Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 448 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 October 2013 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I have to questions JB. 

Have you had to change your story because of actors not signing off to allow their likenesses being used ?

There's something I'm curious about. How long does it take you to construct a page ? Specifically referring to constructing the elements of the page. 

I've done things similar to this in photoshop while I was in school. Not to this degree obviously. But it was very time consuming. It's worth it of course when things come together. Which is most definitely the case with this Trek project.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 October 2013 at 4:49am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Tinkering with what I hope will be the second such project, I had to make a change when I discovered that a particular actor had not signed off on likeness use. But then I realized this actually made a later scene potentially play better.*

The time it takes to build a page varies enormously. The first page, which is the one being used in IDW's promos, has only one panel that required "construction" (adding Chekov), so that was relatively quick to build. There are later pages, tho, on which every panel had to be built from scratch.

*Using this other character has led to a bit of pondering. Due to last minute script rewrites and other such behind-the-scenes turmoil, the character is wearing the wrong color uniform in the original episode. This would be easy enough to fix, with Photoshop (see the images of Kirk in different colored tunics higher in this thread), but does that mean I should do it? Part of my brain tell me that would be WAY too anal and fannish.

Trevor Phillip
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2013 at 5:15am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Since this book appears to feature Gary Mitchell (as played by Gary Lockwood) -- I just want to announce I had the very cool fortune to meet BOTH Gary Lockwood AND Keir Duella at SDCC this year.  Both were so friendly and so fun to talk to with GREAT stories of yesteryear in scifi TV and Movies.

As a massive fan of 2001 A Space Odyssey - it was a very awesome meeting for me.

-- now back to your regular programming --

:-)

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 October 2013 at 5:33am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Keir Dullea was a founding member of the Theater Artists Workshop to which my friend Joanne belongs, so I have met him several times. For Lockwood, I have to rely on degrees of separation -- my Ex, in her own theater days back in Chicago, worked with him in a stage production of "Tom Jones".

I mentioned a while back in another thread that Dullea tells the story of working on 2001, and that Stanley Kubrick had anyone handy reading HAL's lines, since Douglas Rain was cast after filming was completed. Often this meant using stage hands, who were mostly Londoners, so when he spoke the line "Open the pod bay door, HAL," Dullea would hear "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that," in a thick Cockney accent!

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2013 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

*Using this other character has led to a bit of pondering. Due to last minute script rewrites and other such behind-the-scenes turmoil, the character is wearing the wrong color uniform in the original episode. This would be easy enough to fix, with Photoshop (see the images of Kirk in different colored tunics higher in this thread), but does that mean I should do it? Part of my brain tell me that would be WAY too anal and fannish.
~~~~~~~~~~
Would it alter your story too much to have the character switch from one department to another? Thus explaining the change in tunic color.

On another note, I can't comment objectively on being too anal. I'm guilty of falling into that area too much. As for it being fannish. It's obvious you're a fan. If the choices you make aren't too self serving. I wouldn't worry about. If it's good for the story use it. Even if you feel it might be too anal and fannish. I feel confident your judgement will make the rest of us very pleased.

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 22 October 2013 at 9:09am

Luke Styer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2013 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
SQUARE BOUND!!!!!YAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!

Out of curiosity, what do you consider the "advantage(s)" of square bound?  For my part, it definitely looks nicer sitting on a shelf, but staple-bound lays flatter on the table for reading.

John Byrne wrote:
The time it takes to build a page varies enormously. The first page, which is the one being used in IDW's promos, has only one panel that required "construction" (adding Chekov), so that was relatively quick to build. There are later pages, tho, on which every panel had to be built from scratch.

I would assume that "traditionally" drawn pages vary a bit, too.  On average how does the time it takes to put one of these pages together compare to the time it takes to put a "traditional" page together?

Edited by Luke Styer on 22 October 2013 at 9:08am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 October 2013 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Out of curiosity, what do you consider the "advantage(s)" of square bound? For my part, it definitely looks nicer sitting on a shelf, but staple-bound lays flatter on the table for reading.

Square bound is classy! And the "lying flat" element is not really an issue. There are, for instance, no double-page spreads in this issue. Plus, IDW has given the book slightly wider margins on the inside edges.

++++

On average how does the time it takes to put one of these pages together compare to the time it takes to put a "traditional" page together?

Same answer, really -- it depends on what's on the page. An "average" time would be somewhat misleading, since a "simple" page might take an hour, while a more complicated one could take a day and a half.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2013 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

*Using this other character has led to a bit of pondering. Due to last
minute script rewrites and other such behind-the-scenes turmoil, the
character is wearing the wrong color uniform in the original episode.
This would be easy enough to fix, with Photoshop (see the images of
Kirk in different colored tunics higher in this thread), but does that mean
I should do it? Part of my brain tell me that would be WAY too anal and
fannish.
+++++++++++

Well, now, this tidbit has my wheels turning! Hmmm.

Anyway, I have full confidence in whatever you choose to do. One of
the glaringly obvious aspects of your body of work is your fierce
devotion to--and respect for--the integrity of story and character. The
occasional anal-retentive/fannish elements in your work are not a big
deal, as they are the exception, rather than the rule!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 October 2013 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Well, now, this tidbit has my wheels turning! Hmmm.

And I was sure you'd know instantly!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2013 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Four characters immediately come to mind--two Science division ladies
in red, and two base commanders, also in red.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 October 2013 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Those are certainly alternatives....

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2013 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Ah, yes. Of course! I knew I'd forgotten someone!

<< Prev Page of 448 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version