Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB about Kirby & 70’s Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 7:19pm | IP Logged | 1  

I think that Kirby Spidey is one of the best I have seen him do. Outside of Conan I think the characters are easily recognizable. Overall, I do like the Romita version better. When it came to action poses and comicbook storytelling I feel Kirby was King. When it came to iconic poses and promotional images I believe no one was better than Romita. His stuff was prettier to look at. Which, I think, works better when you are trying to sell lunch boxes and posters. It also made sense when he "corrected" covers. It gave the Marvel line a more uniformed look consistant with their merchandise in the 70's.

Back to Top profile | search

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 2  

And getting back to the initial post:  Looking at this really made me think that this is the way Marvel should have been using Kirby at the time.

John Romita was the perfect guy for that job, and I'm glad Kirby still got to create great stuff like Captain America, Black Panther, 2001, The Eternals, and Devil Dinosaur.  Putting him on layouts for other people at that stage in his career sounds too much like a demotion to me.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 7:35pm | IP Logged | 3  

Had Kirby became art director instead of Romita maybe I would have a different opinion on just using him for promotional materials later in his career. Before Kirby went to DC he was the poster boy for the Marvel house style. However, when he left Romita quickly filled the void and made the look of Marvel more commercial and mass market friendly.

It is similiar when Romita took over Spider-Man. I think Ditko's run is near perfect, but it is hard to argue that Romita's style made the book more popular than before. His work is so damn good looking.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 7:49pm | IP Logged | 4  

In the mid-60s I could see Kirby doing this as breakdowns for someone else to finish, but this looks more like pencils which Romita "corrected" when he did the inking.

This isn't really that unusual.  You can see a dramatic difference between Kirby's work with Sinnott in the late 60s and his work soon after when he left for DC.

Edited by Robert Bradley on 08 April 2013 at 7:54pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2013 at 10:18pm | IP Logged | 5  

It's amazing that Kirby was doing layouts for other artists--like Romita--in the 1960s in addition to his regular workload.  The guy was unstoppable then.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2013 at 12:33am | IP Logged | 6  

I think what I enjoy most about JB's work is that he "gets" Kirby's style *and* Neal Adams's style. His FF and HIDDEN YEARS are just two obvious examples. I can't think of any other artist who can draw Kirby or Adams-designed characters as well. Oh, and he can "channel" Ditko, as well!
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Plunkert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2013 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 7  

I'm not entirely sure if Kirby should have been insulted when his work was redrawn by others but he should at least have been paid for his efforts.

I don't know if that was the case with 77 calendar art but apparently he drew and inked this Hulk poster in the early 70's and someone at Marvel ordered it redrawn by Trimpe and Kirby was not paid for his work.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 April 2013 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 8  

I don't know if that was the case with 77 calendar art but apparently he drew and inked this Hulk poster in the early 70's and someone at Marvel ordered it redrawn by Trimpe and Kirby was not paid for his work.

••

Source?

Brad Danson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2013 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 9  

That Hulk poster loses A LOT in transition.  The pose doesn't really work well for Trimpe's style.  And it IS a slap in the face if Kirby didn't get paid for it at all.  I don't see how in the world they couldn't have paid him for layouts though.

QUOTE:
Putting him on layouts for other people at that stage in his career sounds too much like a demotion to me.

Promote him to co-art director with Romita.  Kirby would be responsible for the beginning stages of art and Romita would be responsible for the finishing stages of art.  (Which probably would have given Romita some more free time to do actual comic art in this period...which would have been a very good thing.)

Ed Fahey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2013 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 10  

Man I like the look of that Kirby Hulk piece. I wish he had been cut loose in the 70's on that title and we could have seen what would have happened. I'm guessing he would have used a very sci-fi flavor as in the original issues.

David Plunkert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2013 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 11  

••

Source?

iii

"Kirby, King of Comics" by Evanier, page 159. There's no reference to the source of the story that I can find. Since its related as one of the "last straws"  before Kirby left Marvel I assume its an anecdote from Kirby.

Brad Danson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2013 at 10:08am | IP Logged | 12  

QUOTE:
I'm guessing he would have used a very sci-fi flavor as in the original issues

Yeah, I'd say so too:  What PLANET is the Hulk suppose to be on in that poster? :)

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version