Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 205 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 21 2013 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I wonder what it's like to be normal?

+++++++++++

Boring and stupid, probably. Better not to know.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 21 2013 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I don't recommend it. :)

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 21 2013 at 5:52pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

And that was when I started to notice something I have mentioned before: that the crew of the Enterprise only very, very, very rarely goes "where no man has gone before". Many episodes, in fact, hinge on them following other ships -- which is what happened in the second pilot.

And when that started to churn in my urn, I knew I had the spine of my sequel -- Mitchell really WOULD end up going "where no man has gone before."

+++++++++++

Holy crap!

The wheels in my own head are turning now...I'm beginning to see just how interesting such a story could be!

I may not want to leave this ship, not yet. I may want another place. I'm not sure yet just what kind of a world I can use...

- "Use"? 

I don't understand it all yet, but if I keep growing, getting stronger, why, the things I could do, like, like maybe a god could do--!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: February 23 2013 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Since it's not a "spoiler", here's a partial peek at how I'm handling the obligatory flashback. . .

Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 23 2013 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Ah, I can hear DeForest Kelley's voice in my mind so clearly, reading those captions...!

(And I like the blue highlights on the flashback panels.  Nice!)

Edited by Shaun Barry on February 23 2013 at 8:18am

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: February 23 2013 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

An interesting conundrum hath reared its head, as I proceed with this.

One of my scenes features Kirk at the graves of Mitchell and Dehner, on Delta Vega. When Mitchell conjured up the gravestone for "James R. Kirk" the date of birth was 1277.1, and "death" 1313.8.

But when Spock is checking the background records on Dehner and Mitchell, her date of birth is 1089.5, and his 1087.7.

Meanwhile, when recording his log in the opening, Kirk gives the star date as 1312.4. When they arrive at Delta Vega, the date is 1313.1. That jibes with Kirk's "death" date, but what about those birth dates? Dehner is identified in the records readout as being 21 years old, Mitchell 23. That would work if the dates of birth are years, and they were born two years apart -- but Kirk's date?

Well, I guess if Mitchell could get his best pal's middle initial "wrong"...

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 23 2013 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

That flashback page is so much fun!  You come up with an excellent reason to rehash WNMHGB and I hear McCoy's voice, too.  Again your images and layouts are vastly superior to Fotonovelizations!  The reason I loved Fotonovels at the time was because they were the only way to relive specific episodes without catching a repeat because they predated consumer vcr technology.  Your version is leaps and bounds ahead. 

Regarding the stardates, I'd completely avoid them.  This was just the second pilot and apparently they hadn't worked everything out yet (or were distracted by getting the big picture right, which they did, thank Gary Mitchell!)

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 23 2013 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Y'know, I was gonna ask if you were planning on doing a flashback sequence. Very cool!

I also like how flashback-Spock's dialogue doesn't quite match his dialogue in the episode itself. It's a traditional comic convention, since flashback dialogue often serves the needs of the flashback itself, rather than being strictly accurate to dialogue from the original story.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on February 23 2013 at 1:22pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 23 2013 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

One of my scenes features Kirk at the graves of Mitchell and Dehner, on Delta Vega. When Mitchell conjured up the gravestone for "James R. Kirk" the date of birth was 1277.1, and "death" 1313.8.

++++++++++++

This is something I have wondered about--would Dehner and Mitchell's bodies have been brought back aboard the Enterprise for proper interment? Left on the planet? Brought to a Starbase for study?

Of course, we are talking about Jim Kirk, who intended that Spock's body be immolated in the Genesis Planet's atmosphere--an act which totally went against the family's wishes!

+++++++++++

But when Spock is checking the background records on Dehner and Mitchell, her date of birth is 1089.5, and his 1087.7.

Meanwhile, when recording his log in the opening, Kirk gives the star date as 1312.4. When they arrive at Delta Vega, the date is 1313.1. That jibes with Kirk's "death" date, but what about those birth dates? Dehner is identified in the records readout as being 21 years old, Mitchell 23. That would work if the dates of birth are years, and they were born two years apart -- but Kirk's date?

++++++++

This is one of those things I'm happy to ignore.

It's also interesting to note that Dehner was born in the city of "Delman", street 1489, while Mitchell was born in the city of "Eldman", street 8149.

And, as an aside, I certainly don't think those ESP test records were supposed to be current, since that would mean that Kirk would have met Mitchell when the latter was around eight years old! Lockwood and Kellerman were both just shy of 30 when the episode was produced, and I'd say the characters are around that age. Mitchell being only a few years younger than Kirk sounds about right.

Or, were those tests supposed to be recent, and ESP tests part of a standard Starship physical?

Edited by Greg Kirkman on February 23 2013 at 1:48pm

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: February 23 2013 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

This is something I have wondered about--would Dehner and Mitchell's bodies have been brought back aboard the Enterprise for proper interment? Left on the planet? Brought to a Starbase for study?

••

This is one of those "For the purpose of my story..." moments.

Also, since Kirk entered in his log that both had died in the line of duty, bringing the bodies back for study doesn't seem an option.

(Kirk's spurious log entry also plays a part in my story!!)

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: February 23 2013 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I also like how flashback-Spock's dialogue doesn't quite match his dialogue in the episode itself. It's a traditional comic convention, since flashback dialogue often serves the needs of the flashback itself, rather than being strictly accurate to dialogue from the original story.

••

I'm very much playing this the way I would with a comicbook flashback -- pertinent events, to inform the uninformed, with JUST enough attention to detail that a rabid fan will (hopefully) excuse compression and other such literary shenanigans!

This is also a pretty densely packed episode, as I began to be reminded as I was selecting my visual "quotes". If I didn't start hacking and slashing, I'd end up with most of this "new" story being an adaptation of the original!

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: February 23 2013 at 3:24pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I consider you quite skilled in the art of the comic book flashback, JB.  I'm thinking of Phoenix's funeral in "Elegy" from UNCANNY X-MEN, and the anniversary issue of CAPTAIN AMERICA.

This is a perfect example of how your comic book storytelling sense is perfect for a project like this.  From the shot selection to the use of blue borders for the flashback scene, you have made all the right moves.

I love this!!!!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 23 2013 at 11:41pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Random thoughts:

* All this talk makes me want to rewatch the original episode! Still in my
top ten, I think!

*As noted, I never questioned Mitchell's death, and it also occurs to me
that he may have survived phaser fire via a telekinetic shield, rather
than Superman-style invulnerability, thus allowing him to be mortal
enough to be crushed.

* On the flipside, I've certainly thought about--and mentioned--the
(intentional or not) connection between the episode and the Dark
Phoenix storyline. I have wondered how the far the parallel would go,
had Mitchell lived. Looks like we might be seeing how!

Are there Asparagus People in the STAR TREK universe, I wonder?

Edited by Greg Kirkman on February 23 2013 at 11:43pm

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: February 24 2013 at 6:11am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

*As noted, I never questioned Mitchell's death, and it also occurs to me that he may have survived phaser fire via a telekinetic shield, rather than Superman-style invulnerability, thus allowing him to be mortal enough to be crushed.

••

Assume that to be true -- Mitchell was able to react to Kirk spinning and firing fast enough that he could get that "shield" up. Given how long it took for that rock to fall on him, wouldn't he have had time to protect himself?

Speaking of those powers, here's a peek at the single most elaborate bit of "construction" so far. . .

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 24 2013 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I really like the electrical effect.  Looks like you added the figure in the foreground (presumably Dehner) as well as possibly adding the left hand and lower torso of Mitchell as I recall that shot of his upper torso and right hand zapping Dehner at the end being closer (all this is from faulty memory, of course, so who knows.)  Still, all your manipulations here are seamless and great!  BTW, I think I'm as excited about this project of yours as anything comic-related I've seen in at least a decade!  As a major fan of TOS, this is like getting a ice cold carafe of Kaferian Apple Juice after weeks roaming the desert!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: February 26 2013 at 5:51am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Looks like you added the figure in the foreground…

••

That single image was built from these pictures:

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: February 26 2013 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

All pretty memorable shots; the last was the one I was recalling above.  If I hadn't, I would have had no clue what you did because it's quite convincing.  It's funny the stuff you know.  I haven't seen "Where No Man..." for a couple years probably, but somehow that episode in particular is imprinted on me, seemingly shot for shot, perhaps because it was such a strong childhood experience.  In general I find certain long ago memories from childhood seem far more vivid to me than much more recent memories.  As would Spock might say, "it's not logical, but it is often true."

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: March 02 2013 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Tinkering with this a bit, this morning, I realized one of the things to which I am going to have to pay close attention is Spock's "bangs". They got longer as the series progressed, so when I grab a shot from a first season episode I will have to occasionally "lengthen" them to match my other shots.

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: March 03 2013 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Glad it's still moving forward! 

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: March 03 2013 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Glad it's still moving forward!

••

Oh, yeah! In fact, yesterday I did a little experiment, and did a "dramatic reading" of a couple of pages, to get a sense of how long they would take if acted out. Did this by way of calculating how long this "issue" should be, if I restrict myself to the length of a TOS episode.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: March 09 2013 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Up to 11 pages!

This has been an interesting exercise. Even if I don't actually finish it, I've learned a lot about my own "process". I started with the rough outline I'd had in my head for several decades, and then allowed it to twist and warp under the dictates of which pictures I could find. Scenes undergo subtle, and sometimes not so subtle, changes, as I work with the pictures that are available.

Blending different images has proved fun, too. For example:

Which character wasn't in the original shot? (Greg Kirkman! Wait for others to guess!)

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 09 2013 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Sulu certainly looks like he belongs, so my instinct would be that he's the one who was inserted (b/c you're usually tricky about these things-)   But, purely guessing, Scotty's hair looks like 2nd season whereas Sulu (and the angle of his control panel) looks like 3rd season, so I'll say Scotty was added.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 09 2013 at 8:25pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I believe Scotty was addressing an entirely different helmsperson in that shot, although I can't recall in which episode. I'll roll the die and guess that Sulu was the insert.

Byron Graham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 09 2013 at 8:38pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Yeah, I think Sulu was the insert. He looks a little too sharp around the edges. His right arm seems to have some pixellation along the bottom.

Edited by Byron Graham on March 09 2013 at 8:40pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 09 2013 at 9:13pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

My question is...shouldn't the red alert light on the helm console be flashing in-sync with the one on the wall? Hmm.

<< Prev Page of 205 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version