Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB: Designing She Hulk (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2013 at 9:30pm | IP Logged | 1  

Do they make 'em like Raquel Welch anymore?

Yowza.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2013 at 2:40am | IP Logged | 2  

I always thought it looked like this style Welsh. But I had that cover on a super-8 movie, so.

Noah Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2013 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 3  

How tall did you imagine She-Hulk was, JB?  I think OHOTMU had her listed at 6'7". (why do I remember these things?  I don't know.  I just do.) But I recall a few panels of her in an elevator with Wyatt Wingfoot where she was towering over him, and Wyatt's hardly a hobbit himself.  Did you picture her over seven feet, or was she just wearing incredible heels?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 February 2013 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 4  

A trick I learned early on is to draw tall characters TALL, and short characters SHORT. You can see this very much at work in my days on X-MEN, when I routinely drew Colossus and Wolverine much taller and shorter, respectively, than their "official" heights.
Back to Top profile | search

James Howell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2013 at 11:36pm | IP Logged | 5  

Amping up a character's physical attributes for maximum effect on a comic page...the essence of cartooning. Sometimes that is lost on today's "realistic" comic art. I miss a lot of the expressiveness in today's art styles.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2013 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 6  

Lars, totally see the similarity between those two pics, but you lost me with the Super-8 bit.

Caleb M. Edmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2013 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 7  

"A trick I learned early on is to draw tall characters TALL, and short characters SHORT."

************************************************************ ********************
JB,  I Guess the question I have is in reference to proportion: How do you draw 'tall' without making them look enormous or gangly and how do you avoid making small characters from looking 'stout'?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 February 2013 at 8:59am | IP Logged | 8  

"A trick I learned early on is to draw tall characters TALL, and short characters SHORT."

JB, I Guess the question I have is in reference to proportion: How do you draw 'tall' without making them look enormous or gangly and how do you avoid making small characters from looking 'stout'?

••

These points depend very much on the characters. Sometimes, I WANT them to be gangly!

But, unfortunately, this isn't something I can easily quantify for you. When I do a commission piece with Wolverine against a white background, with nothing to give him "scale", posters will often comment on how I have nevertheless managed to make him look short. How do I do it?

Tourist in New York: How do I get to Carnegie Hall?

Cop on the Beat: Practice!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2013 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 9  

James Howell wrote:
...Amping up a character's physical attributes for maximum effect on a comic page...the essence of cartooning. Sometimes that is lost on today's "realistic" comic art...

It seems to me that some of today's comics artists exaggerate still, but they do it WAYYYY too much. Colossus, Juggernaut, and others are not only drawn big and tall by a lot of artists these days, they are drawn huge to the point that they are literally giants.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2013 at 10:26am | IP Logged | 10  

Lars, totally see the similarity between those two pics, but you lost me with the Super-8 bit.

The super-8 reel cover looked like that. Possible they looked at that movie poster or Stan Lee did, but if you have to cover up breasts and pussy I'm sure you end up with a suit like that.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 February 2013 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 11  

It seems to me that some of today's comics artists exaggerate still, but they do it WAYYYY too much. Colossus, Juggernaut, and others are not only drawn big and tall by a lot of artists these days, they are drawn huge to the point that they are literally giants.

••

This is not recent, unfortunately. Over the years we've seen characters like the Thing and the Hulk -- who used to be able to "disguise" themselves with a trench coat, in good ol' pulp tradition -- enlarge to gigantic proportions.

In many ways, it reflects a kind of artistic laziness. Jack Kirby's version of the Thing might have had trouble fitting thru a normal door, but Kirby did not depend on drawing Ben as a, ahem, colossus in order to show us how strong he was. He SHOWED us how strong he was!!

DC Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2013 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 12  

Rachel Welch was the female inspiration for a few superheroines back in the day!  If I recall correctly, didn't JB used her as a model for Phoenix as well? 

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version