Posted: 19 December 2013 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

What is Super Spock?
Back to Top profile | search

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2013 at 4:48pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

What is Super Spock?
~~~~~~~~~~
It's just a shortcut for saying the increase in Spock's mental abilities from the beginning of the series and the end and the movies.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 19 December 2013 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

One question: the multi-colored "pickup sticks" visible by the Enterprise hull damage were a striking visual. They remind me of that long pole the crewman is feeding at one point in "Charlie X," but I haven't the foggiest notion of what they do; is that just visual business or did you have a structural or mechanical purpose in mind for them.

One of my favorite geek-out moments in TOS is when Charlie Evans frees himself from the room in which Kirk and Spock have attempted to imprison him. He accomplishes this by making the whole bulkhead vanish. As a result -- and this is the geek moment -- we see INSIDE the bulkhead. It's just plastic tubes, probably picked up from a local plumbing supply store, but it looked SO cool.

Showing the damage the Klingon blasters had done, I wanted to evoke those pipes -- so I made some with my 3D modeler. Slightly less complex than the Klingon bridge and corridors I built for the second photonovel!

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2013 at 8:38pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

It's just plastic tubes, probably picked up from a local plumbing supply store, but it looked SO cool.

Come to think of it, the long tube we see that guy pulling looks like the same one they also used when the bulkhead was removed, right down to the red yellow red markings... stretching that budget again!

[Edited to correct formating - JB]

Edited by JohnByrne2 on 20 December 2013 at 7:56am

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 20 December 2013 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'm sure the Property Master bought a few hundred yards of that piping in bulk!

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2013 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Now that it is out there, JB, is there any more you can share about the
way this story came to you? For example, I wonder if the seeds of this
story didn't take root the first time you saw the fate of Gary Mitchell?

I appreciate how much this story feels like a classic episode with its
own reason to be-- yet it also picks up old threads and brings them to
satisfying conclusions. I could imagine this all coming from one big
inspiration or from many combined or something else.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 December 2013 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Now that it is out there, JB, is there any more you can share about the way this story came to you? For example, I wonder if the seeds of this story didn't take root the first time you saw the fate of Gary Mitchell?

That's one of the many things already discussed in this thread. Don't think there are really any "secrets" -- ie, background story -- left to tell!

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2013 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

JB: That's one of the many things already discussed in this thread.
Don't think there are really any "secrets" -- ie, background story -- left to
tell!

Poor reflection on me then-- I've been reading this thread obsessively. I
might have skipped some posts discussing the story to avoid spoilers.
Time to read it all again with new eyes...

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 December 2013 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Something curious I have noticed in several reviews of "Strange New Worlds". The reviewers refer to parts of the story being told in the form of "inner monologues" and that this prevented said reviewers from fully emersing themselves in a "lost episode".

To which I say "Huh?"

There are NO "inner monologues" in the story. The closest we come to such is Kirk's log, and if that doesn't feel like TREK to a reader, then I don't know WHAT s/he's been watching!

Feels a whole lot like the AMADEUS/"Too many notes" complaint!

(There have also been one or two complaints about the flashbacks. TOS didn't do flashbacks, say those complaining, so this, too, pulls the reader out of the "lost episode" experience. But, of course, TOS DID do flashbacks, and the form of them served as my model in my story. I'm talking, of course, about Pike's experiences on Talos IV, where he is made to relive his adventure on Rigel.)

paul naring
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2013 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Well I've just come back from my Comic book store ( Calamity Comics - hi boys !!!) raving about it and they're going to order more.

As for these negative reviews, tell them to read this years Avengers annual if they want see what bad is.

The photonovel fleshes out a normal episode of TOS almost as if there was a bigger budget and thats ok. Its a like a movie version of the series.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 December 2013 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The photonovel fleshes out a normal episode of TOS almost as if there was a bigger budget and thats ok. Its a like a movie version of the series.

I feel that some fans want to impose certain "rules" which, in a broad sense, MAKE no sense. As I have said before, were I to cleave too closely to the limitations of the series (technology, budget, etc) I would be in great danger of lapsing into parody.

I was discussing with Chris Ryall just the other day the notion of allowing into my stories certain elements of scientific discovery made SINCE TOS went off the air. Personally, I see no reason not to, and Chris agrees. I mean, we know now, for instance, that a quasar is not a nebula somewhere inside the borders of the Milky Way. Probably scientists didn't think that when "The Galileo Seven" was written. But should I be limited, if I ever get the urge to touch upon quasars, to portraying them as in that episode? Methinks not!

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2013 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I wonder if some people are having a "why isn't Superman's hair blue in the movies" reaction to the captions. They see text, so they read it as a caption or as word balloon narration, rather than as the voiceover effect it's meant to have.

An overly literal reading and an inability to separate form from function.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 448 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version