Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 448 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 29 November 2013 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Appearance by the "finished" transporter room model in the next photonovel. I replaced an existing panel that was not working for me,

The change of wall color from blue to green was done in Photoshop -- there is another image of the transporter room earlier on the page, lifted whole from an episode, and the lighting there rendered the walls green, so I adjusted to match.

This is not a 300dpi rendering, on the actual page. The panel was small enough that the 72dpi rendering converted to 300 without too much loss in size.

Lucky! Last night I set up a "soft shadows" rendering of the Klingon bridge, in the hopes of using it this issue, and 9.5 hours later it was still far from finished.

Back to Top profile | search

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2013 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The transporter room is full of weirdness and ambiguity for me... they moved around the transporter panel, for instance.  That space to the left and behind the panel where Scotty bounced views off a satellite looking for Gary Seven at the rocket launch in "Assignment Earth" also seemed to magically appear, never to be seen again, along with the food dispenser used in "Tomorrow is Yesterday."  I get that these were part of plot points in specific episodes and prevented having to build new sets to do the business they were doing, but it confused me at times.  This screencap from "That Which Survives not only shows the moved panel, but also an apparent fresh coat of purple paint (note the line just above the red alert claxon.)  I'd always assumed the strange purple hue was lighting, but this photo makes me wonder about that.

[Edited to fix formatting - JB]

Edited by JohnByrne2 on 29 November 2013 at 10:43am

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 29 November 2013 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

That space to the left and behind the panel where Scotty bounced views off a satellite looking for Gary Seven at the rocket launch in "Assignment Earth" also seemed to magically appear, never to be seen again…

••

It "magically appeared", to be sure (just like the upper level in Engineering!), but once it was there, it pretty much stayed there. And it was there before "Assignment: Earth". Spock uses viewer to watch NOMAD blow up, for instance.

The shot also provides an example of how the control panel keeps moving around. Compare to here, from the third season. . .

That also features an unusual from-the-platform view of the transporter room. And, yep, the food dispensers have disappeared!

Paul Gibney
Byrne Robotics Member.

Posted: 29 November 2013 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I think we should bear in mind that there is supposed to be more than one transporter room and they are not necessarily identical.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 29 November 2013 at 11:12am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I think we should bear in mind that there is supposed to be more than one transporter room and they are not necessarily identical.

••

That's a bit of a tricky point. Multiple transporter rooms appeared first in the non-canonical "Technical Manual" published after the show went off the air. During production, altho it was certainly logical that a ship the size of the Enterprise, with more than 400 people in its crew, would have more than one six-at-a-time transporter, the only reference ever made was to "THE transporter room" -- and that was all that needed to be said to get people converging from different points on the ship.

It would have been fun, to be sure, to have McCoy come running in, complaining that he was delayed because he "went to the wrong blasted transporter room," but. . .

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2013 at 11:03pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I totally buy that rendered shot with the grain and the added figures. Looks damn good!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 30 November 2013 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Eventually I hope to show you all a view from the other direction! But for now, here's a bit of tinkering from this morning, adding a slight "Glow" to the rear wall of the chamber (also touching up the panels in PS, so they are not quite so obviously the same map repeated), plus -- the biggie -- adding some more TREKian elements to the lighting.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2013 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Bingo!  The latest version with the added shadows / lighting effects is suddenly starting to resonate for me... I can see you made a bunch of subtle changes (the floor-to-ceiling wall lights behind the pads have a more Treklike "glow" for instance, along with the draped diagonal shadows and adding the claxon) and your obvious passion in trying to get it right is "most refreshing."  Great job!

Funny, I'd completely forgotten about Spock using that scanning gadget in "The Changeling," but of course he did.  I like it whenever they added scope and scale to Trek, so the fact that they were consistent about that panel makes it much more palatable to me.

One of the highlights of "Court Martial" and "The Enemy Within" for me were the searches through the area of engineering where those giant machines were to the right of the giant opening in the wall (the core?)    We didn't get to see that area much, but knowing it was there just gave the ship more "heft" for me.  When they added the new room above engineering, I really liked that because it helped sell for me the magnitude of the size of that place (and the ship in general). 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 30 November 2013 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

One of the odd things about working on this model is being constantly reminded that it's a SET I'm working from here, not a "real" room on a "real" ship. The angles of the walls, for instance, make absolutely no sense in terms of the transporter room being inside a specific area of the ship. There are even doors hidden behind the "back wall" -- doors visible in the corridor, suggesting rooms that do not actually exist!

I am resisting the urge to make the set more rectangular, as it surely would be if it was a real room. I know that such a change of shape would seriously impact the familiar look of the chamber.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2013 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Question:  I know this is a work in progress, but I'm not sure what the subtle small light blue triangular shape is at the top left side of the transporter panel (either projecting out from the transporter wall corner behind or part of the panel?) 

The transporter room is looking great... are you planning to do recreations of all the main sets eventually because I can't imagine how long the bridge would take!

Edited by Rick Senger on 30 November 2013 at 12:06pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2013 at 12:09pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Very neat!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 30 November 2013 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Not sure exactly what it IS -- a shelf for a potted plant perhaps? -- but you can see it more clearly in this shot from "The Man Trap". Note there is also a similar brace (?) at the top of the outer wall, too.

<< Prev Page of 448 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version