Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: JB and Squadron Supreme? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2013 at 8:24pm | IP Logged | 1  

Back to Top profile | search

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2013 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 2  

From a discussion here in 2010.
These are OHOTMU pieces by JB.

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2013 at 9:48pm | IP Logged | 3  

Yeah, I really think JB handling the art would have really made the Squadron Supreme series "pop" all the more! By the way, JB, did you have a hand in the redesigns of the Squadrons costumes for the series?

Aaron Most
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2013 at 10:11pm | IP Logged | 4  

I am a HUGE fan of the Squadron Supreme. I always thought that if I ever got up the....everything to get a commission, I would want it to be the Squadron. Of course, upon reading here and there, any talk about them on the forums, I kinda thought they might not be something Mr. Byrne was interested in drawing. I love the art above though. A nice treat!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 13 August 2013 at 11:19pm | IP Logged | 5  

Never got into the Squadron at all until the maxi series by Gruenwald.  Despite the uneven artwork, I loved that book.  Would have been elevated if JB had done the art I'm sure, but the original still holds a place in my heart. 

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2013 at 11:37pm | IP Logged | 6  

I loved the Squadron Supreme as a kid, but then I encountered Doctor Spectrum and the Squadron Sinister (who actually appeared first, but not to me), and it sure confused me.  Two versions of each character?  The Squadron Sinister was evil except for Nighthawk who was in the Defenders?

The Squadron Supreme Limited Series and Squadron Supreme: Brave New Order really won me over though.

Squadron Supreme by Carlos Pacheco -

Squadron Sinister by Sal Buscema -

Ah, the good ol' days when villains were courteous enough to introduce themselves when they showed up!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2013 at 11:43pm | IP Logged | 7  

Of course I was bound to be confused when they called the Squadron Supreme the Squadron Sinister on the cover the first time I encountered them!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 6:36am | IP Logged | 8  

Squadron Supreme by Carlos Pacheco -

••

My condolences to Dr. Spectrum on the accident which apparently cost him the fingers of his left hand at the first joint.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 6:39am | IP Logged | 9  

JB, did you have a hand in the redesigns of the Squadrons costumes for the series?

••

Yes. Those OHOTMU pieces were "desk corner jobs" -- drawn on a corner of Mark Gruenwald's desk while we discussed what he wanted for the characters. For some reason, those "desk corner jobs" seem almost always to skew slightly to the right.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 6:41am | IP Logged | 10  

Of course I was bound to be confused when they called the Squadron Supreme the Squadron Sinister on the cover the first time I encountered them!

••

The fact that there WAS both a Squadron Supreme AND a Squadron Sinister tells us how far Marvel had tumbled down the slope into DC-think.

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 11  

"Yes. Those OHOTMU pieces were "desk corner jobs" -- drawn on a corner of Mark Gruenwald's desk while we discussed what he wanted for the characters. For some reason, those "desk corner jobs" seem almost always to skew slightly to the right."

HA! I wouldn't have noticed that at all, but since you pointed it out, I see what you mean. That's funny.

JB, do you recall what the story was with the final character (next to Doctor Spectrum)? I can't make out his name. I don't recall him in the Squadron Supreme series or the follow up graphic novel. He looks cool, so I was just wondering.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 12  

When I was a kid I loved the idea of Marvel versions of the JLA.  Now I like them better the more they stray from being a JLA knockoff.  I guess that's why I've always liked the Squadron Sinister, but then again, they haven't been used as much and seem to be better integrated into Marvel as individuals.

Anyway, a list of the JLA analogs included in both groups -

IN BOTH THE SQUADRON SINISTER & SQUADRON SUPREME

Batman - Nighthawk (The Squadron Sinister's Nighthawk reformed and joined the Defenders, the original Squadron Supreme Nighthawk is deceased and was replaced by Neil Richmond)

The Flash - The Whizzer (the Squadron Sinister's Whizzer became Speed Demon)

Green Lantern - Doctor Spectrum (There have been several Doctor Spectrums in possession of the Squadron Sinister's Power Prism)

Superman - Hyperion (The Squadron Sinister's Hyperion is deceased and was replaced by another created by the Grandmaster)

IN THE SQUADRON SUPREME ONLY

Aquaman - Amphibian

The Atom - Tom Thumb (Deceased)

Black Canary - Lady Lark/Skylark (As Skylark she could be considered a Hawkgirl analog as well)

Firestorm - Nuke (Deceased)

Green Arrow - Hawkeye/The Golden Archer/Black Archer (Deceased)

Hawkman - American Eagle/Cap'n Hawk/Blue Eagle (Deceased)

Martian Manhunter - The Skrullian Skymaster

Plastic Man - Shape

Wonder Woman - Power Princess

Zatanna - Arcanna/Moonglow

Edited by Robert Bradley on 14 August 2013 at 8:40am

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version