloth in "The Trouble with Tribbles". Would it be confusing if I had his face show up as a third character?

Points to ponder!

(Of course, it all becomes moot if the first effort lands with a dull thud! Despite the success and popularity of STAR TREK -- or perhaps because of it! -- comicbook versions have not been inclined to fly too high, or too well. Fans, I think, have been resistant to drawn adventures. Will they react more favorably to this?)

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

what about William Campbell, who played that part, and later Captain Koloth in "The Trouble with Tribbles". Would it be confusing if I had his face show up as a third character?

Points to ponder!

~~~~~~~

If it happen on the show JB I think it's okay for your novel. 

It never bothered me if an actor played different parts on the show. I never thought about it as a kid. When I got older, I accepted that it was an actor playing a different part. But we viewers aren't suppose to say 'Hey Trelane and Captain Koloth look alike.' 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Your Alien seems okay to me JB with the exception of it's feet. I keep thinking there should be a shadow being cast across them. I could be wrong. But that's what's standing out to me.

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

From IDW's website...

John Byrne goes to "Strange New Worlds" with Star Trek Annual 2013!

Friday, Sep 6th, 2013

The Most Unique "Photonovel" Ever Coming This December

San Diego, CA (Sept 6, 2013) - John Byrne is no stranger to breaking new ground and he is doing it again with the extra-length Star Trek Annual 2013, arriving this December from IDW.

Byrne returns to the Star Trek universe in an entirely unexpected way-for this annual, he has created a completely original Star Trek story that plays out like a "lost episode," using a uniquely constructed photomontage to create an entirely new story. "Strange New Worlds" serves as a direct sequel to the fan-favorite episode, "Where No Man Has Gone Before," which aired as the third episode of Star Trek's first season in 1966.

"There was a visual richness to that second pilot that really drew me in," said writer/artist John Byrne, "and since I have long wanted to experiment with something like this project, that episode seemed the perfect choice for a sequel."

Years ago, James Kirk saved his ship, but the price was the life of his oldest friend in Starfleet-or was it? Fans will see Gary Mitchell's story take a surprising turn in this story. But the uniqueness of this project does not end with the plotline; rather, it continues with the photomontage art form that Byrne has chosen to tell this original story. Star Trek photonovels, in which a book was created by adapting a film or television episode using actual film stills in place of traditional artwork, with narrative text and dialogue presented in word balloons, were popular in the late 1970s. But this is where the past becomes the future-Byrne didn't just insert film stills, he created them. In order to tell a new Star Trek story in this "fumetti" style, he did much more than pluck existing images, instead compositing together multiple pieces of film stills and manipulating them to tell the exact story he wanted.

"This project started out as just a fun diversion for John in between other projects," said Editor-in-Chief Chris Ryall, "and as is wont to happen with JB, it continued to grow and become something much bigger than his original intent. It's a blast to see an 'all-new' original series episode done this way. Byrne has produced over 500 pages of Star Trek comics for us already, but I can promise readers that they've never seen this kind of Star Trek comic from him before."

Star Trek Annual 2013, a 48-page issue, is under license by CBS Consumer Products and will be in stores third week of December. 

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

sigh

I asked them to lose the "unique".

I'd understood, too, that they were going to promo it with a peek at the first five pages, otherwise I would also have asked them to tone down the "not just inserted clips" stuff. On that first page, five of the six panels are just that, "inserted clips".

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I am not a huge TOS fan, but I plan on buying the issue.  It is just such a fun experiment.

Rick Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 5:09pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

JB: An attempt at blending a full figure of one of my aliens into a shot from TOS. Don't think it's 100% successful, but honestly can't tell if that's because the Photoshopping doesn't work, or because the alien is SO alien "he" just looks odd on the Bridge!!

---------------------------------------------

To my eye, he works surprisingly well - probably because the long neck and three legs makes me think of TAS' Lt. Arex, so there's a suitable TREK precedent!

Hope this hits the iOS application (c'mon, IDW - where the hell is 'CREW'?!?) - I'm just bowled over by this whole thing. In fact, it's funny - when I first read 'CREW' I felt it was like reading a lost TOS script made into a comicbook series. And now this, which is even more uncanny in that respect. Fab!

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 6:04pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

JB: Given your desire to use Robert Culp, have you asked IDW to look into the use of his image, legal clearance-wise?

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Using someone like Culp would present a huge logistical problem. There are literally tens of thousands of images from the TOS episodes available online, and, as I have admitted, I have so many of the episodes stored in my head that finding the shots I need is relatively easy. But finding shots of Culp, or any other actor who did not actually appear on STAR TREK would be a nightmare!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 6:35pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

It never bothered me if an actor played different parts on the show. I never thought about it as a kid. When I got older, I accepted that it was an actor playing a different part. But we viewers aren't suppose to say 'Hey Trelane and Captain Koloth look alike.'

Yet I have seen serious nutball TREK fans debating in all earnestness whether or not Sarek was a Romulan spy!

<< Prev Page of 448 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version