Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 205 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2013 at 8:21pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Looks fantastic!

Out of curiousity, do you have dialogue already planned out, JB, and then you try to find a matching expression from what's available; or do you find a neat expression/visual first and try to tailor your dialogue to the image?

I only ask because that last panel with Kirk ("Do we have a choice...?") is priceless.  Just made me wonder about your process.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 20 February 2013 at 8:50pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I grabbed a selection of images, random choices from different episodes. As I picked them a sequence started to suggest itself, and when I had the page put together, I set about coming up with dialog. The images basically "suggested" what was being said.

Can't quite imagine doing a whole book like this! From my earliest days as a writer, I have favored the old silent movie method of "making it up as I go", but I also like to have at least SOME sense of WHERE I'm going! That's probably what persuaded me to go for the Mitchell story on this page's dialog. I already have a general sense of how I would want that story to unfold.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2013 at 10:54pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm sure Greg Kirkman will tell me if that star date has already been used!!

+++++++

It hasn't.

The true anal-retentives will doubtless find a way to whine about how the story doesn't fit into the chronology, though!

A quick look at the episodes in Stardate order theoretically places this story in-between "The Squire of Gothos" and "What Are Little Girls Made Of?". So, of course, some people would whine about Chekov being on the Bridge during that time.

Me, I don't care!

Instead, I say, "Go, go, go!". Looking good, so far!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2013 at 10:59pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

And then… creating "alien" landscapes I would go the same route as TREK itself, using Earth environments with a little tweaking.

++++++++

How "period-accurate" would you go with this, I wonder?

Would you tweak (or simulate from scratch) the oft-used on-stage, "alien planet" cyclorama used in so many episodes? Or maybe work Vasquez Rocks into a story?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2013 at 11:01pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I really like what you've done so far. When you first asked, my vote would have been for a "landscape" layout since this will be viewed primarily on computer monitors, but the more "pages" I see, the more I like the traditional comic book aspect ratio.

+++++++++

Hey, if this really goes somewhere, I plan to print the freaking thing out and staple it into a comic, myself! So, I vote "comic ratio"!

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 20 February 2013 at 11:01pm

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2013 at 12:11am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Hey, if this really goes somewhere, I plan to print the freaking thing out and staple it into a comic, myself! So, I vote "comic ratio"!
~~~~~~
I'm going to do that also Greg

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 21 February 2013 at 5:31am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

On the matter of star dates. . .

According to THE MAKING OF STAR TREK, when NBC elected to air the episodes out of production order, it was decided in house that rather than being chronological, the dates were calculated based on the ship's speed and position. Very sci-fi!

The real challenge for the anal-retentives, then, is whether the adventures happened in the order in which they were filmed, or the order in which they were broadcast. For myself, I will say this: as one who sat wide-eyed in wonderment as the Enterprise hove into view for the first time that evening in 1966, the first episode will ever and always be "The Man Trap". Which is, of course, why I chose it as the one to start this little exercise.

That said, perhaps I will change my star date to 3223, for a 2112 feel!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 21 February 2013 at 5:41am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Meanwhile, the Gary Mitchell storyline seems to be seizing hold! Yesterday I started on Page 2, the splash. This is as far as I got, so far from finished, with dialog to be added, plus a credit line for Roddenberry under the main title, but I thought some of you might like a peek.

To get a nice, smooth image, I went to the HD/Blu files on TREKCore.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 21 February 2013 at 6:00am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'm almost certain I've seen that red shirt wearing a blue shirt in a speaking role.

••

You've seen him in the first post in this thread. That was my point.

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 21 February 2013 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

This is looking better and better - thanks for bringing us along for the ride, JB.  Watching you figure your way through this is interesting and a whole lot of fun!

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2013 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

That Lithium cracking station is one of my favorite mattes of the whole 79.  Awesome.  I like how you're using the first season episode title font, too.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 21 February 2013 at 9:41am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

That Lithium cracking station is one of my favorite mattes of the whole 79.

••

Mine, too! When it turned up, heavily modified, as the Tantalus prison colony in "Dagger of the Mind", all I could say was "Hope they didn't repaint the original!"

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 21 February 2013 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

This is looking better and better - thanks for bringing us along for the ride, JB. Watching you figure your way through this is interesting and a whole lot of fun!

••

If I get really serious about this, I may have to stop sharing!

One of the things about an exercise of this nature is that as I get more and more facile with each page, I want to keep going back and tinkering with the earlier pages.

Should this turn into something "real", I may end up saving the whole thing, maybe posting it as a "serial" in the WebComics section of ByrneRobotics.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2013 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

This is really cool, and I hope you do make a whole comic like this, JB.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Luke Styer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2013 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
I'm almost certain I've seen that red shirt wearing a blue shirt in a speaking role.

••

You've seen him in the first post in this thread. That was my point.

Yes, I realized that after a second look.  Your "caption" for the image made it clear, but the color swap on that tunic was so effective that I didn't correctly process it.  My own color swaps from blue to red have never looked that natural, so I'm definitely impressed.

The notion just occurred to me that in addition to guest stars, you could have guest locations by incorporating matte paintings form other shows or movies.  I've grabbed photos of backgrounds before, but usually either "other" scenes from Star Trek or just photos of Vasquez Rocks, but I've never thought to try other matte paintings.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 21 February 2013 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

The notion just occurred to me that in addition to guest stars, you could have guest locations by incorporating matte paintings form other shows or movies. I've grabbed photos of backgrounds before, but usually either "other" scenes from Star Trek or just photos of Vasquez Rocks, but I've never thought to try other matte paintings.

••

Funny you should mention that....

The most elaborate intercombination of images so far!

Minus dialog, so at least I can keep SOMETHING for "publication"!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2013 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

For myself, I will say this: as one who sat wide-eyed in wonderment as the Enterprise hove into view for the first time that evening in 1966, the first episode will ever and always be "The Man Trap".

++++++++++

Can't see anything wrong with that! Despite that episode airing some 17 years before I was born, I've developed a sort of faux nostalgia for that episode whenever I watch it. Something about the historical power of that affects even a later-generation fan like myself!

I mean, it was the very first one!

That said, my preferred order is production, since some of the wonky bits (the cast changes, set, costume, and character development, etc.) stand out a bit when the episodes are viewed out of order.

Of course, THAT being said, that's very little episode-to-episode "continuity", so it really doesn't matter! Only a mere handful of episodes reference specific events from prior stories (the Organian Peace Treaty, the Horta, Spock's telepathic trick that was used on Eminiar VII, the Galactic Barrier, etc.). One can jump into any episode without a problem, really.

When singing the praises of TOS to friends who have never seen it, or think that TREK (thanks to later iterations) is an impeneratable, "fans-only" mythos that requires one to be intimately familiar with hundreds of episodes--I keep that fact foremost in my mind.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2013 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Mine, too! When it turned up, heavily modified, as the Tantalus prison colony in "Dagger of the Mind", all I could say was "Hope they didn't repaint the original!"

+++++++++++

I have the feeling that they might have.

After all, in those pre-George Lucas days, when models and setpieces and effects elements were seen merely as disposable tools (rather than artifacts to be archived or auctioned), the glass used for matte paintings was regularly scrubbed clean, so it could be reused for new paintings. 

Anyhoo, that particular painting (by the late, great Albert Whitlock) is a favorite of mine, too.

"Nobody but us chickens, Doctor."

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2013 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

If I get really serious about this, I may have to stop sharing!

One of the things about an exercise of this nature is that as I get more and more facile with each page, I want to keep going back and tinkering with the earlier pages.

Should this turn into something "real", I may end up saving the whole thing, maybe posting it as a "serial" in the WebComics section of ByrneRobotics.

++++++++++

Yes, please do that! I'd rather see a story fresh and complete, rather than piecemeal and in-progress. But also be sure to provide all those juicy "making-of" details over here, after it's done!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2013 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

The most elaborate intercombination of images so far!

++++++++++

Man, this is really working!

Being, well...me, I can recognize where some elements come from at first glance, but the arrangement and layout of the whole thing doesn't distract from the new story at all, in spite of the recognition factor. It all flows very well!

And that splash page of the iconic cracking station is haunting, perhaps even moreso without dialogue.

As noted, I'm not too keen on revisiting earlier TREK stories (since I think a good TREK story should be all about exploring new ideas, characters, and settings), but "Where No Man..." is a favorite of mine, and there's an emotional gravitas to that location and what it represents for Jim Kirk.

Also, ever since you brought up your lack of satisfaction regarding Mitchell's death, I've not been able to stop thinking about the possiblities of a sequel story. Again, as noted, I always took Mitchell's death as a given--logical or not--, but there's room to really go to some interesting places with a sequel.

Question is, would you put that particular toy back in the box just where you found it, after all is said and done...? Since this is fanfic, killing Mitchell all over again wouldn't exactly be a necessity...

Hmmm.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 21 February 2013 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Question is, would you put that particular toy back in the box just where you found it, after all is said and done...? Since this is fanfic, killing Mitchell all over again wouldn't exactly be a necessity...

••

When I started thinking about how I would handle the return of Gary Mitchell, the ideas began to cascade thru my brain, and over the years there were many changes.

When TOS went away, and there was, for a long time, no access except in fond memory, I didn't think much about my "sequel". But when TREK showed up in syndication, and then on videotape, I started being able to watch episodes, especially favorites, over and over and over. . .   And that was when I started to notice something I have mentioned before: that the crew of the Enterprise only very, very, very rarely goes "where no man has gone before". Many episodes, in fact, hinge on them following other ships -- which is what happened in the second pilot.

And when that started to churn in my urn, I knew I had the spine of my sequel -- Mitchell really WOULD end up going "where no man has gone before."

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 21 February 2013 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

… I can recognize where some elements come from at first glance…

••

Just out of curiosity, name a few.

One of the things I have been noticing, and finding a tiny bit disturbing, is that when I think "Here I need a shot of Kirk doing. . . " I can almost instantly think of the scene. Usually I hear the dialog first, in my head, and this leads me to the pictures I need. And to my great surprise, sometime I even find myself going into the Third Season!!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2013 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

"Strange New Worlds" is a very clever little sequel title, by the way!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2013 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Just out of curiosity, name a few.

++++++++

Panel 2: "The Apple".

Panel 4 (Kirk inset): "Charlie X".

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 21 February 2013 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Panel 2: "The Apple".

Panel 4 (Kirk inset): "Charlie X".

••

Right both times. And in both cases, I found myself thinking "I need Spock scanning with his tricorder -- oh, right. There was a perfect one in 'The Apple'." Same with the "Charlie X" quote.

I wonder what it's like to be normal?

<< Prev Page of 205 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version