Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 448 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2013 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Read it, loved it, can't wait for the Mirror story next year.  Although I found the non-violent ending rather TNG Season 1 in tone.

JB - Early in the story, as Kirk is walking on the planet and we read his thoughts shortly before he sees the garden, there is one panel where Kirk has a communicator held up by his mouth...but he isn't talking to anybody.  Can you clarify what was going on in that panel?

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 December 2013 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Early in the story, as Kirk is walking on the planet and we read his thoughts shortly before he sees the garden, there is one panel where Kirk has a communicator held up by his mouth...but he isn't talking to anybody. Can you clarify what was going on in that panel?

••

Recording his log!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 December 2013 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I enjoyed a certain character's cameo appearance in the epilogue.

••

I can no longer remember if it was Chris Ryall who suggested that appearance, or if I suggested it and Chris really liked it. Either way, the idea was to tie "Strange New Worlds" into the little corner of TREKdom I have been carving out for myself.

(Curiously enough, the actor involved also has a one-page appearance in the next photonovel -- as a different character!)

++++++

I look forward to the next one, and I hope there are more after that!

••

Looking more and more likely all the time!

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 December 2013 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

This book is fantastic - I just wanted to check out how the photomontage looked in print, so I thought I would read the first few pages.  I ended up reading the whole book!  I got sucked into it and forgot about the fact that these images were an assembly from the show, and I just fell into the story.

I think people will be drawn to this because it is such a unique process, but the secret weapon that makes this book work is that JB nails Kirk's voice.  I knew JB could capture McCoy's voice based on the excellent FRONTIER DOCTOR series, but you really capture Kirk and Spock in this one.  Finally, Kirk takes center stage in a JB Star Trek story. 

And of course the story flows like the best comic book. You don't notice bad panel and word balloon choices until they are done wrong.  This story shows JB's masterful skill at choosing just the right moment in just the right size panel.  It turns out you are an excellent DP, JB!!

This has been so exciting and fun to follow, JB.  Thank you for the amazing new chapter in the TOS universe, and thank you for sharing the process with us here on the Forum!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 December 2013 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Meanwhile, to whet your whistles, here's a peek at a spoiler-free page from "The Mirror, Cracked".

Altho that's Captain Koloth appearing in the background of the Klingon bridge shot, the character is not in the story. The figure is playing a generic Klingon, and his head and shoulders are hidden by a word balloon.

I may do a little manipulating before all is done, in case the head gets uncovered in potential foreign editions.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 December 2013 at 10:19am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

That page looks awesome!  The Klingon bridge fits right in alongside the Enterprise bridge.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 December 2013 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Ted D:  "I enjoyed a certain character's cameo appearance in the epilogue."

••

JB:  "I can no longer remember if it was Chris Ryall who suggested that appearance, or if I suggested it and Chris really liked it. Either way, the idea was to tie "Strange New Worlds" into the little corner of TREKdom I have been carving out for myself.

(Curiously enough, the actor involved also has a one-page appearance in the next photonovel -- as a different character!)"

As a big fan of your Star Trek comic books, this was an AMAZING moment!  It brought a huge smile to my face!

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2013 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Read a review of this on a website I frequent. Now, I've only seen the book from this thread, but their score and review struck me as more than a little unfair. In fact, it came off as if they didn't know how to review the book. Kind of surprising.

In the end, sales are all that matter, and it seems like it's doing well on that front. I might wind up getting this for my dad at some point. Too bad there isn't some well known gift giving holiday coming up shortly.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2013 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I like how that last page works even if one hadn't read any of JB's other STAR TREK works (because I bet this photonovel will get more attention than the others - it was on the front page of startek.com , for instance). Someone new can just react "oh, cool, __________ is a _________", not needing to realize that JB already covered that story.

Plus, I could swear that if some of the panels were converted to line drawings, the basic structure of body language and positioning would look like JB's usual artistic work.

And yes, I did enjoy the issue very much. Kirk, Spock and McCoy sounded spot on, and the expressions chosen for the dialogue were a perfect fit as well.

"Recording his log!"
Whoops, I didn't get that at first, but in a way that slightly disappoints me. The scene with "No James. You were not wrong." got an "ooh!" reaction from me because I assumed that mind-reading was involved.

Anyway this is just an opinion from a non-Trekkie!

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 12 December 2013 at 10:55am

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 December 2013 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Altho Kirk's log was often in first person, present tense, I do not recall any instance from TOS where the viewers were "reading his mind". Many a time, in fact, this was gotten around by having the log report be "supplemental", and NOT in present tense -- but that felt like a bit of a spoiler to me, as a fan watching the show. I mean, yeah, sure, we KNOW Kirk is going to survive the episode, but it takes a bit of the edge off if his log is actually a recording made after the fact.

I definitely wanted to avoid that aspect in this story!

(It should be noted that the Captain's Log also provides something -- as in my tale -- that comics have but STAR TREK didn't, and that"s "thought balloons". Typical of TV shows (and movies), characters speak to the audience in voice overs, or even talk to themselves.)

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 December 2013 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Read a review of this on a website I frequent. Now, I've only seen the book from this thread, but their score and review struck me as more than a little unfair. In fact, it came off as if they didn't know how to review the book. Kind of surprising.

••

Not to me! Forty years before the Mast have taught me to expect such reactions any time I -- or anyone else -- try something "different". It goes back to the old Hollywood clichι, in fact: Nobody wants to be first, but everybody wants to be second.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2013 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"Altho Kirk's log was often in first person, present tense, I do not recall any instance from TOS where the viewers were "reading his mind". "

It is "out of character", but we hear Kirk's thoughts in The Paradise Syndrome when he believes he is an Indian god and is walking through the woods thinking how very happy he feels.

A similar thought hearing incident happens with Spock in The Cloud Minders when Kirk is sleeping and Spock thinks about the class separation of this world, and how hot the guest actress of the week is.  Yeah...not sure who wrote that scene.

<< Prev Page of 448 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version