Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 448 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 6:46pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

That page looks sweet! Looking forward to the comic. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Yet I have seen serious nutball TREK fans debating in all earnestness whether or not Sarek was a Romulan spy!
~~~~~~~~
I don't want to be too hard on some of the fandom but there does seem to be a few people that go too far.
At a convention once two people in front of me in line  almost broke out into a fight over how to say something correctly in Klingon. 
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I have a convoluted fannish theory that allows Number One and Luxwana Troi to be the same, long-lived character. I would never try to put it forth as canonical, but I like it.

I could completely see a "Squire of Gothos" prequel in which the shapeless green blob that is Trelayne meets the Klingons long before Kirk and takes his first corporeal form imitating Koloth to have fun with the Klingon captain and his crew. Later, when he meets Kirk and co., he just happens to have the shape of Koloth already on-hand in his book of tricks...

Hey, if stuff like "Q-in-Law" can make the grade... :-)

It's nice to have a release date for this book. It's the first thing in quite some time to which I am truly looking forward.

Edited by Brian Hague on 08 September 2013 at 7:12pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 7:31pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but surely this is something that IDW could provide assistance on. You're the artist, your role should be the creative element, not the tedious technical element of getting headshots.

Providing that the rights were available (not even sure how that would work, as "stills" of Culp for example would be from multiple copyright holders, etc.), IDW must have a few "summer students" or better yet "unpaid interns" (ha!) that could catalog a bunch of headshots into a database. (Left side, right side, high angle, blah blah blah).

You compose your scenes and you need ... Culp shot from the left side from a kind of high angle, blah blah blah - the database is searched and 3 shots show up.

Given wanting to set such a thing in one time period (?), there'd also be a limit of shots from say 1963-1966, further limited by hairstyle, etc. But anyway, my point, if I have one, is that IDW could do the legwork for you in compiling shots into some organized form, so that you could compose your scenes and find the appropriate one with relatively minimal effort.

Anyway, if using Cult is really something you're passionate about, then I hope it's something you get to do. It couldn't hurt to ask, right?

I'm looking forward to this Photo-Novel, though. Good stuff.

QUOTE:
Using someone like Culp would present a huge logistical problem. There are literally tens of thousands of images from the TOS episodes available online, and, as I have admitted, I have so many of the episodes stored in my head that finding the shots I need is relatively easy. But finding shots of Culp, or any other actor who did not actually appear on STAR TREK would be a nightmare!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 09 September 2013 at 3:17am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Anyway, if using Cult is really something you're passionate about...

It's not. Merely a curiosity. As noted several years back, having picked up the first season of THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. on DVD, I was struck by how many future TREK alumni appeared on that show. When Culp showed up as a villain in one episode, it made me wonder why he had not been on STAR TREK. There were several characters that would have seemed tailor made for his talents. Richard Daystrom, Commodore Decker, Captain Tracy, Roger Korby, Dr. Adams, Captain Garth. He'd have chewed the scenery quite nicely, too, in the smaller but pivotal role of Simon van Gelder.

Merely a curiosity.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2013 at 6:57am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Just watched Culp last night in the "Architects of Fear" episode from THE OUTER LIMITS... he definitely had the chops to pull off any one of those roles you mentioned!

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2013 at 10:10am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

My bad. Rationale still stands for what its worth. 

"Star Trek - Tonight's Guest Star - Liberace!"

QUOTE:
Merely a curiosity.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 09 September 2013 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Just watched Culp last night in the "Architects of Fear" episode from THE OUTER LIMITS... he definitely had the chops to pull off any one of those roles you mentioned!

He'd also have made a very interesting Gary Seven. Not surprising, I suppose, that a few years later he turned up in a very similar role in Roddenberry's busted pilot SPECTER.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 09 September 2013 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Just watched Culp last night in the "Architects of Fear" episode from THE OUTER LIMITS.

Part of the curse of a hyperactive imagination is that THE OUTER LIMITS used to scare the bejeebus out of me when I was in my early teens. Every week I'd watch it, and even the relatively "low key" episodes I managed to ramp up all the way to 11 in my head.

This particular episode was deemed so scary by the local (and only!) station that they blacked out the final "reveal" on the monster -- which only had the effect of making me turn it into something EVEN WORSE in my head. When I finally saw the real deal, years later, I was distinctly disappointed!

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2013 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I can picture Culp in the role of Captain Christopher from "Tomorrow is Yesterday."

Culp did an episode of Bonanza, I believe, in which he played a singing cowboy on the run for a murder he didn't commit. I wonder if there wasn't some spin-off potential in that somewhere...

As much fun as it is casting Culp in episodes of Star Trek that were made, it's also fun imagining a script written with the knowledge that Culp had signed on to appear and tailored to show him off to his best effect. Not that that would have occured, given the pressure cooker environment and rapid pace at which episodes were made, but it's nice to make believe... What sort of role would he have played? Con man, ala' Cyrano Jones? Romantic lead tempting a crewmember astray? Alien agent aboard the Enterprise with a sinister agenda? Uptight Federation Commodore out to bust Kirk? Singing space rogue? So many possibilities...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2013 at 8:24pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Maybe a Starship Captain who's not corrupt or crazy?

QUOTE:
What sort of role would he have played?

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 10 September 2013 at 4:54am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

As much fun as it is casting Culp in episodes of Star Trek that were made, it's also fun imagining a script written with the knowledge that Culp had signed on to appear and tailored to show him off to his best effect. Not that that would have occured, given the pressure cooker environment and rapid pace at which episodes were made, but it's nice to make believe... What sort of role would he have played? Con man, ala' Cyrano Jones? Romantic lead tempting a crewmember astray? Alien agent aboard the Enterprise with a sinister agenda? Uptight Federation Commodore out to bust Kirk? Singing space rogue? So many possibilities...

I still think Richard Daystrom and Commodore Decker would have been the best for Culp. Each has that "arc of insanity" that would have played well to his talents as an actor.

<< Prev Page of 448 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version