Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2013 at 7:07am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I think a major failing of the prequels is the fact that the Jedi come off
as boring, arrogant characters. Kenobi is about the only one who has
some wit and energy to him, largely because of McGregor's charm. I
really wish McGregor had been given better material to work with,
because I can see him doing a bang-up job with the original backstory,
and pushing Vader into that volcano at the climax.

Thinking about the prequels, each of which I've only seen once, I think McGregor's work was the only part of them I really liked!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 May 2013 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The only real problem I had with McGregor was the same problem I often have when young actors play roles created by older actors -- the young actors are not convincing to me, since I know what the older actors looked like when young. McGregor looks nothing like the young Alec Guiness.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 May 2013 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I found myself wondering if there was any way to do the "real" story in the same manner as the STAR TREK fumetti I've been playing with. Unfortunately, I don't think there are enough images for what I need.

++++++++++

Yer killin' me, Byrne!

FIND A WAY, MAN!

••

Even the few panels in the TREK job that have required actually building scenes, instead of being able to use existing one, have shown me what an impossible amount of work this would be. Drawing it as a comic would be different, of course -- but I'm not particularly inspired to do that, either!

(And let's not turn this into another Kickstarter, or equivalent, discussion!)

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2013 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Yes, yes, of course I realize that this is an unrealistic prospect. A guy
can dream, right?

Speaking of it, I do hope the TREK fumetti is coming along well.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 May 2013 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Speaking of it, I do hope the TREK fumetti is coming along well.

••

Yup! Still haven't decided how long it will be. Sort of just letting it happen. Since each page "played out" represents about one minute, I find myself wondering if I should limit it to the running time of an episode, minus credits.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2013 at 4:16pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I find myself wondering if I should limit it to the running time of an episode, minus credits.
I'm confident the JBF would somehow find it in our hearts to forgive you if it wound up being Menagerie-length (or even the collective total of tribbles produced in 3 days assuming a litter of 10 every 12 hours), but go with your gut!

Bill Conway
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2013 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

JB, I love your version of Vader unmasked. SPECTACULAR! That’s what he should have looked like and that's probably what we would have seen if the camera had panned around while Vader was inside his "pod" in EMPIRE.

I guess when that mask finally came off in JEDI, Lucas wanted there to be a tender moment between father and son -- and THAT face would have been a huge distraction for the audience. Too bad.

I always would have preferred a Star Wars universe, where Vader was not Luke's father and Leia wasn’t Luke's sister.

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2013 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I always would have preferred a Star Wars universe, where Vader was not Luke's father and Leia wasn’t Luke's sister.

====

That's easy: just watch the original Star Wars!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 May 2013 at 10:19pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I guess when that mask finally came off in JEDI, Lucas wanted there to
be a tender moment between father and son -- and THAT face would
have been a huge distraction for the audience. Too bad.
++++++++++

I think Vader could have been unmasked without the audience seeing
his face. Luke's expression and reaction could have told the story very
effectively, leaving us without the Inevitable Disappointment of seeing
Vader unmasked. Sort of how they did it in the comic adaptation.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 20 May 2013 at 10:19pm

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 21 May 2013 at 5:49am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I think Vader could have been unmasked without the audience seeing his face. Luke's expression and reaction could have told the story very effectively, leaving us without the Inevitable Disappointment of seeing Vader unmasked. Sort of how they did it in the comic adaptation.

••

And just think! That could have been one more element Lucas lifted from Doctor Doom. How did he miss that!

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2013 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

CITY AT WORLD'S END

Are you considering making that adaptation, Sir?  I think you would do justice to that novel.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2013 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Thinking again recently about the early concept of Vader, and how far the films drifted away from it.

In the earliest drafts, the Sith were a warrior/pirate clan who were rivals of the Jedi. Vader was unconnected to them at this point.

Eventually, it was decided that the Sith Lords were a group of warriors who served the Emperor and did his dirty work. Several other Sith Lords appeared the third draft alongside Vader, who casually referred to him as "Darth". Some of Ralph McQuarrie and John Mollo's costume concepts were for generic "Sith Lords", indicating that Vader's suit was possibly the standard armor of the Sith Lords. This was all before the notion of the suit as an iron lung had been developed, naturally.

In the final film, the term "Sith" is never even mentioned--it's only seen in publicity materials and adaptations.

If one goes in knowing that bit of undisclosed backstory regarding the Sith, the thrust of the original movie is very clear. The idea is that the Emperor has put Vader--his right-hand Sith Lord--onto the trail of the Death Star plans, because they're hugely important to the survival of the Empire. Vader isn't part of the Imperial bureacracy, but he defers to Tarkin for the duration of his mission aboard the Death Star.

In the novelization, several Imperials even express concern that a Sith Lord has been "inflicted" upon them by the Emperor.

And, it seems that Vader is a somewhat unusual Sith Lord, since he was once a Jedi, and was instrumental in that organization's destruction (which perhaps explains why he's favored by the Emperor). In earlier drafts, the Sith Lords were all Force-users, but the final film indicates that Vader may be unique in that regard.

And the Emperor was just a puppet leader, who was controlled by Tarkin and the other bureaucrats. 

When you really start to break it all down, you start to see the how and why of Lucas' major story changes as the films progressed. How the Emperor became a Sith and puppet-master, etc.

Still wish he would have stuck with the original story. A lot of neat ideas that were never explored, unfortunately.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 02 June 2013 at 5:24pm

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version