Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Canadian Superman Anniversary Stamps (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2013 at 3:00am | IP Logged | 1  

Superman 75th Anniversary

I noticed that the set of five postcards is crediting the cover to Man of Steel #1 Special Collectors Edition as drawn by Dick Giordano. I thought Dick Giordano was just the inker on this series. Is this a typo by Canada Post?

Too bad they are using so many modern images of Superman. Nothing at all from Curt Swan?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 August 2013 at 5:37am | IP Logged | 2  

Not including Curt is disgraceful. Beyond disgraceful. Canada Post should be deluged with protests. At the very least a formal apology should be demanded.

Giordano's studio did most of the inking for which he was credited -- most of it done by Frank McGlaughlin, as he himself told me years later -- and Dick, of course, had absolutely NOTHING to do with that cover. The work there, pencils and inks, is all mine.

Back to Top profile | search

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2013 at 6:25am | IP Logged | 3  

Failure on multiple levels.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2013 at 7:19am | IP Logged | 4  

Interesting to know to what extent DC was involved in, or actually made the picks.  It seems to me I'd go with Joe Shuster, Wayne Boring, Curt Swan, and John Byrne as major, historic Superman artists.  One can make a case for other artists--Dick Sprang, Al Plastino, Neal Adams, Ross Andru, Jerry Ordway, Jose Garcia Lopez, Jim Lee--and even argue that some of them were more accomplished artists than at least some of those named--but if we're talking historic contribution to the character, (and giving Shuster two covers, which I don't disagree with) these would be my four.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2013 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 5  

It's unfortunate that the need for the current crew to always assert their ascendency colors this collection so much. One would think that the 2004 Jim Lee cover would suit that need well enough, but no. We clearly had to have a pantless NuSuperman in the array as well. That is after all who Superman IS, they would insist. The others are simply faded reminders of who Superman was. Okay, fine. Whatever, but then why include the Jim Lee cover as well, giving the current crew a disproportion representation? Because they can, I would guess.

I, too, find the exclusion of Swan to be a crime against the man and history. The decision of which covers to use seems to have been made based on how iconic the image is. Obviously, the cover to Superman 1 belongs there. I'm also good with the inclusion of MOS #1's alternate cover, another iconic image one readily associates with the character.

The other Golden Age cover is there, I would guess, because it actually shows the character being "more powerful than a locomotive." That seems like thin reasoning to exclude Swan, Garcia-Lopez, Boring, and a number of other creators who contributed mightily to the rich history of Superman.

I suppose that the collection being Canadian would rule out any overtly American representations of Superman, such as Fred Ray's beautiful cover to Superman #14. Does anyone else have any suggestions of iconic, picture-perfect Superman covers that would have been better choices?

At the moment, this one comes to mind...

And maybe these...

Steven Legge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2013 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 6  

They don't seem to have an online general complaints contact, but they do have twitter and a facebook page for questions, Superman related complaints.etc.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2013 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 7  

So many of the covers of the Swan era were tightly focused on that month's story. I'm having trouble coming up with a suitable Swan cover to show the hero in his glory rather than simply caught up in this month's battle, romance, oddball situation, or evasion of Lois' snooping... Action #266 with Supergirl, Krypto, and Streaky is representative of the Weisinger era at least. Superman #300 perhaps?

My posting of Superman #11's cover is off, I know, given that I just said that two Golden Age covers was maybe not the best choice... Other cover images that I think might have served this collection well are Superman #254 (by Nick Cardy), #345 (Andru & Giordano), & #400 (although Chaykin is not a Superman artist, per se.)

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 25 August 2013 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 8  

It's unfortunate JB is not getting the proper credit.  It is exciting to see the art on a stamp, though

Most comic book readers know this is pure JB from an iconic cover:

Congrats, JB!!  That's pretty damn cool!!

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2013 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 9  

Apparently, there are two sets of postcards and stamps. The second set, with white backgrounds and shots of Superman in action include the work of Shuster, Boring, Adams, Lee, and a 2012 glowing red-eyed pic by Rocafort.

So, at least Adams and Boring did get in there.

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2013 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 10  

I was at FanExpo this weekend in Toronto, and Canada Post had a large size booth in the corporate area just for promoting these stamps. A very impressive display with very knowledgeable staff with whom I shared a brief conversation.

On the display wall the MOS stamp was credited to John Byrne. (The web site credit to only Dick Giordano must be some kind of oversight.)

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2013 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 11  

Nothing says Superman like:
  • 2012: Superman Annual #1, drawn by Kenneth Rocafort

Kurtis J. Evans
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2013 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 12  

I love it when an institution chooses to honor comic books, and people get mad because they pick the wrong ones. 

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version