Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 448 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2013 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Rarely have I been so happy to have been wrong!  Bring on the Klingons!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2013 at 4:09pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Well Mr.Byrne I picked up my copy today. I thumbed thru it to check out the layouts and to check out your photoshop work. I found only one or two instances that seemed a bit off.  But of course I noticed them only because I was looking for them. I think you've achieved a remarkably high level of quality in the technical aspect of this project. The story part I don't even question will be fantastic. 

JB overall thou I'd say I am very happy with my purchase and I think you did a wonderful job. I look forward to what comes next.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 11 December 2013 at 5:16pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

. I thumbed thru it to check out the layouts and to check out your photoshop work. I found only one or two instances that seemed a bit off. But of course I noticed them only because I was looking for them.

I must be reading this incorrectly. You STARTED by looking for things that were WRONG?

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2013 at 5:41pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Just finished -- couldn't get to a store today so I got it on iTunes. This was serendipity in a way-- the comic book is so amazingly effective at BEING an old Star Trek episode that seeing it on a screen only enhanced the experience (I am definitely going to read it with music sometime!). I'll get a hard copy soon.

There is so much to applaud! The effect of "sequels" is rarely to enhance the original, but this story does it. This story is a "classic" adventure in the best sense-- I feel like I learned more about all these characters whom I already know so well-- (I'm speaking of Kirk and Spock here-- and I'm being vague to AVOID SPOILERS). I would like to especially applaud things that happen on the last page. I actually got a tear in my eye.

Bravo! Encore!

Edited by Mark Haslett on 11 December 2013 at 5:44pm

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2013 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

So, still thinking about this unique comic book-- I want to mention how appropriate and effective the casting of images is. The facial expressions and the angles, the lighting, the dialogue, and every aspect of the storytelling reflects so much obvious consideration for not only what tells the story, but what tells the story in the manner of classic Star Trek. Jim's expression at the end of the story sticks in my mind.

It is a hell of a thing to have just found a lost Star Trek episode. I don't think anyone else could have pulled it off. This is the work of, as Will Eisner once put it, a "master storyteller." This is something special, coming close to realizing a long time dream of many Star Trek fans. Is this as close to a lost episode as there will ever be? It's awfully darned close!

Michael Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2013 at 6:40pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I peeked at the lengthy preview as I await my order from Midtown. Boy, I'm glad I did in this instance. It reads exactly as a lost Star Trek episode. The characters are perfectly scripted. I am so excited to read the entire thing.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2013 at 6:52pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Heres a Youtube link to 25 min of OT music with occasional sound
effects for those who want to try a possibly random, but possibly
interesting experience of reading to a soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZxLVXw8mbU

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2013 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I must be reading this incorrectly. You STARTED by looking for things that were WRONG?
~~~~~~~~~~
You didn't read it incorrectly. I wrote it incorrectly. Hopefully I can clear it up what I meant with this post. 

I don't look for mistakes. I thumbed thru it to see how you crafted the novel. Much in the same way I would have admired your work had you drew it. Before reading I always admire the work than I try to analyze the work that went into a project. To see how you did what you did. Mind you that I do this with everything thing not just your work.  

The only reason I mentioned something was because in a previous post. The George Lucas related comments you made. They were on my mind. 

So ultimately I was meaning that I didn't think there was any reason that you would need to change anything. I realize what I wrote before wouldn't convey this.  

The reason I mention that two things that stood out to me. Wasn't intended to mean they were mistakes. They just caught my eye in a strange way.  After getting to the last page I thought how great a job you had done. Having followed this thread and knowing how much work actually goes into the photoshop work you've done. 

To have only two instances out of all the shots that you did, that's impressive. I feel both gratitude to you for doing this as well as being happy for you.  

I was hoping to not be so long winded but I can't help it. Hopefully this clears up what I meant.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2013 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'm a few pages into reading when I had to stop.  A most wonderful thing is occurring in my head. As I'm reading the story I can almost hear the background music. As I'm reading the words I can imagine the actors voices. 

Is anyone else experiencing this? Or am I loosing my grip on my sanity?

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2013 at 10:00pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Okay all finished.  Well worth the wait.

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2013 at 6:02am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Thank you JB.  It was great.  It took me back to TOS - the only "real" Star Trek to me.  Fantastic job.  

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2013 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I managed to snag my LCS's last copy of Strange New Worlds yesterday afternoon (and got an enthusiastic endorsement of it from the shop owner as he was ringing up my purchase!). JB, what a pleasure this was to read. I really enjoyed the story, a fitting sequel to one of my favorite TOS episodes. The fotonovel format worked out very nicely, and your handling of Our Heroes was spot-on...I could very much "hear" the dialogue spoken in the actors' voices.

Side-notes--I liked getting to meet the wily rodent-creatures of Dimorus, and I enjoyed a certain character's cameo appearance in the epilogue.

I look forward to the next one, and I hope there are more after that!

Edited by Ted Downum on 12 December 2013 at 7:35am

<< Prev Page of 448 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version