Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 80 Next >>
Topic: Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice ~ SPOILERS start Pg 60 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2017 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

A petition has started for Zack Snyder (!) to take the helm of THE BATMAN... "Zack Snyder’s commitment to source material, extraordinary visual style, and previous experience in the DCEU makes him the ideal candidate," the petition argues, "especially when you factor in the influence Ben Affleck is STILL going to have on the film’s story and dialogue. The two working together just might make the best comic book film we’ve seen." 

Unbelievable.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2017 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"Commitment to source material "?

WTF are these people talking about. 
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2017 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"The two working together just might make the best comic book film we’ve seen." 

Hm. They must have read our time machine thread and decided to make this thing in 1964.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2017 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Where's the petition to keep Zack Snyder AWAY from anymore comic book movies...?

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2017 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"Zack Snyder’s commitment to source material..."

As previously noted by
Brian...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA*gasp*HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHA...

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2017 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Where's the petition to keep Zack Snyder AWAY from anymore comic book movies...?
----------------------------------

Edited by Steve De Young on 04 February 2017 at 12:04pm

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2017 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

How much money and fanbase does DC figure they can afford to lose on each new piece of shit movie?

The wife and I rewatched "Captain America: Civil War" last night. I disagree with the story concept, and really dislike it... and loved watching that movie again.

So DC is pissing in the wind and Marvel is laughing all the way to the bank. I guess that's how they want it...?

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2017 at 9:35pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Just tried to watch the first 6 minutes on HBO... even the opening credits were pretentious, ponderous, moribund and laughable... by the time the title card of Metropolis: Mankind Is Introduced to Superman popped-up, I thought to myself, "Oh, f* ck this."

Can't do it!!!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2017 at 9:49pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Still haven't done it, probably not gonna do it.

Do I get a chip, or something?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2017 at 12:05am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I also have managed to avoid this film like the moribund, gray, plague-infested corpse it so clearly is. Five minutes of Gal Gadot is not sufficient reward to get me to injure myself in this fashion. 

David Lopez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2017 at 2:00am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I have never, and will NEVER see any of the "Fantastic Four" shit-fests released by FOX. I love the comic and the characters too much to see them misused and abused that way. Those flicks simply don't exist as far as I'm concerned. You can live a happy life without subjecting yourself to that kind of cinematic torture. 

Sadly, in the case of BvS, I was among the many people who actually PAID to see this abomination.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2017 at 7:19am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Still haven't done it, probably not gonna do it.

Do I get a chip, or something?

----------------------------------------------------

Five minutes of Gal Gadot is not sufficient reward to get me to injure myself in this fashion.

Yes. Everyone who hasn't watched this deserves some type of recognition. Sadly, I will not be among that number. It didn't cost me anything to watch it...other than almost 3 hours of my life and possibly part of my soul.

Every minute Gadot is on the screen, she is fascinating, both as Wonder Woman and as civilian Diana. But those minutes are quite few and achingly far between. Otherwise, the movie is largely a dour, ponderous, and vexing affair.

Pin on your medals and wear them proudly as you watch WONDER WOMAN...which, at this point, looks a decent film.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 14 March 2017 at 7:20am

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2017 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Began watching this on a flight from Tokyo to Singapore and nearly walked out.  Then I remembered...

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2017 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

...and still had to strongly consider your options...

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2017 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

LOL

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2017 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Not really sure where to put this, but thought it was interesting.  Reeves, even in the "Hope-man" costume, still looks better as Superman than Cavill.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 15 March 2017 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

That "hope" nonsense is just SO annoying. It was bad enough, way back when, when we were told "Kal-El" was Kryptonian for "Star Child," but must the fanboys be allowed to shovel layer upon layer of contrivance and coincidence into EVERYTHING?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2017 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I'm a big fan of the clean and simple approach of the Golden Age Superman. The clutter which latter accumulated is fun, to varying degrees, but the three versions I most gravitate to are the early Siegel and Shuster stories (as well as the Fleischer shorts), SUPERMAN- THE MOVIE, and JB's own MAN OF STEEL.

In other words, Superman as the last survivor of Krypton, no career as Superboy, etc. Just the basics. 

There are certainly good things which came out of the expansion of the lore, but I'm just sort of sick of all the dwelling on Kryptonian stuff. At the end of the day, Superman's origin was just the excuse for his powers, not a story thread unto itself. It took a decade for the comics to really start exploring Krypton and the origin in detail. 

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 15 March 2017 at 11:37am

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2017 at 4:43am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I guess I didn't mind a little bit of Kryptonian lore in the stories, but yeah, in the 70s they really started digging in. I think the worst when it was implied that Superman suffered from Survivor's Guilt. With Supergirl. And Krypto. And the Bottle City of Kandor.

I would think that, were I a Superman level hero, the thing that would weigh most on me is everything I couldn't do. For every life saved, every mugging stopped, every crime averted, there are literally thousands more going on simultaneously. Shucks, stopping a smash-and-grab in Metropolis meant that Superman couldn't stop a murder in Cleveland or an arson in New Orleans.

But that way lies madness... and CERTAINLY pulls away from the basic entertainment that comics are supposed to be.

I don't recall too many moments in Batman v. Superman when either of them just stopped a crime... when the story was about what they do and not who they are. Another log to throw on the fire.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2017 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

...but the three versions I most gravitate to are the early Siegel and Shuster stories (as well as the Fleischer shorts), SUPERMAN- THE MOVIE, and JB's own MAN OF STEEL.

Same. If it were my job to introduce someone to the character, these are what I would lean toward. I don't have the Siegel and Shuster stories in my possession (other than a reprint of Action #1 somewhere), but I would sit them down to watch SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE.  If they were inclined to read comics, JB's MAN OF STEEL. Animation fans, definitely some of the Fleischer shorts.

The BvS and MAN OF STEEL films had all sorts of problems. I wouldn't number Cavill not looking the part among them. If one were to do a similar CG mash-up with him in the Chris Reeve suit, I think he'd look fine. All he's missing is a spit curl. Which George Reeves didn't have, either...

That was one of the great frustrations of MOS and BvS...I think they found a good guy to play Superman. They just didn't let him actually play Superman much...

...or dress him properly.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 16 March 2017 at 12:45pm

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2017 at 4:33am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Part of my introductory material to someone would include Filmation's "The New Adventures of Superman". You could leave out the Superboy episodes if you like. But those cartoons pretty well hit the nitty gritty, I feel... well, except for the Warlock. Good enough enemy, I think, but I wasn't (and am not) sure that this was the venue for new villains.

Then again... A.P.E. NICE! :D

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2017 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I've been listening to a lot of the 1940's Superman radio episodes, and
enjoying them quite a bit.

I'm a bit surprised that despite liking the Christopher Reeve Superman movie,
and thinking JB's work tops the Superman comic book list, that George Reeves
remains my Superman!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2017 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I liked the stylized S being Martha Kent's handiwork, myself.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2017 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I'm a bit surprised that despite liking the Christopher Reeve Superman movie, and thinking JB's work tops the Superman comic book list, that George Reeves remains my Superman!

I'm surprised he isn't mine. He was my first live action Superman. I loved the show, watched it daily. But then SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE hit when I was 9 years old and that was that. Christopher Reeve is "my" Superman, probably always will be.

Given my love of the character and comics, I was not a big fan of his books. I was a Marvel kid, primarily. Until JB's MAN OF STEEL and his follow-up work. I really enjoyed reading Superman comics during that time. Where comics are concerned, JB's Superman is "mine."

This is not a knock on Reeves, at all. I still think he was great, too. But when I think "Superman"...the image that pops into my head first is usually Reeve.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 18 March 2017 at 9:57am

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 1:42am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

BvS is making its rounds on cable and I had the unfortunate opportunity to watch it a couple weekends ago.  Oh jebus good god, but it's an awful mess!  With the exception of a few Ben Affleck moments, it's dreadful. One of the worst movies I've seen.  Not just superhero films but movies in general. It's a convoluted, dark, brooding, confusing cavalcade of crap .  No character emerges unscathed.  From a terrible portrayal of Lex Luthor to the way in which the general populace treats Superman as either a god or an invader to a Batman that honestly should be committed, it's downright terrible.  The half-assed apology for the epic battle in MoS that put millions of people in Metropolis and hundreds of people in Smallville in harms way coupled with the vision of Pa Kent meant to soothe the backlash from fans of a man that told Clark not to intervene to save people in the first film only added to the awfulness of BvS.  

It's an epic mess of a turd of a movie.  Glad it was just a lazy Sunday afternoon with literally nothing else to do rather than a paid date out with my wife and expectations running high.  Can't get those 2+ hours back.  Oh well. 

<< Prev Page of 80 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version