Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: OT: Trip to NYC (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2013 at 4:08pm | IP Logged | 1  

I will be visiting New York City later this week! Last time was back in 2007.

Even though it´s a business trip, I would love to have some advice from the forum on places to visit, eat and drink!

And if anyone is up for a JBF meeting, let me know!

Edited by Flavio Sapha on 17 September 2013 at 4:09pm
Back to Top profile | search

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2013 at 5:15pm | IP Logged | 2  

You should use yelp.com as a resource to find places to eat and drink.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2013 at 5:59pm | IP Logged | 3  

Yelp isn't always useful.  They call up businesses and try to shake them down.  "Give us some money and we will remove the negative reviews you've gotten...otherwise they'll be right there at the top."  That sort of thing. 

Anyway Flavio, I'm on the other coast, hopefully some NY JBFers can help you out. 

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2013 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 4  

Some of us will be in NJ on Sunday attending the Comic Art Con.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2013 at 5:38am | IP Logged | 5  

NY Public Library is an extremely pretty building, go into the reading rooms.

I enjoyed riding on the Staten Island ferry, you can see the Statue of liberty and a great view of the whole city of NY. And it is free!!!

Juniors Cheesecake.

30 Rock is great, very pretty area.

Central Park is AMAZING!!!!

FAO Schwartz is a fun store.

The Guggenheim and the History Museum near Central Park.

The bus tours are expensive, but I like that I got to see so much of NY without driving.

Grand Central Station, BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!

John's Pizza is really good and in a cool building.

Edited by Jodi Moisan on 18 September 2013 at 5:40am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2013 at 6:19am | IP Logged | 6  

Flavio, I will second Jodi's recommendations- especially the Ferry.  Don't wait in line for things like the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building unless you have time as they eat into your day. 

Washington Square Park is nice.  See it before NYU completely overbuilds around it. And while it's hardly a tourist attraction, I always recommend the Upper WEest Side which is the general area I live in as it's a glimpse of non-touristy things and shows New Yorkers on their day to day.

And Jackson Heights in Queens will blow your mind.

Jeremy Boyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2013 at 6:56am | IP Logged | 7  

I go to NY a fair bit for pleasure..

Free things that are amazing.
1. The High Line - it's an old train tracks that have been converted to park space.  It's a must.  Runs from the meatpacking district for like 15 or 20 blocks.  You walk 30 feet above the streets next to the Hudson River.  Great views and people watching.
2. Central Park.  A must.
3. Staten Island Ferry.  Best view of the Statue of Liberty without paying for it.
4. The Williamsburg and Brooklyn Bridges are a fun walk - Williamsburg is better as it's less touristy and the Manhattan side is int he Lower East Side - very cool area close to Greenwich Village.  Then when you get over it you are in Williamsburg which has great hipster restaurants and bars.

In Manhattan I try to eat lunch at the Breslin which is a cool restaurant in the Ace Hotel.  Try the Lamb burger and have a cocktail.  

Another great dinner option is the Minetta Tavern - this is a great restaurant that has been around for years and has a lot of old photos of celebs on the walls.  Amazing steak.

PJ Clarke's is great as well - Frank Sinatra used to drink there.  They go there on Mad Men.  (Make sure you go to the original PJ's - the one by Bloomingdale's uptown).

Lots of great restaurants in Brooklyn too:

Roberta's Pizza - best pizza I've had in NY trips.
St. Anselm - awesome steak place.
Fete Sau - amazing BBQ (pulled pork, brisket, best bacon I've had).

If you're interested in bars I know several.

Joel Biske
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2013 at 7:43am | IP Logged | 8  

I'll second junior's Cheescake. 

Go to the Society of Illustrators up on 63 and Lex. Greg Manchess' show is there now upstairs. The Sendak show was still there downstairs when I was there, not sure if its still up. 

I went to Katz's Deli when I was there last month... FANTASTIC , but expensive. Expect to share the $18 sandwich with a couple friends.

I was in and out quick doing a sketch weekend for Disney Interactive, so I never made it off Manhattan. I'd have hit the Met and the Guggenheim with more time. And Illustration House (if they even let you in.... are they generally open to the public?)

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2013 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 9  

Flavio the little Church beside the 9/11 site is really cool too. It is where Washington went before being sworn in. Also Ed, who is an amazing tour guide BTW,  took me to Wall Street, which is really cool.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2013 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 10  

OK!!!

Love the recommendations!

The tourist spots, I am down with, I´ve done the Statue of Liberty thing (IMO, the best part is going through the immigrant´s museum in Ellis Island).

But the stuff that Jeremy and Joel and Ed and Jodi are talking about...that´s gold!

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2013 at 5:40pm | IP Logged | 11  

Having been to NYC once, I'm far from an expert, but my two daughters are now there for University so I have a mixture of first hand (below) and second hand (I'll quiz them tonight and update this post)recommendations:

Metropolitan Museum of Art -- Located on the east side of Central Park, this is a spectacular museum with a little bit of everything. I would plan a day to see as much as possible, and stop for lunch at their French Cafe.

Museum of Modern Art -- This five story museum spans the gamut from awesome to "Really...?". The top floor has some fantastic works by Monet, Van Gogh and Dali. That one floor is worth the price of admission.

Grand Central Station -- Spectacular building, great place to people watch, and plenty of dining choices for any budget.

United Nations Building -- Just a couple of blocks east of Grand Central Station, this was a fun place to visit. Take the guided tour of the facility, which includes the General Assembly and the Security Council, and their museum.

And as you walk from Grand Central Station to the UN, you'll pass the Chrysler Building and -- perhaps more importantly -- the NY Daily News Building, where you can walk into the lobby, see the giant globe and suddenly realize this was where they shot the Daily Planet scenes from Superman. (That was an accidental discovery we made while passing by -- I knew they'd shot at the Daily News Building, and I had it on my list of things to look up before stubbling on it -- that thrilled my Superman loving-daughter and her Superman-loving old man.)

And, of course, the all important comic book store recap:

Jim Hanley's Universe -- Located across the street from the Empire State Building, I found this store to have the most extensive stock of the stores I visited.

Mid-Town Comics -- I visited two of their locations, one a couple of blocks north of Grand Central Station and the other off Times Square, and found them to be well-stocked stores.

Forbidden Planet -- Located near Union Square, this one the store I'd heard most about, but found it the least impressive. BUT it is right next door to an incredible bookstore, The Strand, which if you like to wander around new and secondhand bookstores I highly recommend.

Edited by Matthew McCallum on 18 September 2013 at 5:45pm

Joel Biske
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2013 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 12  

I hit Strand and Forbidden Planet.... Strand was the better of the two. It has both new AND used so I didn't see any "must have" buys there, but a cool place. Forbidden Planet was disappointing. I'd been there the only other time I've ben to NYC, back in 88 and it was GREAT! Now its a glorified toy store.

On the good side, most everything is within a couple block walk of a subway. If you aren't used to riding a subway, take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the different lines... I used Google MAps on my iPhone and it gave me step by step instructions on how to get there.... walking, driving, or public transportation...

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version