Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Question for JB on layouts (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2013 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 1  

Hi everyone. First time poster here. I have a question for Mr. John Byrne regarding layouts for a comic page. 

I read in the FAQ's you draw up 1 page for the entire issue that may include layouts but when you come to draw an individual page do you layout at a smaller page size, size up and lightbox/trace? or do you layout straight on the board at full size?

Thank you in advance for allowing a forum where questions like this can be asked and allow me to praise your amazing body of work. (some of the commisions on this page just blow me away!)

Edited by rob fleming on 14 March 2013 at 1:48pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 March 2013 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 2  

Different artists approach this in different ways. Neal Adams, for instance, showed me how to fold a standard piece of typing paper so as to produce 16 rectangles roughly the same proportions as a comicbook page, and use them for doing thumbnails.

Gil Kane used to do his "thumbnails" full sized, often to then be handed off to assistants for transfer to the boards.

And in between, about as many different methods as there are artists to use them. And I've tried just about all of them, at one time or another.

Which is the long way of saying my personal evolution has taught me that I want to draw each page the LEAST number of times, to keep the energy at maximum. So now, and for about thirty years, everything happens on the board. Quick layouts to capture dynamics and gesture, tighten for details and facial expressions, then on to the inks (or finished pencils if it's a job I'm not inking myself).

Back to Top profile | search

D. Alan Allred
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2013 at 5:06pm | IP Logged | 3  

Regarding pencils, JB, I have always wanted to ask you: what lead type do you use for the under-work? I have noticed on some of your penciled pages here and elsewhere, I can see a faint gray sketch lines that aren't entirely gone over by the finished pencils.

I tend to favor a red pencil for the sketches and then a no. 2 for the finished pencils, and then drop the red channel out in Photoshop after inking. I have tried the non-repo blue pencils, but they tend to disappear when I scan them in.

Thanks.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

rob fleming
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2013 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 4  

Amazing! I always find it really difficult to "take in" a full size page. I need to draw around half size and scale it up then lightbox. Which I have found can reduce the spontaneous look but overall gives me a better image.

Do you consider any one part of your process more important than the others? 

Thanks for the thoughtful response. 

Back to Top profile | search | www

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version