Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: 4 JB & then Forum re StarLord (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 5:04am | IP Logged | 1  

Mornin; JB...

The LCS had a blow-out sale on some hardcovers and I picked up one: Marvel Visionaries: Chris Claremont.  Several stories contained within are among my all-time favorites,  in particular Marvel Premiere #11.  I own a copy of the original magazine and Marvel's subsequent color reprint but haven't read it in a while.  Was amazed at how well it has held up over the years...what a rip-roarin' sci-fi adventure that was!  In terms of storytelling and design, that book was among the very best of your career IMO.  Do you have any thoughts about that project that you can share with us?  Thanks in advance.

Edited by Glenn Brown on 27 April 2013 at 5:05am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 5:24am | IP Logged | 2  

Do you have any thoughts about that project that you can share with us?

••

Uhm. . . .   no.

Weird, as I sit here thinking about it. STARLORD was clearly a significant turning point in my neophyte career. It was on the basis of that particular pairing of Terry Austin and myself that then-EiC Archie Goodwin decided to assign us both to X-MEN, so a good case could be made for "John Byrne" (whatever that means!) having really begun in that book.

Yet it left no real impressions in my brain. No "muscle memory", as I call it, of drawing the pages.

Back to Top profile | search

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 3  

It was on the basis of that particular pairing of Terry Austin and myself that then-EiC Archie Goodwin decided to assign us both to X-MEN

I always imagined that Iron Fist was used for that purpose.  The X-Men even showing up in the very last issue(as a test run?).
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 April 2013 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 4  

It was on the basis of that particular pairing of Terry Austin and myself that then-EiC Archie Goodwin decided to assign us both to X-MEN

I always imagined that Iron Fist was used for that purpose. The X-Men even showing up in the very last issue(as a test run?).

••

You know what they say -- when you "imagine", you make an "i" out of "mag" and "ine". . .

Oh, wait. That's not what they say, is it?

Over the years, I have often referred to the X-Men's appearance in IRON FIST as my "audition" for their book, but that was based on my not knowing that the truth was something else entirely.

As mentioned elsewhere, it was a few years back that Terry Austin gave me a "looking glass moment", as he mentioned, quite casually, how he and I came to be assigned to X-MEN, and suddenly I was in a different reality.

As most people know, Dave Cockrum was having trouble keeping up the production pace of X-MEN. (What should have been my third issue was a fill-in originally commissioned when it was assumed Dave would still be on the book.) What I was told by Archie, when he offered me the book, was that Dave was stepping down voluntarily, for the good of the book. It had to go monthly in the current shape of the market, and Dave understood he could not handle a monthly grind.

What REALLY happened, as Terry told me so many decades later, was that Archie saw the work in STARLORD, and decided we would make a good team on X-MEN, especially since the third part of STARLORD, Chris Claremont, was already there, and Chris and I were gaining attention on IRON FIST. So, step on, Archie approach Terry when he was in the office one day, and asked if he would be interested in inking X-MEN, if I was penciller. Terry said yes, so Archie then called me, and told me Dave was leaving and asked if I would be interested. (It should be noted that at this point, Dave probably didn't KNOW he was leaving!) I said YES! and the deal was set. Dave got nudged off the book, and Terry and I stepped in. A short time later, the book went monthly.

Back to Top profile | search

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version