Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 449 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2013 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
Square bound is classy! And the "lying flat" element is not really an issue. There are, for instance, no double-page spreads in this issue. Plus, IDW has given the book slightly wider margins on the inside edges.

Well that addresses my only real concern with square bound comics, so classy definitely wins out!

This may be stretching the idea past the point of usefulness, but have you considered casting your own "new" characters?  You could take a few pictures of someone and Photoshop them into the existing Trek images.  That could be especially useful for Klingons if you were knew someone with dark hair and a good goatee.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 October 2013 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

This may be stretching the idea past the point of usefulness, but have you considered casting your own "new" characters? You could take a few pictures of someone and Photoshop them into the existing Trek images. That could be especially useful for Klingons if you were knew someone with dark hair and a good goatee.

Way ahead of you on that one, Luke! :)

(In fact, one of the stories I hope to get to do in this form requires a major "guest star", and I've been wondering which of my actor pals I might be able to persuade to pose.)

Back to Top profile | search

Luke Styer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2013 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

That's awesome.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 October 2013 at 5:14am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Not so much "awesome" as a matter of practicalities!

Luke Styer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2013 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I like the expanded possibilities it brings to the table.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 October 2013 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Alternately. Chris Ryall and I have discussed the possibility of "recasting" some actors who appeared more than once on TOS in different roles. For instance, in the case of the story I have in mind, Morgan Woodward would be ideal for the guest star.

This raises some questions, tho -- not the least of which being that those actors who have signed off on the use of their likenesses (of which Woodward is one) seem to have done so specific to the part(s) played. Thus, it would seem I could bring Woodward back as Simon van Gelder, or Captain Ron Tracy, but perhaps not as a new character.

Certainly worth investigating, I suppose!

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2013 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

JB, Do you have enough stories in mind to do a series of books ? Even if it was a limited series ?

Luke Styer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2013 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The other potential issue with "recasting" is that you'd basically still be stuck with photos culled from Star Trek episodes as "sources" for head shots, unless you got ahold of a cache of public domain images of whatever actor you hope to use.

The differences in picture quality may render this impractical, but you might be able to find some useable source images in DS9's "Trials and Tribble-ations" as well as those Enterprise Mirror universe episodes.

If likeness rights aren't tied to particular characters, but are "per actor," you might also check out the DS9 episode "Beyond the Stars," which featured several DS9 regulars who ordinarily appeared in heavy alien makeup out of their makeup, and so might be a decent source for less-familiar faces.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2013 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

JB, Have you considered creating your own alien species for these Lost Trek stories ? 

Luke Styer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2013 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Along those same lines, I'd love to see one of Mr. Luaba's species in photomanipulation form.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 October 2013 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The other potential issue with "recasting" is that you'd basically still be stuck with photos culled from Star Trek episodes as "sources" for head shots, unless you got ahold of a cache of public domain images of whatever actor you hope to use.

Not a problem, as I see it. Despite there being thousands of images of the series regulars online, I often find myself double-checking that I have not already used a particular shot, only to find I've used different pictures, but the actor has struck a very similar expression. (This is particularly true of the stoic Mr. Spock.)

So, if we take Morgan Woodward as a f'rinstance again, his two episodes provide more than enough images to create a third.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 October 2013 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Along those same lines, I'd love to see one of Mr. Luaba's species in photomanipulation form.

I think I'll sneak in a few "lumpy" Klingons before I embark upon something that ambitious!

<< Prev Page of 449 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version