Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: The original Human Torch, android or genetically engineered human? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2013 at 11:36pm | IP Logged | 1  

Carl Burgos created an android. He even gave a blood transfusion to Lady Jacqueline Falsworth. Which gave her Superpowers. As far as i'm concerned it's cut and dry.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 March 2013 at 5:28am | IP Logged | 2  

An android is an artificially created human being -- Frankenstein's creation was the first.

••

Frankenstein's monster was stitched together out of death tissue which was then reanimated, so he's not an android. More of a fancy kind of zombie (tho, with a working brain, that definition doesn't really attach well, either).

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 March 2013 at 5:34am | IP Logged | 3  

According to Webster's Dictionary an android is "a robot made to resemble a human being" which describes the original Human Torch, the Vision, the Mad Thinker's Awesome Android, Data and Dr. Roger Korby.

••

The word "android" has not been used correctly much outside science-fiction stories written by authors who were being REALLY proper about it. There are a lot of terms that started in sci-fi that worked their way into the real world under different guises. I get annoyed every time I hear "test tube babe" used to describe in vitro fertilization. A real "test tube baby" is grown to term in an artificial womb ("test tube") not just fertilized in a petrie dish!

Oddly enough, one of the few places I have seen "android" used correctly was in an old Supergirl story, in which she creates android doubles of her parents, noting that they are not robots, but have all the organs, etc. (As a kid, this creeped me out in the the same way as did those statues Superman had made of all his friends for the Fortress of Solitude. There was something. . . disturbing about him sculpting a naked Lois to put clothes on. Something disturbing about Kara creating artificial versions of ALL her parents' body parts!)*

–––––––

* Yes, even as a kid I tended to over-think stuff!! You think I got this way overnight??

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 March 2013 at 5:41am | IP Logged | 4  

While we're on this topic, it should be noted that "robot" entered out lexicon via Karel Capek's play ROSSUM'S UNIVERSAL ROBOTS, or R.U.R.

The term was coined from robota, a Czech word meaning "forced labor". The original robots, then, were in the form of human beings, tho mechanical. The term has settled, in modern times, upon any machine that does the work of a man.

An early production of R.U.R.:

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2013 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 5  

As Peter notes, in the correct sense of the word an "android" is an artificial human, not merely a human-looking robot. An android has the whole kit, heart, lungs, kidneys, veins, blood, sweat glands, etc, but they are artificial.

JB, do you think that the word "artificial" in describing what an android is might be why a lot of people often wrongly label androids as robots? Could it be that they consider "artificial" to be the same as "mechanical"?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2013 at 12:44pm | IP Logged | 6  

Android and robot aren't mutually exclusive terms. Some robots are androids and some androids are robots. 

I blame any confusion on George Lucas for using "droid" to refer to robots. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version