Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 450 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS - Origins and Updates Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 14 March 2014 at 4:34am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm trying to remember--you've never even met Shatner or gotten his autograph, right? I recall your mentioning that you met Takei, at least.

I've met Takei and Koenig, the latter more of a "glancing blow" than an honest to gosh meeting.

Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2014 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

JB, have you manipulated any of the images to change a character's line of sight, or facial expression? I know it could be tricky and look wonky if not done right, but it could be one way to get more mileage out of a limited amount of photo reference.

Gotta add that it's really neat that you are getting to continue the series!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 14 March 2014 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Occasionally I've needed a slightly different expression -- usually more of a frown -- and I've found this can be accomplished by judicious use of Photoshop's Smudge and Sharpen tools. Eyelines can be shifted with the Clone tool.

Varying degrees of success. Luckily, there are so many images available, I can usually find the one I want.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2014 at 7:42pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Occasionally I've needed a slightly different expression -- usually more of a frown -- and I've found this can be accomplished by judicious use of Photoshop's Smudge and Sharpen tools. Eyelines can be shifted with the Clone tool.
~~~~~~~~
Just out of curiosity I ask this. JB, have you tried using the liquify filter? You can achieve some nice effects with it. On  the occasions that I've had to do photo manipulation.I've been happier with the look i've gotten from using it.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 March 2014 at 5:20am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

JB, have you tried using the liquify filter?

I've played with it for various effects, tho not in this project.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2014 at 6:11am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

JB, have you tried using the liquify filter?

I've played with it for various effects, tho not in this project.

~~~~~~~

Thanks JB

```

JB this past evening got to thinking about the various Trek series finales.

The fact that TOS didn't really have a series finale. Makes me wonder was it better that we didn't get one. 

This leads me to two questions I'd like to ask you JB.

Have you ever thought about doing the final mission of their five year mission?

My other question concerns the NX 01 crew. You have me intrigued by your suggestion that the NX crew doing something that gets their exploits erased from time. 

Have you ever given thought to telling that particular story?

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 March 2014 at 6:27am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

In days of yore, shows very rarely had "finales." Most often, they were just cancelled, often without warning. (I recall reading that the cast and crew of BONANZA found out they were canceled literally on their last day of shooting. "Don't bother to come back tomorrow," basically!)

In many ways, I prefer this. Even tho TOS ended on a particularly dull thud ("The Turnabout Intruder"), we were at least left with the idea that the starship Enterprise and her doughty crew were still sailing the spaceways, and would for many years to come. (The idea that they had only ONE "five year mission" is a recent addition that, like many of the bad ideas that have attached themselves to TREK, seems to have percolated up from fandom.)

Which is a longish way of saying no, I have no interest in doing a "final" story for that crew and ship.*

As to the NX-01, although I have almost negative interest in that show and crew, I would be delighted if Paramount asked me to "wrap up" their story in a way that cleared them out of the TOS timeline. (It should be noted that the Abrams movie, by mentioning Captain Archer, did sort of shunt those stories into that "parallel universe.")

* Since I am not doing my stories in chronological ordered, I HAVE wondered if it might be possible to do a "third season" show that could have all the trappings of that trek into darkness, and yet somehow get it RIGHT.

paul naring
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2014 at 6:44am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

* Since I am not doing my stories in chronological ordered, I HAVE wondered if it might be possible to do a "third season" show that could have all the trappings of that trek into darkness, and yet somehow get it RIGHT.

For me seeing the photonovel restored my faith in the TREK franchise after being put off by NuTrek. In my mind i've looked at ithe novel like a season four. I think making corrections to what ENTERPRISE and NuTrek got wrong is a good idea, mostly because of your enthusiasm and interest JB.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 March 2014 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

For me seeing the photonovel restored my faith in the TREK franchise after being put off by NuTrek.

That's a mighty high compliment. Thanks!

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2014 at 9:17am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

For me seeing the photonovel restored my faith in the TREK franchise after being put off by NuTrek.

That's a mighty high compliment. Thanks!

~~~~~~~~~

I feel the same way JB. As I have said in another thread. NUTrek has gotten me to  a point that I get angry at the film. Deep down angry.

So much so that I can not even look at the film without feeling sick to my stomach. I thought thanks  to JJ abrams the Star Trek was over for me. If this was the direction the franchise was going in I'm thru with it.

But the good news surrounding your photonovels. Have given me hope that the Star Trek I know and love isn't gone after all. 

Saying thank you doesn't quite seem good enough JB. I wish there as something more I can say. But the truth of the matter is that I am beyond thankful to you.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 March 2014 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Pretty sure I have mentioned this before, but as I contemplate future stories for this series, I find myself once again frustrated by the inability to do one thing of which STAR TREK made good use, at least in the early days: guest stars.

So far, my stories have been tending to concentrate on the Bridge crew, and/or aliens who are actually computer models (or Klingons!). But Roddenberry's original pitch, about how strolling down a corridor might bring us into contact with a guest star who would launch us into a story -- this remains elusive.

I solved one "guest star" problem, with Chris Ryall's help, by actually "casting" one of IDW's TREK artists, who provided pictures of himself in the necessary positions (head only -- the body I got elsewhere). This kind of thing can only go so far, of course -- tho it makes me wonder if I should suggest to Chris that we generate some interest in the book by having a contest in which the winner can "guest star" in an upcoming story.

(Remembering here that I did this to raise money for the March of Dimes, back in the MidOhioCon days, and it didn't work out too well!!)

Nevertheless, you can be reasonably sure you'll be seeing friends of mine turning up occasionally as Starfleet officers appearing on viewscreens to give Kirk orders. Tho Walt Simonson recently sent me a current picture of himself that had me imagining casting him as a "Space Viking"!

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2014 at 5:48pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'm sure I don't understand the likeness rights issues; can you promote a recurring extra to a speaking part, or even guest star?

Weird idea:
Paramount likes the book, could they give IDW a deal on likeness rights to other '60s shows, like Mission: Impossible? You mentioned considering a romance. If Barbara Bain were the guest my mind would be blown!

<< Prev Page of 450 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version