Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies
Topic: Live-Action Gatchaman for 2013 (Part 2) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 1  

A 30-second teaser trailer has been posted (just a quick look at the actual helmet designs):

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-04-11/live-act ion-gatchaman-film-teaser-streamed

Back to Top profile | search

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 2  

And a preview of the G-Suits:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-04-11/live-act ion-gatchaman-film-cast-previewed-in-g-suits

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 10:27am | IP Logged | 3  

I hope to get a chance to see this.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 4  

I would love to see this!
Back to Top profile | search | email

Rick Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 5  

Kotaku.com had a decent-ish (i.e., slightly clearer, and with more of the suit in the frame) preview of the suits from the teaser, with a comparison to the original cartoon - here it is:

Looks a bit too 'Metal Gear Solid', with the body armour, faceted visors, fine print on the armour plate, central emblem being turned into a decal on the shoulder armour, etc. Granted, it's no indication of the actual tone of the movie, but it's not normally a good start when 'faux-realism' and 'Seriousness! start getting worked into the visuals for a movie - odds are that the same attitude to fidelity and tone encompasses the production as a whole.

Fingers crossed, still - I'm looking forward to what Tori Matsuzaka does with the lead role, and I do like Ayame Go(u)riki (although I suspect her casting is more because her agency really seems to be pushing her hard down all avenues, rather than being the best possible casting for the character).

Still, would have preferred a more 'traditionally-superhero-y' look (as always) - particularly when the previous live-action show based on Gatchaman (in this instance, a loose tribute, rather than an adaptation) was such a roaring success:

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2013 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 6  

Thanks for those comparison pictures, Rick!

I'm getting a "BUBBLEGUM CRISIS Hardsuit" vibe from those pictures...  The movie has gotten a plus by getting the SFX director from ALWAYS 2 (the Godzilla sequence) and the live-action SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO, but when the description "more edgier" is for the new outfits, I start to have second thoughts...

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2013 at 5:43am | IP Logged | 7  

Japanese are following the Dark Knight fashion ?

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2013 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 8  

Thanks for the pics.

I have NO interest in seeing this and I love the cartoon.

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2013 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 9  

Somehow in their re-design they lost the idea that the costumes are not only supposed to be bird-like, but that you can instantly tell them apart as well as see that each is based on a different bird (and can reasonably identify which bird on several of them)
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rick Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2013 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 10  

Interesting little factoid (though also one that gives me the distinct impression that certain bods in charge are having fun being self-indulgent, at the cost of fidelity to source) - all the military-hardware-style text on the sides of the 'helmet' and such include different prog rock/thrash metal album titles:

Ken = 'Judgment is Coming' (?? - might just be a generic phrase. Correct me if someone knows a possible source!)
Joe = 'Starless and Bible Black (not a Dylan Thomas reference, or Stan Tracey - instead, King Crimson)
Jun = 'The Great Gig in the Sky' (Pink Floyd)
Ryu = 'Ride the Lightning' (Metallica)
Jinpei = 'Larks' Tongues in Aspic' (King Crimson again)

...not sure of any logical connection between any of the above and the characters, or whether it's just the equivalent of me making a live-action 'Thuderbirds' movie, and having decals on the ships like 'Birth of the Cool' and 'Them Dirty Blues' ("because I can, dammit!!").

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2013 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 11  

Bubblegum Crisis indeed, Bill.  I look forward to seeing this version of Gatchaman.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2013 at 10:20pm | IP Logged | 12  

I'm terrified that it will go in the same visually powerful but grimly surreal and freaky direction that the Cashern live action movie did. 

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2013 at 9:02am | IP Logged | 13  

QUOTE:
Somehow in their re-design they lost the idea that the costumes are not only supposed to be bird-like, but that you can instantly tell them apart as well as see that each is based on a different bird (and can reasonably identify which bird on several of them)

Exactly. I would not have recognized a single one of those photos above if they hadn't been placed next to their cartoon counterparts.

I'm curioius to see how they re-design Berg Katse (Zoltar if you prefer the BOTP version).

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 April 2013 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 14  

Is it just conceit that I see the cartoon characters as "white" rather than Japanese?  Granted, my introduction to the characters was Battle of the Planets so they were all speaking English so maybe that slanted the view even more.

But the live-action characters, terrible costumes aside, look wrong because I see the cartoon characters as a different race.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version