Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 448 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 December 2013 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I wonder if some people are having a "why isn't Superman's hair blue in the movies" reaction to the captions. They see text, so they read it as a caption or as word balloon narration, rather than as the voiceover effect it's meant to have.

An overly literal reading and an inability to separate form from function.

And a few pages back, some folk were wondering why I showed Kirk using his communicator to record his log!

Back to Top profile | search

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2013 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

And a few pages back, some folk were wondering why I showed Kirk using his communicator to record his log!
~~~~~~~~~
When I first saw the panel I wondered why he was doing that. But my wondering had been because I didn't think the communicator was a recording device. I quickly realized that he could be just talking to the computers on the ship. Which made sense. 

Maybe the reason why others questioned that was for different reasons than mine. But I think they should have done what I did think about it and they would have come to the correct conclusion. 

It's small things like that JB that I believe are great about good stories. They make you have to think about what's going on. It immerses you even more in the story if you have to engage your mind. Not everything has to be spelled out for you. Well done JB.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2013 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

About your use of flashbacks in the story. I don't see why people complained. They didn't take up too many pages. they serve to catch up readers who may not have seen TOS. For those of us who have you also showed some of the events that they talked about on the original episode but didn't show. Like Gary taking the dart for Kirk. I appreciated that very much.  I really liked Gary Mitchell. As much as I would have loved it if there was a way to have brought Gary back. I was glad that you gave him a happy ending(In a manner of speaking). 

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2013 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The more I re-read, the more I appreciate little continuity bits, like Kirk, Mitchell, Kelso, McCoy and Spock on Dimorus looking for rodents / footprints actually looking DOWN at the ground during that discussion; finding appropriate photos of everyone's gaze oriented to the floor must have taken extra time.  Those rodents are a hoot, too; the creature in the panel where Mitchell is running, phaser in hand, yelling "Jim!" makes me smile every time.   I can really hear the voices of Kirk, McCoy and particularly Spock in the dialogue.  Spock isn't always the easiest character to nail but he just sounds "right."

Regarding the Commodore appearance on the last page, I wonder if the unshaven character in the third to last panel might be quiet homage to another more ill-fated Commodore (yes, I know he's in the wrong uniform... and plenty blurry / not enough of a likeness to get in trouble... just wanting to confirm my imagination is running away from me!)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 December 2013 at 5:18pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Unshaven character?

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2013 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Got my copy last weekend. Really liked it. I could actually hear the voices of the characters as well as hear the music for the series running through my head. Felt like an episode of the original series.

I enjoyed the use of characters throughout the story. Glad to see more of Gary Mitchell.

Happy to see the Star Trek universe is in good hands.

Very excited about the next one coming out.

Cory Vandernet
Byrne Robotics Member
Henchman

Posted: 23 December 2013 at 8:00pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The "Inner monologues" confusion is surprising to me. These critics who claim to be 'huge' Star Trek fans somehow don't recognise the 'voiceover' as 'Captain's Log, Supplemental' which was used a number of times in TOS. Maybe adding 'Captain's Log, Supplemental' at the beginning of said sequence in the trade would solve the 'problem'. (Wow, I feel like Jack Kirby with all the quotation marks.)

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 December 2013 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The "Inner monologues" confusion is surprising to me. These critics who claim to be 'huge' Star Trek fans somehow don't recognise the 'voiceover' as 'Captain's Log, Supplemental' which was used a number of times in TOS. Maybe adding 'Captain's Log, Supplemental' at the beginning of said sequence in the trade would solve the 'problem'. (Wow, I feel like Jack Kirby with all the quotation marks.)

One of the earliest writing "tricks" I learned was to read the stuff aloud. Gives a sense of how naturally the words would flow if spoken as actual dialog. This sort of nudged me away from too many "Captain's Log" prefixes. I hoped the color coded captions would be sufficient to inform the readers this was a continuous narrative.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2013 at 10:54pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I think it boils down to the communicator never being used in TOS to
record a log entry. It makes perfect sense for Kirk to do so, of course,
but you have to THINK a bit when reading this issue to figure out what
Kirk is doing. Some people just don't like to think!

As an aside, the communicators use the same moire-patterned "data
discs" that the tricorders do, so there's really no reason to think that
communicators couldn't be used for recordings, playbacks, etc. The
interchangeability of the discs would also presumably allow a tricorder
to analyze recordings made by a communicator, etc.

Luke Styer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2013 at 6:01am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I never had trouble understanding that Kirk was recording his log, but I do think the odd "Captain's Log, Supplemental" packs a little extra Star Trek punch.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 24 December 2013 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I do think the odd "Captain's Log, Supplemental" packs a little extra Star Trek punch.

There's a "Captain's Log", a "Captain's Log, Supplemental", and two "Captain's Personal Log" captions. All color coded.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2013 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Unshaven character?

Since you don't know to what I refer, obviously "it was just my 'magination... running away with meee..."

<< Prev Page of 448 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version