Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 215 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 28 August 2014 at 7:41am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Progressing, I find myself wondering if it's okay to allow myself to start thinking about a few more sequels/follow-ups. Next issue, number 3, is one of the latter, something that spins off from an episode but is not a direct sequel. Might there be more of those?

The Prime Directive, of course, in any legitimate sequel, is DON'T CONTRADICT THE ORIGINAL.

Hmmmmmm.........

Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2014 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Gregory Class! How much did you pay for THAT, Kirkman!!
+++++++++

NOT my fault, honest! That's just how they categorize starships that
aren't given a class designation on the various TREK wikis!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2014 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

NOT my fault, honest! That's just how they categorize starships that aren't given a class designation on the various TREK wikis!

I wonder what the transporter accident rate is for the lead ship in that class...

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2014 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Great issue, JB. Picked up my copy Saturday. Read through it twice. Thanks for doing this series.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2014 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

JB have you ever given any thought to doing the story of when Captain Kirk first took command of the Enterprise?

I've been somewhat interested in seeing that. But if it never happened that would be fine. "Where No Man has Gone Before" is a great introduction.

edited to add
After seeing the terrible way Kirk and the Kobayashi Maru was handled in NUtrek. I've so wanted to see how you would've done it.

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 02 September 2014 at 2:35pm

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 02 September 2014 at 3:36pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

JB have you ever given any thought to doing the story of when Captain Kirk first took command of the Enterprise?

The sixth issue (on which I am currently working) is set between "Where No Man has Gone Before" and "The Corbomite Maneuver." Due to the slightly dodgy nature of the timeline any earlier than that, I suspect Paramount/CBS would be resistant to pushing it any further back.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 02 September 2014 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Side Note: as I am working "in" the First Season for issue 6, I am once again reminded of the amazingly rich, saturated palette of the early episodes. Not just the bright pastels that were common in Sixties shows. Each frame is like drinking in a Renaissance painting!

Scott Andrews
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2014 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

JB said:  "I am once again reminded of the amazingly rich, saturated palette of the early episodes. Not just the bright pastels that were common in Sixties shows. Each frame is like drinking in a Renaissance painting!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Can't remember where I read it, a long time ago, but there was a theory that the famous letter-writing campaigns really had very little to do with Star Trek being renewed for a second and third season despite poor ratings.  Instead, the theory went, the series was renewed by CBS at the request (order?) of RCA.  (Can't remember what the relationship between the two companies was, exactly.)  The reason being: Trek regularly ranked #1 or 2 as being the most popular shows among people who had color tv's... and RCA was trying hard to sell them, since color tv was still a relatively new thing.

Or so the theory goes anyway.  :-)

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 02 September 2014 at 8:18pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

That was NBC that originally broadcast STAR TREK. CBS comes into the picture by mysterious means I do not fathom!

Scott Andrews
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2014 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

You're right, of course!  NBC.  My bad.  But I'm pretty sure it was RCA trying to sell their color tv's.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2014 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Can't remember where I read it, a long time ago, but there was a theory
that the famous letter-writing campaigns really had very little to do with
Star Trek being renewed for a second and third season despite poor
ratings. Instead, the theory went, the series was renewed by CBS at
the request (order?) of RCA. (Can't remember what the relationship
between the two companies was, exactly.) The reason being: Trek
regularly ranked #1 or 2 as being the most popular shows among
people who had color tv's... and RCA was trying hard to sell them, since
color tv was still a relatively new thing.
++++++++++

I believe Herb Solow and Bob Justman talked about it in their excellent
INSIDE STAR TREK book. They'd certainly have been in a position to
know, if that was indeed the case!

Scott Andrews
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2014 at 9:08pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

JB said, "CBS comes into the picture by mysterious means I do not fathom!"
--------------------------------
I googled it, and it's just corporate shenanigans as near as I can tell.  Mergers, purchases, etc.  For a while, no one wanted Star Trek.  I read once in a biography of Gene Roddenberry that back in 1970 he could have owned the rights to Star Trek for only $150,000... but he didn't have that kind of money sitting around at the time!  Wow.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 03 September 2014 at 9:41am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

There's a weird little quirk in my eyes, that makes me unable to see craters as craters. When I look at pictures of the surface of the Moon, for instance, no matter how hard I try, I can only see DOMES, not depressions.

This caught up to me this morning. I was working on a shot of the Enterprise approaching a planet with a big crater in one side, and when I'd finished the image I sat back and ---- there was a big DOME on one side of the planet!!!!

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2014 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

The connection between CBS and Paramount over Star Trek is more complicated than I ever imagined:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek_corporate_history

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 06 September 2014 at 5:30am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

An interesting development, about which there will be more later:

Some who are reading this series feel that I should restrict myself to the "world" of TOS exclusively. That the science, for instance, should represent only what was known back in the mid-Sixties (when a quasar could be portrayed as a green cloud floating in the Milky Way).* Even techno-babble should be only what was on TOS, and not pull in elements from TNG or later iterations. In other words, my stories should not be prescient. They should not present knowledge not available when the original 79 episodes were produced.

Well, on the one hand I sort of agree. But that hasn't stopped me slipping in an occasional lumpy Klingon, or even offering a flash-forward (in an upcoming issue). And now, chatting with Chris Ryall, something even MORE surprising has crept into the spotlight. Right now, it's in CBS's court to decide whether to allow this crazy idea, but Chris expects them to have no problem with it. We shall see.

In any case, those who do not want NEW VISIONS to "know the Future" will probably want to tightly bind their heads to avoid explosions. . . !!!

(As usual, no speculations, please!!)

末末末末末

* There seems to have been some degree of relaxation on this point. There was not, so far as I know, any squawking about my description of the Galactic Core in the second issue, even tho the harsh conditions now known to exist there were not part of our common awareness in the Sixties.

paul naring
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2014 at 6:17am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I have no problem with using modern science reefrences. The 60s were the 60s and the stories were told according to what they knew then. These are modern tales. Not an issue to me.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2014 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

This will be a delicate situation , I love reading New Visions and being transported back to that time and, like many have said , having a feel of a lost episode . That being said I have full confidence in your creative genius to blend the past and the present to make it work seamleslly.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2014 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

What Doug said!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 06 September 2014 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

This will be a delicate situation , I love reading New Visions and being transported back to that time and, like many have said , having a feel of a lost episode . That being said I have full confidence in your creative genius to blend the past and the present to make it work seamleslly.

Well, I'm already "spending more" on sets and location shooting than TOS ever did!

Speaking of which, in the current issue I have a sequence where a landing party is exploring a deserted "futuristic" city. I created this "location" by patching together appropriate shots of Mid-Century Modern architecture. Then I set about looking for interiors that would match what I'd built.

After several hours work, tho, I suddenly thought "Why am I doing this?" On TOS they had no qualms about cutting from an LA exterior to a Matt Jeffries hallway. So I scrapped all my hard work and went back to some of the models I'd already used. Recycling, again much like TOS.

A small Before&After comparison from one of the pages:

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2014 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

"After several hours work, tho, I suddenly thought "Why am I doing this?" On TOS they had no qualms about cutting from an LA exterior to a Matt Jeffries hallway. So I scrapped all my hard work and went back to some of the models I'd already used. Recycling, again much like TOS. "

I think that's a smart move,why reinvent the wheel? Use the sources already available to you, makes life a lot easier. Chalk this one up to experience.

After just seeing 1 page I can't wait to read it!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2014 at 9:43pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Goldshirt Uhura!

paul naring
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2014 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

second version looks better because it looks like TOS. Another puzzle solved by you JB that just gives this project even greater authentication.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 07 September 2014 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

It's kind of strange to find I am developing a "library" of TOS set parts. Remember when I was first contemplating this project, and wondering if I should restrict myself entirely to screen captures, with no manipulation? What a dead end THAT would have been!!!

(The one TOS trope I do seem to be avoiding, deliberately, is humans as aliens. I've played with a couple so far, mostly tossing in skin color variations, but I somehow can't see myself doing a whole alien race that looks like us! Spent too many years DRAWING aliens that I tried to make as far from human as possible. Ah, well. As you'll see next issue, I have been trying for the Wah Chang look in my more prominent non-humans.)

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 07 September 2014 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Speaking of aliens...

After posting the above, I wondered if I would have much success with more elaborate manipulation of human faces. Something beyond the "he's got something on the bridge of his nose" approach popularized by TNG, but still not something that would overly tax my Photoshopping skills.

I grabbed a shot at random, and produced this:

After I was done, I checked the list and found that Ian Wolfe, the actor here, had not signed off on the use of his likeness. So THIS face you won't be seeing. But. . .   something similar?

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2014 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I think this is a good effort.  The ears are very unique, but the bright solid color still gives you that TOS flavor.

<< Prev Page of 215 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version